Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Life is still going on for us in Darwin, the place is at times very endearing like a comfy slipper and at other times a pain in the bum.
On the whole we are still enjoying Darwin , last Sunday we had our first proper barbie with our freinds invited (or guinea pigs lol). WE had a great day , they have been here just over a year and we all came to the same conclusion we like living here but cant see it being forever. The 3 reasons for this is how expensive it is to live here and how hot it gets. Im happy with the shopping here apart from lack of dairy free stuff i can for me son . The 3 rd reason is something that does concern me is te education standards here.
My 10 year old is in a 3,4,5 and he is way ahead of his class to the point where he is helping the teacher by explaining to the other kids how to do the work. They are currently learning the 3X tables something my 8 year old knows by heart, but he isnt doing them yet. My 8 year old is in a 2,3 year group and again is not being challenged educationaly.
For those people who plan to live in Darwin forever then the education standards dont matter. However as my OH moves around the boys will be having to keep ahead of the NT kids just to be able to cope when we move to another state.
This has been one of my main concerns the education. Unfortunatley we cant afford private education with only one wage coming in and from what i hear the education standards even in the private sector are the lowest in oz. I know that the fact that many aboriginals are included in the education numbers could give a false low compared to other states, but even so im concerened.
This morning we got a taste of what lies ahead us in the 'proper wet season' we got woken up at 6am by the loudest rattle of thunder i had ever heard followed by lightening. Poor benji was so scared he jumped on our bed and tried to hide under our covers poor dog. WE have had some meaty rain showers today and the kids got caught out in it while playing at the park. A quick towel dry later and with th rain stopped it was back out to play in the street with local kids playing cricket.
I had 2 interviews in one day last week and ive got a few more organisations interested in my skills, so hopefully it wont be long till im working.
Then the next problem will have to be addressed, who do i get to look after the boys in the summer hols after my OH goes back to work and im working . Ive already discussed after school care at the 2 younger boys school term time an the eldest is old enough to be at home for an hour or 2 . However i would not be happy for my 12 year old to be home alone the whole day. So im already looking for solutions prior to getting a job.
Tommorow we are off to the northern territories wild life park since we have an annual membership, so wont cost us anything . WE hope to see the parts of the park we missed last time.

Im currently compiling a list of usefull websites for those moving to Darwin, as im having trouble copying and pasting the addresses, im doing it all by hand in my note book, which i will then scan and attach to this thread for others to benefit from.
Im not sure how much longer we will live in Darwin as we are actively looking for my OH's employer to transfer him to some where else a little cooler. Mainly cos my Oh is struggling so much with the climate. He collapsed at work last week from heat exhaustion after doing a 10 k march. It has taken him a good few days to recover. So for health reasons its best we move on. However we do like the lay out of the city, how freindly it is and lots of its other attributes.
WEll im off to enjoy the rest of my evening
Mandy
Old Oct 17th 2010, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Life is still going on for us in Darwin, the place is at times very endearing like a comfy slipper and at other times a pain in the bum.
On the whole we are still enjoying Darwin , last Sunday we had our first proper barbie with our freinds invited (or guinea pigs lol). WE had a great day , they have been here just over a year and we all came to the same conclusion we like living here but cant see it being forever. The 3 reasons for this is how expensive it is to live here and how hot it gets. Im happy with the shopping here apart from lack of dairy free stuff i can for me son . The 3 rd reason is something that does concern me is te education standards here.
My 10 year old is in a 3,4,5 and he is way ahead of his class to the point where he is helping the teacher by explaining to the other kids how to do the work. They are currently learning the 3X tables something my 8 year old knows by heart, but he isnt doing them yet. My 8 year old is in a 2,3 year group and again is not being challenged educationaly.
For those people who plan to live in Darwin forever then the education standards dont matter. However as my OH moves around the boys will be having to keep ahead of the NT kids just to be able to cope when we move to another state.
This has been one of my main concerns the education. Unfortunatley we cant afford private education with only one wage coming in and from what i hear the education standards even in the private sector are the lowest in oz. I know that the fact that many aboriginals are included in the education numbers could give a false low compared to other states, but even so im concerened.
This morning we got a taste of what lies ahead us in the 'proper wet season' we got woken up at 6am by the loudest rattle of thunder i had ever heard followed by lightening. Poor benji was so scared he jumped on our bed and tried to hide under our covers poor dog. WE have had some meaty rain showers today and the kids got caught out in it while playing at the park. A quick towel dry later and with th rain stopped it was back out to play in the street with local kids playing cricket.
I had 2 interviews in one day last week and ive got a few more organisations interested in my skills, so hopefully it wont be long till im working.
Then the next problem will have to be addressed, who do i get to look after the boys in the summer hols after my OH goes back to work and im working . Ive already discussed after school care at the 2 younger boys school term time an the eldest is old enough to be at home for an hour or 2 . However i would not be happy for my 12 year old to be home alone the whole day. So im already looking for solutions prior to getting a job.
Tommorow we are off to the northern territories wild life park since we have an annual membership, so wont cost us anything . WE hope to see the parts of the park we missed last time.

