Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

In the blink of an eye and it's...

In the blink of an eye and it's...

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default In the blink of an eye and it's...

18 months since we arrived in Perth.

Back story:
Hubby originally from Ireland but lived in Canada for about 20 yrs, his better half (*hello, that's me*) is Canadian. Two young kids. Applied for PR 175 and got it. Chose Perth because one of his sisters has lived here for 15 years. Did two reccies (one for hubby alone and one validation trip for the family). Hubby is a HV industrial electrician and received a job offer with contract in place before we left Canada. I'm currently at home with the youngest but will be returning to work (consulting) once he's in Kindy next year.

Sold the house (multiple offers, got $11K over asking), sold the cars, and I went through the fun task of divesting said house of 11 years worth of clutter and non-essentials (ha, the local charity shops made out like bandits with the stuff we didn't flog on kijiji) as we decided not to ship furnishings, just boxes (shipping from Canada is astoundingly expensive). We booked one way flights before we'd even sold the house (how's that for faith in the process?).

The last month before we left was a blur of last minute packing (dropping "just two more boxes" off at the mover's and packing 9 suitcases for the plane), missed appointments and dinners (everyone waits until the last week and then they all try to take you out for coffee and dinner the same day). Time seems to unravel at the end...a million small things didn't get done, but we said "bye for now" to family and friends and hopped on the plane.

Perth:
The first few weeks were the reverse of what we'd just been through...we had been running around like mad back in Canada cancelling accounts and services, tying up loose ends...now in Perth we were establishing new lives. I found the process a lot more frustrating and at times overly bureaucratic than back in Canada, but then a lot of that could be just the jet lag coloring perceptions.

Hubby's work was kind enough to give him a company vehicle and mobile in the early days of our arrival but then told him to take a couple of weeks to get settled. So, a lot of that time was spent shopping (car, furniture) and settling in...

We rented a house SOR and enrolled our oldest in the local PS. I joined two neighborhood playgroups just to get out of the house and let our little guy burn off some energy. The usual stuff followed...swimming lessons, playdates, community activities.

Slowly we began to feel more settled...the first six months were the toughest. But we made friends--good friends. Over time, relatives stopped crying "come home!" over the phone. We started to appreciate the small things that we like here and quit comparing everything to Canada.

We found our groove.

And now...

Things are still good. We're moving into our new house shortly. We built in an area we really like and it'll be nice to have our own place...to be able to paint the walls whatever color we want and actually hang up a picture or two.

Our oldest has been in her new school since Feb. 1st and has settled in nicely and loves it.

Hubby has been working like mad...there seems to be a lot of work in his sector, so we'll take the extra while it's there.

Three of us did take a trip back to Canada (ill health in a family member--one of the phone calls you never want to get). We spent five weeks there, ate Timbits and Swiss Chalet like no tomorrow, visited all our old haunts, spent every moment possible with family and friends, but still, at the end of it all, it was a relief to get back on the plane. I thought that returning so soon after we had emigrated would just make me want to move back in an instant. Actually, it made me realize that I wasn't missing anything there, that the place didn't have the same degree of emotional attachment for me, and that "home" was elsewhere.

Perth feels more like home now than ever. It just does and I don't think there's a particular moment when the fireworks go off, more of a gradual realization that at this point in your life, you feel at home where you are. I thought about this the other day...that if someone came up to me and offered to pay me to move back to my old city in Canada and I wouldn't have to lift a finger, I still wouldn't do it. I'm content where I am...and I know I was the last one of the family to feel so. Hubby has loved it from day one and the kids have been thriving here.

I don't know how long we'll be here...if we're here for 5 years or 10 years, or whatever, but for now, it suits us fine.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In the blink of an eye and it's...

Congrats.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats it goes so quick
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:46 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic post. Congratulations. Could murder a sour cream glaze donut right now I must say along with a nice Iced Cappuccino.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Fantastic post. Congratulations. Could murder a sour cream glaze donut right now I must say along with a nice Iced Cappuccino.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 5:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Are you pregnant or have serious issues? You were talking about murdering an Indian last night but having been in Immi recently, I can fully understand that one.

I'm going to have to delete that at some point.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Are you pregnant or have serious issues? You were talking about murdering an Indian last night but having been in Immi recently, I can fully understand that one.

Ah but those sour cream glazes are in a category all their own...yum...
Old Mar 4th 2011, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

Nah, they never wander out of immi...

Great post Japonica! Happy 18 months anniversary!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great post
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:33 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Great to hear you've done well in Oz.

Whenever we visited Canada we always hit as many of our favourite restaurants as possible as our favourite meals were what we missed the most.

I remember getting off the plane in Calgary once and we stopped at the Tim Horton's for some snacks. I was shocked at how much we got for $10, it was so cheap! I think we got like 3 drinks and a few muffins and donuts. Anyway, I'll always remember that as in Australia you'd be nearing $10 just to get one coffee and a muffin.

Anyhow... it was nice to see your update as I always wonder how the other Canucks on here are doing.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by comet555
Great to hear you've done well in Oz.

Whenever we visited Canada we always hit as many of our favourite restaurants as possible as our favourite meals were what we missed the most.

I remember getting off the plane in Calgary once and we stopped at the Tim Horton's for some snacks. I was shocked at how much we got for $10, it was so cheap! I think we got like 3 drinks and a few muffins and donuts. Anyway, I'll always remember that as in Australia you'd be nearing $10 just to get one coffee and a muffin.

Anyhow... it was nice to see your update as I always wonder how the other Canucks on here are doing.
Yeah, the prices are like reverse sticker shock...I think that's why I gained 10 lbs when we were there for 5 weeks...lots of "Wow, I forgot how cheap food is...quick someone order a Boston Royal from BP, grab a couple of Swiss Chalet festive specials, and let's do a Timmies run 4x a day."

I remember when we got to the Tim's in the Vancouver airport...I got the kids Timbits, milks, a coffee and sandwich for myself and I pulled out $20 expecting not to get any change back (which is what happens here in Perth when I take them out for treats--good ol' Muffin Break and their "deal": a coffee and a muffin for $7)...anyway, I got about $10 back in change from the Tim's...

When I tell rellies back in Canada that a sandwich and coffee is about $10 they give me looks of pity...

We're moving into our new house next week...so all is good (or will be once the packing, moving, and unpacking is sorted). Just talked to my mother, who lives in Alberta, on Skype. It's -26C and the front yard is so deep in snow that they can't see the road...so despite the unthinkable costs of coffee and sandwiches, we're staying here for a while...

Last edited by Japonica; Mar 12th 2011 at 1:55 am.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:04 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm glad I'm not the only one who went nuts on food then!

I'm by Ottawa now and I think it was about 7 degrees today and after the mild temperatures the past week our driveway and half our yard has totally melted. So spring is almost here (thank god!).
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Shut up you two! You're making me homesick for Swiss Chalet and Horton's toasted seseme bagels with onion cream cheese.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Shut up you two! You're making me homesick for Swiss Chalet and Horton's toasted seseme bagels with onion cream cheese.
Swiss Chalet is in my top five of things I miss. Red Rooster is not even remotely close...RR gravy is like wallpaper paste...

And BP's pizzas too...they've started offering multigrain crusts now and they are so tasty...there's been more than a few times when we're doing our once a week pizza run to Eagle Boys and I'm muttering, "Someone should open a BP here...it would make a fortune..."

There's a Tony Roma's in Perth, so I don't see why some entrepreneur wouldn't want to take it on... Oh well, wishful thinking...
Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to whoever submitted our update to the front page. That was kinda cool to see when I logged on...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.