Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Blooms in Oz Tricia's Diary

Blooms in Oz Tricia's Diary

Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold
Default Blooms in Oz Tricia's Diary

Tricia’s Aussie Diary

Well the first week in oz …been a week of mixed emotions from feeling so excited about being here to feeling so out of place. Especially when you are out and ask for 2 and a half pints and get 2 half pints “ no” said my husband “I want 2 pints and a half a pint” . He was given a scathing look and told then you should ask for it correctly. Well that’s what I would say in England. She replied “your not in England now, ask for 2 pints and a Midi“. Ok lesson one. Lesson 2 going into what we thought was a bank and asking if we could change some money ..it was called Medibank! oh dear, but the lady was very nice and gave us lots of info on health care before we left!!

We got lost going to the Uni with Daniel when we eventually found the way we were so far from the car that I could not walk back. So John said wait there and we will go back to the car and come and get you. One hour later ( I was beginning to think maybe I had been abandoned!) they returned. Guess what yep they couldn’t remember where the car was.

The weather had been quite mild sunny and about 19-21 degrees. But today it quite cold blowing a gale and poring down with rain. Still it is winter.
On the way to Rockingham for our weeks break We stopped at John and Christines, some of kerry (my sister in law) family and they made us feel really welcome. And the next day john Kerry’s brother came round and took us all to the pictures as the weather was pretty bad to be doing much else.

The house we are staying in is really nice and comfortable and the owner had thought of pretty much everything, although Rockingham in winter was perhaps not he best choice as nothing seems to be open. Lots of summer type attractions though.

The house has an amazing spa bath which when you use it properly is very nice. ie don’t turn on the water jets before its full up.
They just shot out straight into johns face. He was coughing and spluttering “turn it off turn it off” but you know me I couldn’t for laughing!

The rest of the week passed by quite uneventful lots of nice walks and relaxation.

We returned to my brothers and started to get into some kind of normality. Got our taxfile, medicare ect sorted.
Then went house hunting.
Looked at a lot of houses some new some old I was being very picky as in the UK I opted for a house that I wasn’t
really happy with ( right price) and never really even after 12 years felt happy and settled there. So I was determined not to do the same thing again.
We eventually found the home of my dreams it was a new build in Banksia Grove, which is North Perth nearest town is Joondalup.
Going through the home buying process is quite straight forward over here but be certain it’s the house you want as once you agree a price and sign on the dotted line there is no going back, without huge penalties.
We theh found the nearest schools and went to see about getting April enrolled. One state school and one private. My daughter really liked the state school but wasn’t so keen on the private one. However they had no vacancies till the next term (Feb08) so the plan was start at the state school and then change in February. But she has settled into this school so well has made loads of friends that I am not sure whether transferring her now would be the right thing to do. Her education doesn’t seem to be suffering I will be interested when the exam results get published though to see how this school compared to the private one has done.

My family that we were staying with went on holiday for 3 weeks and we all breathed a sigh of relief when they left, that may sound unkind as they have been good enough to let us stay with them rather than renting. But its not something I would recommend ( especially with a sister inlaw like mine!) she always made it clear that this was her house and she made the rules refusing to let my kids do things that I would think ok ie watch telly when they want not just when I say so!!
Her doorbell rang and my son was near the door so he went to answer it and she screamed at him “this is my house I open the doors here.”
We had to bite our tongues, especially me, and until they went I didn’t realise what a strain it had put me under.
Things didn’t get better for me with everyone going out all day I was left alone (here comes the whinging pom bit) started to miss the Uk big time I was so miserable and it was affecting everyone else around me. I missed the shops the food my friends in fact you name it I missed it and hated everything Australian.
Then I got my dog back from quarantine and that cheered me up for about a day anyway!
Because all I could think about then was how stressful it was going to be for him having to go through this all again when we went back.
I spent most of my days just wandering around getting lost and all night emailing everyone I could in the UK then going to bed and crying.
Anyway enough of the moany bit, I didn’t get any better but the days went on and soon we had our own home and were able to move out of my brothers.
Everyone was happier even the dog as he was made to stay outside all day long even in the rain because she didn’t want him near her furniture but her bloody cat was allowed on it!

2 and a half months on we are settled in, still have 2 rooms with no furniture in but that will come in time.
I have a job and I am due to start it in 17th September so thats when I will start looking to buy some things.

I don’t get those awful homesickness pangs anymore but I still miss everything about the uk, and I am also loving Australia so hopefully as time goes on I will learn to adapt more and more.

Well its September now…surely all this nice weather that I have been promised will come soon even though I am English I really am fed up with the rain the Aussies are all really happy that we have had so much I just cant be happy about it yet I keep getting told that soon I will be praying for it, I can’t imagine it somehow, but watch this space…………………
Still we had the air con put in and went for the reverse cycle I have only used the heating side of it so far, glad we got it though, you only need it on for about an hour each night just to take the chill away and then its all nice and cosy.

WORK!!