Im currently compiling a list of usefull websites for those moving to Darwin, as im having trouble copying and pasting the addresses, im doing it all by hand in my note book, which i will then scan and attach to this thread for others to benefit from.
Im not sure how much longer we will live in Darwin as we are actively looking for my OH's employer to transfer him to some where else a little cooler. Mainly cos my Oh is struggling so much with the climate. He collapsed at work last week from heat exhaustion after doing a 10 k march. It has taken him a good few days to recover. So for health reasons its best we move on. However we do like the lay out of the city, how freindly it is and lots of its other attributes.
WEll im off to enjoy the rest of my evening
Mandy

Education depends on what state you move to, it could be just as easy there, I know in QLD we have always been shocked at how easy it all is, others have said similar about WA etc

There are 8 or 9 different systems in OZ and within in them depending on what age your kids are - more variants as the systems have changed over the years, eg my 13 year old will finish year 12 in qld at 16, if he started now it would be 18.

If we moved to say VIctoria they would have to go back a year, same with NSW ( I think ) its so confusing.

We have also found what they learn same grade, but different teacher, totally depends on how much the teacher fancies covering in primary we found no set standard, and as the kids went through each grade, one could cover 50 pages of the math book another one 140 pages.

Our local paper did a story on internatiional students and most of them commented school in OZ ( grade 12!! ) was like a holiday.

By the time the youngest hit high school we were so sick of it all, we went IB, lots of exams etc to get in, but he got a 10 ranking on every naplan test so he got in easily despite hideous competition. He starts 10 IB prep next year but is in advanced academic right now so they do work a year or so ahead, but its still not that hard he got A+ on this report card in math and science, I know they are his thing but hes not exactly one to do hours of homework, 10 mins is a big night

Anyway its worth asking if there is an advanced/extension level class if they are finding the work so easy.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:54 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

There is an Australia wide curriculum coming into play relatively soon, that way, all states will be doing the same thing, at the same time, unlike what is currently happening, or at least that's the intention! lol
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:17 am
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
There is an Australia wide curriculum coming into play relatively soon, that way, all states will be doing the same thing, at the same time, unlike what is currently happening, or at least that's the intention! lol
Thanks goodness for that! Not good for those of us with kids who move about every couple of years!
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday was a fantastic day for me, i had a lovley coffee in town with some one from BE who had flown up to Darwin with her daughter, husband and school for a state competion. Followed by being head hunted for a job
It was so nice to get out of the house and chat with her and her husband while their daughter was busy on a school activity. Its strange how ive chatted with this lady or years on BE and lately facebook and now years later i get to meet her for the first time. I got on great with her with no awkwardness.
And we now have a bus link to town and yesterday was my first time of using public transport here. It was very smooth this means im no longer stuck in the house when i have no car and also opens up the possibility of doing voluntary if i cant get a job.
On the job front when i got back in from town, i had an email fom a charity organisation who were keen to meet me to discuss me working for them. They had seen my Cv and were impressed. So ive got an interview on Tuesday at the centre where i will be shown around so fingers crossed i manage to walk out with a job.
Must admit i was starting to feel a bit sorry for myself, with too much time on my hands and no one to chat with during the day.
Now im feeling back to my more normal cheerful self and ive got a good feeling that things are going to start to look up for us. The OH is still struggling with the heat but having lost a little weight over the past week he is feeling a bit more comfortable. He still wants to move but he may have to wait till he gets to next June when he has been here a year. If i do get this job as its with a big organisation there is a good chance i could transfer to another area with them.
Im just chilling at home today with the boys while my OH is at a card game with his mates.
Mandy
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am feeling that contact falling away too and I only have one sister in the whole wide world. But she has not been very communicative recently. Perhaps she thinks I have not been though, it is certainly possible that I have been too wrapped up in everything else that has been going on to pay enough attention to what is going on back hom. I will make more of an effort I think and see if that does the trick. Don't know what you can do if somebody just doesn't answer though
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:07 am
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of

Great thread, really enjoyed reading your updates .. almost feel like I know you after reading it! Thanks for the updates.

