Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Can't believe its been a year already !!

Can't believe its been a year already !!

Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Beccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to all
Default Can't believe its been a year already !!

Well we arrived on 18th November 2008 to drizzle, could not believe it, never stepped foot in Australia before so was expecting warm sunshine !! Talk about shock

Started in a holiday rental for the first 5 weeks so had to start looking where we wanted to live straight away, we had friends in the western suburbs so when we visited them a week after arriving they suggested we look in there area. We did and here we are in Bellbowrie western suburbs of Brisbane and its beautiful wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Spent the 1st 3 to 4 months settling in and waiting for the shipping which arrived the 1st week in February thank god I really missed my washing machine !!

Started looking for work in January and that really wasn't as easy as we thought it would be due to the down turn but finally in March I started a role with a large company, my office in Queens Street which is fab and I love it. O/h settle too in a nice position he's a mechanic and I'm a HR Manager.

Kids got settled in school really quickly aged 13 and 17 but the eldest has now left not sure what he wants to but but no question of going back to Uk likes it here too much.

My biggest dream was to have a pool in the gardens well nearly there, we have been renting since December last year and will get the keys to our 5 bedroom lowset with pool on 25th November and can't wait, life will be lush !! We had some trouble getting a mortgage due to the lack of working history here but we made it in the end.

Things are very different here you take it for granted that just because they speak the same language it'd be simular but its not even some of things they say I have no idea what there on about.

Well did we do the right thing giving up really good jobs and a stable lifestyle to move to the other side of the world have never explored it before hand? I'd say yes definitely we are much happier here we've all made loads of friends have a great social life and the weather to match what more could a girl ask for

Life is definitely what you make it and we're all making a lovely life here in Australia, off camping on the beach next weekend with 2 other families and
our 1st visitors from the UK arrive on 20th December so we've booked a trip to Cairns with them early January, there always seems to be something to look forward to and every weekend is like being on holiday.

Will we go back NO WAY don't think we would even for a holiday if anyone wants to see us there all welcome and I know they'll have a better time here than we would over there.

Well thats it for now sorry for boring everyone just thought maybe there are still some January 08 applicants around who may remember me !!

If you planning on moving out keep an open mind and make the effort it will be rewarded in the end.

Beccie
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can't believe its been a year already !!

Lovely upbeat post! Thank you.

JOHN
Old Nov 11th 2009, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Berkshire, UK for now... flying to Brisbane 11th June!
Jane and Jason has a spectacular aura aboutJane and Jason has a spectacular aura aboutJane and Jason has a spectacular aura about

Great update, can't wait to get over there ourselves, not too much longer hopefully.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Beccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jane and Jason View Post
Great update, can't wait to get over there ourselves, not too much longer hopefully.
Thanks guys good luck its a real rollercoaster going through that visa process but soon forgotten once you get here !!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Good post but could you update your location please?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:06 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your first year
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Paula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Can't believe its been a year already !!

Hi

Enjoyed your update.

Paula
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Good darts mate
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update. Very jealous of you.

Originally Posted by sallyclaire View Post
Good post but could you update your location please?
Bump for Sally.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

Great update, lovely to read such a positive thread.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Cairns in January......we love it up here
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beccie View Post
Well we arrived on 18th November 2008 to drizzle, could not believe it, never stepped foot in Australia before so was expecting warm sunshine !! Talk about shock

Started in a holiday rental for the first 5 weeks so had to start looking where we wanted to live straight away, we had friends in the western suburbs so when we visited them a week after arriving they suggested we look in there area. We did and here we are in Bellbowrie western suburbs of Brisbane and its beautiful wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Spent the 1st 3 to 4 months settling in and waiting for the shipping which arrived the 1st week in February thank god I really missed my washing machine !!

Started looking for work in January and that really wasn't as easy as we thought it would be due to the down turn but finally in March I started a role with a large company, my office in Queens Street which is fab and I love it. O/h settle too in a nice position he's a mechanic and I'm a HR Manager.

Kids got settled in school really quickly aged 13 and 17 but the eldest has now left not sure what he wants to but but no question of going back to Uk likes it here too much.

My biggest dream was to have a pool in the gardens well nearly there, we have been renting since December last year and will get the keys to our 5 bedroom lowset with pool on 25th November and can't wait, life will be lush !! We had some trouble getting a mortgage due to the lack of working history here but we made it in the end.

Things are very different here you take it for granted that just because they speak the same language it'd be simular but its not even some of things they say I have no idea what there on about.

Well did we do the right thing giving up really good jobs and a stable lifestyle to move to the other side of the world have never explored it before hand? I'd say yes definitely we are much happier here we've all made loads of friends have a great social life and the weather to match what more could a girl ask for

Life is definitely what you make it and we're all making a lovely life here in Australia, off camping on the beach next weekend with 2 other families and
our 1st visitors from the UK arrive on 20th December so we've booked a trip to Cairns with them early January, there always seems to be something to look forward to and every weekend is like being on holiday.

Will we go back NO WAY don't think we would even for a holiday if anyone wants to see us there all welcome and I know they'll have a better time here than we would over there.

Well thats it for now sorry for boring everyone just thought maybe there are still some January 08 applicants around who may remember me !!

If you planning on moving out keep an open mind and make the effort it will be rewarded in the end.

Beccie
was just looking up jan 08's so glad to read your post glad all is so good for you (missing the snow in eastbourne)
all my best wishes karen x
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

BECCIE!! Just seen this!

Glad to hear all is going so well. Your new house sounds wonderful.

Another Jan 08 here. I think we were one of the last months to sneak through before the DIAC started cutting down on visas. I hope everyone else is doing well.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 9:20 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Beccie
great to see its all gone well for you Beccie I remember you!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

graham wade will become famous soon enough

Beccie
Hi we are moving out to Joseph Avenue in Bellbowrie/Moggill on the 20th of April and are looking forward to it no end