I have started work just outside Perth (west Perth) and I travel in by bus and train I am impressed with the public transport clean and efficient and so far all been on time.
As for the job …not so impressed with that, they seem to think I am from a different planet not just the other side of this one and keep explaining things in a monotone voice in very simple English (ha) terms that they think I will understand. (driving me mad!!)
DROVE ME MAD I explained that I may be new in this company however I have been doing this type of work for the last 7 years and I may look stupid to them however I am not. By all means tell me what I need to know and if I make a mistake let me know that as well I am not adverse to constructive criticism.
Was very quite for a day or two in the office and then things settled down a bit I am getting on with it now and I think they have realized I am not a walk over……………Still looking around though can’t see me lasting I can get the same money nearer home rather than have an hours travelling each way…………..

October………..Can’t believe I have only been here 4 months it seems like a lifetime ago that I got on that plane.

The weather has finally started to warm up and we have had some days in the mid 20’s which have been nice The swimming pool has been ordered just waiting for planning permission (can’t wait) also the Patio has been ordered (that’s the sheltered area outside a pergola to you and me) just waiting for planning permission. Yes you have to have planning permission. Why?? and you have to get agreement from next door even though the frame work is not attached to there property or can be seen from there property.. you even have to get planning permission if you want to put a shed in the garden ..how crazy is that? Still it keeps some government worker in a job I suppose. The next thing will be “you have to get planning permission to get planning permission!”

My mum is still in hospital its been 4 weeks now but they are going to see if she can come home this week, that will be good as she is looking really bad a the moment and maybe just getting her out of there for a while will put some colour back in her face.
My brother has been about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, he has managed to visit her 3 times in 4 weeks and is umming and arring about coming over to my house next Saturday if she is home, cos we want to go out and I don’t want mum left on her own for to long.
However said “you can choose your friends but not your family” really did hit the nail on the head with that one. I have had little or no support when I needed it from them over the last few weeks and I know I would have got that from my friends.

November coming soon………………
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Blooms in Oz Tricia's Diary

Having your own house will make all the difference, especially for your poor dog

Good luck
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JOHN G BLOOM
Tricia’s Aussie Diary

My mum is still in hospital its been 4 weeks now but they are going to see if she can come home this week, that will be good as she is looking really bad a the moment and maybe just getting her out of there for a while will put some colour back in her face.
My brother has been about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, he has managed to visit her 3 times in 4 weeks and is umming and arring about coming over to my house next Saturday if she is home, cos we want to go out and I don’t want mum left on her own for to long.
However said “you can choose your friends but not your family” really did hit the nail on the head with that one. I have had little or no support when I needed it from them over the last few weeks and I know I would have got that from my friends.

November coming soon………………
Good post,shame family always lets you down. Pleases you are settleing in to Ozzy life slowly but shorely
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

justcantwait will become famous soon enoughjustcantwait will become famous soon enough

hello tricia
cant believe its been four months,it seems to have flown by and guess what i'm still in the uk lol.glad things are getting better,true what they say about family!!!.Dont know if you remember sue from the essex meets, i have heard she is in perth and bought a house in butler thats not to far from you is it?have heard she isn't settling in well.good to hear from you

anne marie & tony xx
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all

Hi

I enjoyed reading that The first part had me chuckling away, then I read the rest............your sister in law sounds like a nightmare!!

Hope you settle in properly, and that your Mum is okay.

I'll look forward to Novembers installment.

x
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:03 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[ ………[/QUOTE]

Hey, you have had it really tough...a sharp reminder of the realities of migrating to Australia.

Hang in there, can't wait for the next instalment.

Mindless bureaucracy isn't it down under

Hmmmm

Best o luck...

Dave
Oldham
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:24 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Great post shite sis in law,oh well chin up and hope all is fine from now on.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Great post shite sis in law,oh well chin up and hope all is fine from now on.
thanks for the honest post at least you have your mum with you there, all the best for the future and I hope you find a job that you feel happy with. Sister in law sound evil! at least you dont have to live with her now. Did you take much with you?we move to cairns in jan and I cant decide what to leave and what to take? cheers Trudi
Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Blooms in Oz Tricia's Diary

Originally Posted by JOHN G BLOOM
The house has an amazing spa bath which when you use it properly is very nice. ie don’t turn on the water jets before its full up.
They just shot out straight into johns face. He was coughing and spluttering “turn it off turn it off” but you know me I couldn’t for laughing!
This bit of your update is so funny that I squirted white wine down my nose.

Buzzy
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold

I have posted Pt2 November if you wish to read it

Tricia
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

what a great honest post, we arrived at the end of october and i can assosiate with some of yur feelings, we are renting at the mo not far from you in currambine, but we are going to a home open today in banksia grove to buy.
i read your other update to and christmas here i felt was good too, different but good, i missed family and friends but not a homesickness feeling.
i was going to say your lucky to have family here but may be not.

good luck with the rest of your new life

sam. x
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Hi

I have now posted part 3 if anyone would like to read it.

Tricia
Old Jul 1st 2009, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

I have now posted Part 4 if anyone would like to read it

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617718