Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Old Sep 13th 2013, 1:36 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
I can not believe it but after 3 and a bit years of living in Darwin, we come back from our month long holiday in the UK to the news we can finally move from Darwin to Albury Wodonga. So doing things in style by having a road trip over Christmas . Move out on the 20th of Dec and start the long drive to our new home. Staying at Alice Springs, Coober pedy, Port Augusta, Adelaide, Melbourne and then finally Wodonga. There have been parts of NT that I have enjoyed like last weeks off roading in Kakadu national park. Ive enjoyed my cycling especially since I got my new mountain bike . However now we are heading towards the build up and the wet season I am so glad im finally leaving the weather behind.
Mandy
Good luck with the move and the road trip Mandy
Old Sep 15th 2013, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
I can not believe it but after 3 and a bit years of living in Darwin, we come back from our month long holiday in the UK to the news we can finally move from Darwin to Albury Wodonga. So doing things in style by having a road trip over Christmas . Move out on the 20th of Dec and start the long drive to our new home. Staying at Alice Springs, Coober pedy, Port Augusta, Adelaide, Melbourne and then finally Wodonga. There have been parts of NT that I have enjoyed like last weeks off roading in Kakadu national park. Ive enjoyed my cycling especially since I got my new mountain bike . However now we are heading towards the build up and the wet season I am so glad im finally leaving the weather behind.
Mandy
Woohoo!
Really glad that you have your move sorted out, and what a fabulous way to do it.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Just a little update as the past few months have been crazy with the planning for the move from Darwin to Wodonga. October saw me partake in the great cycle challenge to raise money for kids cancer. I rode virtually every day of October and I cycled nearly 700km towards the end the humidity was starting to build and it became tough to get out on my bike with out suffering from dehydration afterwards. This was even with a 3 litre hydropak. However November has been extremely humid and I developed a virus which finally got the better of me last week and I ended up on a weeks bedrest.
We now have 17 days before we leave Darwin and I can honestly say I cant wait. I will miss the friends ive made while up here but my body just can not cope with the humidity.
I don't regret living here for 3 1/2 years its been a good experience and I will take away a lot of good memories.
My family is all ready for a change my eldest son will remain at his boarding school but will be able to see us more often, middle son is going to be joining the eldest on a very special bursary at the same school as a weekly boarder.
I still have to find a school for my youngest boy with Aspergers and ADHD, this is proving most difficult as when we had a visit in October to see the new area and visit schools. We had been given an approval for the youngest for a school which was recanted 2 weeks ago.
So once again im filling out application forms and keeping my fingers crossed we can sort a school out.
My eldest is home this weekend after finishing his first year (year 10) as a full time boarder. This was the hardest thing as a mam I did but was so worth it to see the results from having such good teachers around him. His previous school which my other 2 have also attended is a good school for Darwin but compared to schools in other states it just doesn't match them for the education.
He went from coasting and not working that hard to becoming an A grade student with an idea of what career he wants as well as making some great friends.
Middle son had taken up dragon boating in Cullen Bay and has recently come back from Indonesia after competing in international competitions with the Arafura Dragons. Thankfully when we move there is a team he can join so he is happy.
All I hope now is a can get another job down in the new place as money wise it will be very tight with 2 boarding fees and only 1 wage .
We are certainly in for a great adventure on our road trip travelling over Christmas arriving in Wodonga on the 2nd January for a new start in a new place. Mandy
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Kojee12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Hi Mandy

I have read your blogs from the start of your adventure. You have had good and bad times and seemingly faced them positively. Or family is duevto move out to Darwin in March, eeek. To say im not a seasoned traveller is the least, however I will make every effort to enjoy the experience, as you and your family have.

Thanks for all the information, and good luck on your new adventure. If there is anything you think may be useful for me and my family to bring over/do etc. please dont hesitate to let me know, i would be grateful. We are thinking about Rosebury primary and middle. After reading their internet pages i gave them an email.

Good luck
Old Dec 7th 2013, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kojee12345
Hi Mandy

I have read your blogs from the start of your adventure. You have had good and bad times and seemingly faced them positively. Or family is duevto move out to Darwin in March, eeek. To say im not a seasoned traveller is the least, however I will make every effort to enjoy the experience, as you and your family have.

Thanks for all the information, and good luck on your new adventure. If there is anything you think may be useful for me and my family to bring over/do etc. please dont hesitate to let me know, i would be grateful. We are thinking about Rosebury primary and middle. After reading their internet pages i gave them an email.

Good luck
Bring what ever you can with you as Darwin is expensive. When you arrive just take it easy and adjust to the humidity and temp. Always have a drink with you as you will dehydrate quickly when you first arrive. Be prepared for everything to be different and then surprised when some things are the same. Good Luck
Mandy
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

pix1303 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
We are potentially moving to Darwin this year and have a very energetic and inquisitive Collie. He is a very important part of our family and we are wondering if there are plenty of places where he can be off-lead, additionally anything you could tell us about vets and other dog related info would be massively appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pix1303
Hi there,
We are potentially moving to Darwin this year and have a very energetic and inquisitive Collie. He is a very important part of our family and we are wondering if there are plenty of places where he can be off-lead, additionally anything you could tell us about vets and other dog related info would be massively appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

There are beaches you can take your dog to. Just watch out for crocs. I used a good vet in Casuarina but there are plenty of vets. Our dog had to have heart worm injections while living in Darwin.
Mandy
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have now been living in Wodonga just over 6 months and I love the area, however the -1 is a bit of a shock to the system in a house with poor insulation and high heating bills. The boys have all settled and hubby is happy. However jobs for me are few and far between so im now looking at living in Melbourne M-F and have a job interview tomorrow for a full time care coordinator job with an aged care/disability company.
Not ideal to find a place I feel I can call home but cant afford to live here on one wage.
Mandy
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered how you were going to handle the cold nights. Plenty of work in your line in Melbourne thats for sure. What part of Melbourne will be the biggest decision. I'd suggest starting off as close to where you work as possible, then figure out where you like afterwards... Reason being there are lots of different lifestyles in Melbourne... From Trees, to beach, to burbs, to inner city.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Still living in Wodonga , still loving the location but not loving the debt we are in with only one wage. Did get some work in Melbourne and I loved the job, found the place too much like a concrete jungle. However it was only for a month and once my living expenses were paid I had very little money to show for the effort. Im still trying to look at all avenues of work. My boys are still enjoying their school and have come on leaps and bounds. My youngest is more settled since starting having OT. The school he is in have really worked hard with him and his special needs.
Im still loving getting out on my mountain bike. Though I am lusting after a rather nice ladies road bike which for now is just a dream.
So life is plodding along but all I need is a job.
Mandy