Have found the same with family not staying in contact, but friends being great. Even now that I've been back home for a few months, family "forget" that I'm back, so I don't see them or hear from them (unless I pay for them to meet up ) But friends have been great, and I'll miss them when I return to Oz. But I'm looking forward to catching up with my Oz friends

Good luck with the interview, and keep up the good work the posts
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are almost at the 5 month point now and a lot has happened just recently. Thank you to every one for the kind comments about my updates. Im just the type of person who tells life as it is at the time im feeling it. Some of my views have changed since arriving in Darwin others have remained the same. So heres another little up date
Ive had loads of interviews , some companies were great at getting back to me and others never did.
One of the companies i ws interviwed fo ages ago phoned me up a month after the interview to offer me a job, want the one i was interviewed for as it was full time and i cant do full time. However they had a part time slot come up for a home care/health/case manager co ordinator and immediatly offered me the job. I shall be accepting it on Monday. I wanted the weekend to think about it. As i was also waiting to hear from the homeless center where i was very keen to work. However the manager emailed me to say despite wanting me for the job i was over qualified and has said should a suitable role come up in the future they would get in touch with me. i as disappointed as the homeless centre was buzzing and i loved the atmosphere, but my new job will be a quieter much more relaxing role and will esae me into being a working mum.
Another thing that has affected the kids badly has been the school they are in. The 2 younger ones are very un happy( i did a thread in the barbie about it) .
Any way ive got the applications ready for my kids to go to a private christian college, which not only has got a fantastic reputation but my freind has her kids there and she is always raving about it. So for the first time we are going private to give our boys a better standard of schooling.
Ive been unhappy with primary school the boys are in as they are just not challenging educationally them at all.
The eldest seems happy with his school but has agreed to have a look at the new school before he decides where he wants to go.
On Friday to cheer the boys up we took them to Fannie bay to the cool spot, brill cafe for tea and my god the portions are huge. I had a duck salad in plum sauce the boys hotdogs and my OH a chicken burger , it was delicious but way too much food for us all.
After wards we walked along the shore line and watched the sun set. It gave the boys a new perspective on living in Darwin. The boys know we wont be here forever and will be moving in a few years( if not sooner). However the stuff at school had unsettled them so much they wanted to go back to the UK.
As a family we are seasoned travelers but for them this move has been huge. Im so proud of how they have all tried to settle in and make freinds , its just unfortunate that some of the initial freinds have turned out to be not very nice at the end of the day.
Thankfuly on Friday night when i phoned my mam up for the boys to speak to her they were full of the excitement of having an evening meal and watching the sun set and climbing trees with their dad, rather than the upset of events earlier in the day.
Tommorow is a new start to the week and i hope after ive spoken to the school it will be a more positive week at school for them.
Wll id best get the youngest off to bed now he has finished his hot chocolate and cookies, some traditions will never change for my youngest. It can 30+ but he still has to have hot chocolate and a cookie before bed.
Mandy
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent news about the job ... Think it will work well - as you say, a gentle intro to working in a new place. Perhaps in the future the homeless centre will get back to you and have a more suitable position available. Best of luck with the school situation ... You have a great attitude and deserve to be happy x
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We have reached the 5 months milestone now. Ive been working now for 1 week and i really enjoy it. I started with very little notice. Accepted the job as home and community care co ordinator on Monday morning, got a phone call Monday afternoon asking me to start training 8am the next day. So i rocked up not knowing what to expect and was very much thrown in at th deep end and i loved it. Another lady was starting her training on the same day and we got on great. Im the youngest member of staff and im the only one with young kids and the only one working part time. By Friday i already felt part of the team. WE are moving offices on Tuesday so next week will be a little chaotic, but i will be given my own desk and pc on Wed.
Ive got applications in for the kids to go to the school i mentioned previously so ive got to wait for the interview to be conducted before we find out if the boys have a place.
My OH has bought a second hand car of a work collegue so he can get to work, he was happy enough to give us the car for a small deposit untill we can pay him the rest . This has made life much easier, as he is able to get to work with out relying on lifts so i could have the car for work.
This week has flown over, probably due to me now working and being so busy.
Had a sureal moment today when we went into Dawin city to a tourist shop to buy a whole load of oz tshirts for our nieces and nephews, tea towels for the parents and calenders for our siblings. Seeing the christmas decs out while its so hot just felt rather wiered. It seems strange that christmas is creeping upon us but im not freezing cold while doing the pressie shopping is bizzare. Also im usually a last minute shopper and love getting pressies in mid Dec , so doing it so early also feels strange.
We also now have a babysitter, my close freinds daughter a uni student is happy to look after the boys when ever we need a night out. WE managed to go to the pictures last night for the first time in about 5 years by ourselves.. She has hands on expereince with kids with ADHD as her brother has it , although now a teen himself. So our youngest behaviour does not worry her at all. I personally could have squeezed her to death with gratitude, as this has been the biggest hurdle we had in the UK. If my parents could not look after the kids then we never went out.
With me working life is going to be so much easier for us, as although im only doing 25 hours a week, im on a good pay rate, so my wages are almost the same as my OH. This means as i only do Mon-Fri at the weekends we finaly have money to visit some of the places we have wanted to visit but couldn't due to lack of money.

