Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye Oz - Hello USA for Weasy and co

Bye Bye Oz - Hello USA for Weasy and co

Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

electricbaby27 will become famous soon enoughelectricbaby27 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bye Bye Oz - Hello USA for Weasy and co

[QUOTE=Weasy;6505151]OMG you're right Caz, Nottingham is a distant place now - I hardly ever think of the place and if we were to move back to the uK ever then it definitely wouldn't be Nottingham (not that I ever intend going back to UK....)

How are you guys getting on?[/QUOT

Yes still lovin it, kids settled really well and made lots of friends. We are building a house which should be ready in Sept, can;t wait...I'm over this rental its sooooooo cold
Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

First time I've checked in on BE for months and then I read your post Lou!

I never had you down for leaving Oz but as you say, sometimes opportunities cannot be ignored! Its great news for you anyway.

When are you intending to go to the states, do you have a date set?

All the best with the move anyway, I'm sure it will be a great experience for you.

Keep us updated.

Stu
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:17 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stu,

I wondered if you'd see this. We expect to be there by the end of August. House is on the market, first open yesterday, four people expected to offer (two came back through today). Visas apparantly only take 2-4 weeks. All very scary - I too never thought I'd be leaving Oz but we can't turn this job opportunity down.

How's things with you?

Lou
xx
Old Jul 5th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weasy
Hi Stu,

I wondered if you'd see this. We expect to be there by the end of August. House is on the market, first open yesterday, four people expected to offer (two came back through today). Visas apparantly only take 2-4 weeks. All very scary - I too never thought I'd be leaving Oz but we can't turn this job opportunity down.

How's things with you?

Lou
xx
Sounds like things are moving fast, you'll be over there before you know it!!

I'm fine thanks Lou, I've started a new job at a large UK firm in Manchester and we're looking for a house around our local area, but not a lot happening other than that really. Its a lovely summers day here today too, absolutely lashing down with rain!! lol, I'm sure you still remember them!

All the best with your move to the States anyway. Keep us updated with how you're getting on.

Stu
Old Jul 5th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Best of luck Lou please keep in touch. I hope we will meet again. Now I am even more sorry we never met up while you were in Melbourne (shortly after our arrival).

Best of luck.

Are you selling your log cabin? You loved your home so much.

Keep in touch

Cheryl
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:05 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

i just love it when i read posts like this. i think you guys are so upbeat about change that you make good things happen to yourself.
all i can say is.......
its Australias loss and wish you the best of luck in your new life. keep us posted
For those of you that remember us..... Well, after 17 months here I am sorry to announce that we are moving on. Hubby has been offered a great job that we would be crazy to turn down and it’s in Salt Lake City, USA.

We must be amongst the luckiest migrants alive. Chaz landed his job 2 weeks after arrival, we loved the place from the start, got the best exchange rate in the last few years, bought a lovely home, made great friends – many of whom we’ll remain friends with. However, we feel that this is the path we are meant to take. If we hadn’t come to Adelaide then Chaz wouldn’t have got this job and the company wouldn’t have then offered him a big promotion and relocation package.

I am very sad to leave, I love living in the Adelaide Hills. We are aware, however, that Chaz is at the top of his field in Adelaide so we can’t turn this down. We do have 3 1/2 years left on our PR visas to come back if it doesn’t work out though so all is not lost for us and Australia.

We have had a very full life here. Lots of lovely barbies, camping in Aldinga and then the Flinders Ranges (where we also did 4 wheel driving) – never camped in the UK. Took up body boarding, got a dog (she’s going too – not sure how happy she’ll be about snow! She’s only got little legs). Had trips to Sydney and Melbourne. Seen whales, cuddled koalas, had our own koalas in our garden, watched the amazing bird life in our garden. We’ve had the best social life we’ve had since having kids.

I’ll miss friends firstly, the beach, the birds, the views as I drive ‘down the hill’ the eucalyptus smells and just the whole community here in the Hills. I have just loved it and this is why I don’t like it when posters are very negative about the place. I understand that this is their experience but I always want to let potential migrants know that the move can be amazing. I’m not saying we’ve had no problems along the way, we have, but nothing that couldn’t have happened anywhere. The only thing I will concede to the negative lot is that Adelaide may not be the place to be for a great career path, depending on your area of work.

On the plus side is that there are whole new adventures ahead of us and the States are nearer to the UK so it will be cheaper to visit (too much snow though). The UK is definitely off the radar for us (at the moment, never say never) but I do hope to come back to Oz eventually (visas allowing).

I will, of course, not be able to resist still checking in on here though I guess that will fade after a while if we settle there as much as we have here.

So it's bye for now guys and I wish you all well on your journeys.

Last edited by soapy©; Jul 6th 2008 at 12:07 am.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:01 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Bye Bye Oz - Hello USA for Weasy and co

For those of you that remember us..... Well, after 17 months here I am sorry to announce that we are moving on. Hubby has been offered a great job that we would be crazy to turn down and it’s in Salt Lake City, USA.

We must be amongst the luckiest migrants alive. Chaz landed his job 2 weeks after arrival, we loved the place from the start, got the best exchange rate in the last few years, bought a lovely home, made great friends – many of whom we’ll remain friends with. However, we feel that this is the path we are meant to take. If we hadn’t come to Adelaide then Chaz wouldn’t have got this job and the company wouldn’t have then offered him a big promotion and relocation package.

I am very sad to leave, I love living in the Adelaide Hills. We are aware, however, that Chaz is at the top of his field in Adelaide so we can’t turn this down. We do have 3 1/2 years left on our PR visas to come back if it doesn’t work out though so all is not lost for us and Australia.

We have had a very full life here. Lots of lovely barbies, camping in Aldinga and then the Flinders Ranges (where we also did 4 wheel driving) – never camped in the UK. Took up body boarding, got a dog (she’s going too – not sure how happy she’ll be about snow! She’s only got little legs). Had trips to Sydney and Melbourne. Seen whales, cuddled koalas, had our own koalas in our garden, watched the amazing bird life in our garden. We’ve had the best social life we’ve had since having kids.

I’ll miss friends firstly, the beach, the birds, the views as I drive ‘down the hill’ the eucalyptus smells and just the whole community here in the Hills. I have just loved it and this is why I don’t like it when posters are very negative about the place. I understand that this is their experience but I always want to let potential migrants know that the move can be amazing. I’m not saying we’ve had no problems along the way, we have, but nothing that couldn’t have happened anywhere. The only thing I will concede to the negative lot is that Adelaide may not be the place to be for a great career path, depending on your area of work.

On the plus side is that there are whole new adventures ahead of us and the States are nearer to the UK so it will be cheaper to visit (too much snow though). The UK is definitely off the radar for us (at the moment, never say never) but I do hope to come back to Oz eventually (visas allowing).

I will, of course, not be able to resist still checking in on here though I guess that will fade after a while if we settle there as much as we have here.

So it's bye for now guys and I wish you all well on your journeys.
Hi,

Congrats!How your are managing this move.Are you trying to selling your car, packup everything and moving permenantly?This is the challenging part coz once you are settled either you have to throw away som stuff.....garage sale sometime works well but no everytime.

Thanks,

Last edited by smurtaza; Jul 6th 2008 at 7:03 am.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! I have only just seen this. Good luck to you all on your next journey.

I know we didn't meet many times, but I will miss you!