Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - three days in...

Brisbane - three days in...

Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default Re: Brisbane - three days in...

Originally Posted by cascrew
Where about in Leeds and where abouts in Queensland, we're not far from you

NEXT INSTALL PLEASE WE CAN'T WAIT
Hi,

Rothwell - as for qld - probably south brisbane/gold coast hinterland. We've got friends in Ashmore but we can't afford to live there. Mitchell will probably end up (fingers crossed) working southside brisbane so realistically anywhere he can commute to really.

How about you?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:49 pm
Where's my visa?

cascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sheli0508
Hi,

Rothwell - as for qld - probably south brisbane/gold coast hinterland. We've got friends in Ashmore but we can't afford to live there. Mitchell will probably end up (fingers crossed) working southside brisbane so realistically anywhere he can commute to really.

How about you?
castleford, hopefully somewhere near Bayside area verrrrrry soon. You going to the meet up tomorrow
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Ruthie Roo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Brisbane - three days in...

Originally Posted by B1ondi3
we are looking into moving to OZ but have no idea where. My hubby works in a Oil Refinery so we need to live within a 40min drive of any oil refinery out there. We know of one in Kwinana, Perth but again know nothing of the area. We also have a young family ranging from 13wks-9 years so schools are really important too. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks
Natasha
Hi Natasha,

Have seen BP refinery in Brisbane, I have have friends who work in Karratha out from Perth (also BP) - maybe a place to start.

Ruth
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding shippers Kangaray, My stuff was also reported to have arrived on the 4th Jan. Shipped with White andCo and currently being dealt with by international shipping movements in kingston.

Just watch the bastards don't try and charge you a custome fee of $160, they tried it with me but that was included in my quote in the UK.

I still haven't got my stuff either.

Jazzys
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

KangaRay is an unknown quantity at this point

We're currently trying to sort out all the documentation that White and Co should have passed on. We'll watch out for the $160 fee - thanks.

on the plus - cars are definately cheaper over here! Wanted a cheap runaround and found a brand new Ford Fiesta 1.6 5 door in silver for 6k (UK Pounds). Ok it's a Ford but with a 3 year Ford Warrenty it seems pretty good to me.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

trace141 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

We arrived in Brisbane on 4th Jan and loving it so far, managed to get a rental with a pool, bought a second hand car and started work at the Mater hospital, all good so far, kids start school tues, even managed to add a labrador to the family, still trying to make friends.. which seems to be the hardest part..

Tracey
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

monet has a spectacular aura aboutmonet has a spectacular aura aboutmonet has a spectacular aura about

We will be arriving there next Tuesday! The advice on this thread is great!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Gayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really nice

Hi, just give it time and you will be ok. It is hard at first as you are so new to the place, but being open minded helps. I have been here 17 years now and have no regrets. Brisbane is a great place.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

KangaRay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KangaRay
Brisbane – finally arrived! Oh my god there’s so much to do! What first?

We flew with Eva Airlines, from Heathrow, with a quick stop off in Bangkok and Taipei. Fair dues, they were pretty good. No one was more surprised than me when our 4 suitcases appeared first on the luggage carousel at Brisbane and all together! The only issue we had with Eva was that they only allow 20kg each, which was hard. They’re pretty strict so I’m glad we weighed everything before we left. They were asking for £39 per kilo over – no way was I getting spun for that!

It was emotional leaving the family as expected, but it’s one of the steps you have to go through.

Have just installed Skype on my brother in laws PC and have linked in with my family already. I told them that we went to South Bank yesterday. The kids had a swim with a free open air movie in the background on a massive cinema size screen. It was really well organised, combined with the great weather there were lots of happy people.

The sound quality on Skype is excellent by the way. Picture depends on quality of web cam though, but remember it’s free. I can definitely recommend it.

It feels strange that we’re currently homeless, carless and jobless. Am staying with brother in law at the moment but there is so much to do. House, bank, credit cards, cars, mobile phones, kids schooling, tax codes, child benefit, buy beds, TV, etc etc…..

Rented a car from Avis yesterday using one of those cashback websites everyone is talking about. Got $50 back off so am renting a 4 litre Holden for peanuts. I think it’s fair to say the big engines are quite popular over here.