One thing that did concern me was on the 11th, i was the only person in the office that wore a poppy and observed the silence, im the only British person working there and they were happy enough for me to take my break around 11am, however they continued working.
Im wondering what tommorow being rememberence sunday will be like as im so used to watching the parade and in the past have been part of the parade. So it will be strange not marking the day. My husband and i have lost friends in the Gulf war of 1990 and in conflicts since so for us this week is also a week when we think of our lost freinds and being in Australia has been so different to the UK when it comes the remberenceday and remeberence sunday.
Im off to take the dog out now , i always have to follow him in the dark when he goes in the garden to do his evening water of the plants, as we get cane toads so have to make sure there are none near him on his night visit
Mandy
Old Nov 13th 2010, 12:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know why you were the only one doing the minute silence being as it's an Allied thing, not a British thing and most places do it. They do the 11/11 but not Remembrance Sunday. However obviously ANZAC Day is the biggy here so you'll see more of the commemoration then. Let's face it, those that died don't care when you think of them, just as long as you do and it's probably something you do on a near daily basis.

Good to see that things are falling into place for you guys. It takes time and effort but it generally works in the end.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Six months on and wow it's all seem to be fitting into place now. Ive got a job i love with some great people. Got the boys into the christian college we applied for. The younger two are so happy after meeting the head teacher and visiting the school. The eldest is a work in progress currently he is adament that he is not moving school despite the fact their art department and science wing is really good (his 2fav subjects) He feels that he has only just made freinds and wants to hang on to them. WE have till the 14th of Jan to confirm his place. So im hoping by the time we come back from our hols in Cairns he will have come round.
My OH still has his issues with his work place, but i think they have finally realised he is wasted in his current role.

Last sunday we went to the Darwin christmas by candle lights, certainly was a different expereince.
Yesterday we had the kids at a christmas party and it was my staff christmas do in the evening and last wed i went to the management meal with the area manager and CEO so my social life has improved lol.
Sent the bulk of the stuff to the UK for the families back there. Just got christmas cards to do .
Got my tree up and a few decs (having to replace them is proving very expensive) we alos put a few pictures up on the walls today.
Still finding it hot at times but thank god for aircon.
Off to watch NCIS now with a cuppa and a treat that arrived from the UK.
Merry christmas to you all
Mandy
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:02 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy,

I am pleased to hear you are setting in. Christmas in the heat does seem strange for the first few years!

Beware of the "hump" at about 18 months when people realise that it's permanent and not just an expat posting. It comes before you fully feel at home here, and when things start to change back in the UK.

How is your husband settling in with work? I worked for the same "firm", and still do a bit of part time stuff for them. I guess it feels a bit strange for him at first.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. And "arte et marte" to your husband!

Slappy
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:22 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Six months on and wow it's all seem to be fitting into place now. Ive got a job i love with some great people. Got the boys into the christian college we applied for. The younger two are so happy after meeting the head teacher and visiting the school. The eldest is a work in progress currently he is adament that he is not moving school despite the fact their art department and science wing is really good (his 2fav subjects) He feels that he has only just made freinds and wants to hang on to them. WE have till the 14th of Jan to confirm his place. So im hoping by the time we come back from our hols in Cairns he will have come round.
My OH still has his issues with his work place, but i think they have finally realised he is wasted in his current role.

Last sunday we went to the Darwin christmas by candle lights, certainly was a different expereince.
Yesterday we had the kids at a christmas party and it was my staff christmas do in the evening and last wed i went to the management meal with the area manager and CEO so my social life has improved lol.
Sent the bulk of the stuff to the UK for the families back there. Just got christmas cards to do .
Got my tree up and a few decs (having to replace them is proving very expensive) we alos put a few pictures up on the walls today.
Still finding it hot at times but thank god for aircon.
Off to watch NCIS now with a cuppa and a treat that arrived from the UK.
Merry christmas to you all
Mandy
Did you manage to find childcare for the holidays - I know you were worried about giving up your job if you couldnt find anything?

You have settled so well, I love reading your updates.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Did you manage to find childcare for the holidays - I know you were worried about giving up your job if you couldnt find anything?

You have settled so well, I love reading your updates.
Hi pp, managed to get the kids into the YMCA childcare near to where i work. Although they wernt impressed today with it. Ive worked it so they go into holiday care this week, next week OH is off work for 4 weeks, so they next go back into holiday care for the last 2 weeks of the summer hols.
Will try and sort something better out for Easter as the eldest will be 13 then
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.