Used White and Co to transport most of our smaller things as we sold the larger items on ebay throughout last year. We did pretty well (there is something for everyone on ebay that’s for sure) Did not want to take the larger items with us as they were pretty old and once we realised the cost of a full container we decided to buy new when we arrived. Booked a date for pick up with White and Co, filled in all the forms and booked a days holiday from work. Called them the day before to make sure they were coming and low and behold, they had no record of us. At that point I was worried that things would not go smoothly. We rearranged a new date and when the removal men arrived they were quite abrupt and proceeded to promptly drop a couple of the boxes very clearly marked fragile. We complained to the office but were advised they were just having an off day. Anyway we waved goodbye to our things in the hope they would turn up in the condition we packed them. Well, apparently they arrived here on the 4th of Jan. No phone call, email or delivery. Watch this space!

We’re really excited and looking forward to the future. We are under no illusions though that the first couple of years will be pretty tough. I will try and make sure the kids are happy as that takes some of the pressure off the parents. Happy kids + happy parents = less stress for all.

Will post an add on the meet ups – it would be great to meet up with some other ex-pat families in and around Brisbane.

Kangaray
Our stuff has not cleared customs yet….a real pain but hopefully any time now.

However, we have found a 3 bed semi ‘townhouses’ on a managed estate with a good community pool and gym. The houses are soooo close together but they are brand new and it’s only 15 mins drive from the boys new school so it’s pretty convenient. We’re paying $300 a week which seems very reasonable to me.

In the meantime we just need to chose a decent builder. We were going to go with Plantation but there build time is 18 months now so we’re thinking of going with mccarthy homes now which they say is only 6 months.

We have our driving licences now too. The transfer to a QLD licence was very efficient.

I handed the V6 Commodore back to Avis with a sad face, and then went and bought something nice and cheap. Got a brand new 5 door Fiesta with a 6 year warranty on for £6k which is great as a run around car. Yes I know it’s a fiesta but when the speed limit is 40 kph (24 mph) on small roads and 100 kph (60 mph) its seems pointless having a big car at the moment.

Managed to catch our first huntsman spider last night! Wow are they fast!! It was across the floor in seconds. It came from under the sofa. Once I had got off the kitchen sink (I needed to assess the situation I tried to catch him in a small tub but it was not big enough so I ended up using the boy’s lunchbox. It instinctively went into a defence mode going back on its hind legs. Got him out safely though as they do a lot of good outside. Am off out to buy a decent spider catcher tomorrow!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Gayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really nice

Originally Posted by trace141
Hi,

We arrived in Brisbane on 4th Jan and loving it so far, managed to get a rental with a pool, bought a second hand car and started work at the Mater hospital, all good so far, kids start school tues, even managed to add a labrador to the family, still trying to make friends.. which seems to be the hardest part..

Tracey
Hi, I work at Mater too, day oncology so give me a call and we can meet for coffee?( Been in OZ 17 yrs, 2 of them in Brisbane, so can answer questions for you)
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:35 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gayle Powell
Hi, I work at Mater too, day oncology so give me a call and we can meet for coffee?( Been in OZ 17 yrs, 2 of them in Brisbane, so can answer questions for you)

You guys work in the private or public sector of Mater ?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

trace141 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I work in the public...ED dept...not to busy

Tracey
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

I'm at Mater public,you?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

lainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brisben
You guys work in the private or public sector of Mater ?
Hi Brisben
Sorry to butt in the conversations ! I saw you was from Wynnum. We are hoping to move there (subject to visas) We have friends in Manly. They are loving it. My partner would like NSW but I liked Qld better. We looked at Wynnum on the web and as its near a coast line so my partner is happy. We have a 15yr old son, I have checked out the schools web sites
Whats your outlook on Wynnum if you dont mind.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:08 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lainey70
Hi Brisben
Sorry to butt in the conversations ! I saw you was from Wynnum. We are hoping to move there (subject to visas) We have friends in Manly. They are loving it. My partner would like NSW but I liked Qld better. We looked at Wynnum on the web and as its near a coast line so my partner is happy. We have a 15yr old son, I have checked out the schools web sites
Whats your outlook on Wynnum if you dont mind.
OK for me I love it truly, It is fantastic, Manly is very very nice too, but very expesnive, I suggested you need around 200,000 gbp to buy a property in Manly, Wynnum cheaper ! Lota even cheaper, but all bayside suburbs. Close enough to everything you need etc. I love the place and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. To find out more check out

ourbrisbane.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.