British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Another anniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/another-anniversary-491692/)

Bix da Boss Nov 5th 2007 12:30 am

Another anniversary

Well all, last week 31st October 2007 we celebrated our third year of being in beautiful sunnyCairns:)

The last three years has had many ups and downs - bit like a rollercoaster ride! The first two years were the worst for us - came over on a 457 temp visa - had to apply for a PR visa once hear - got that in May 2005, relief - cld not sell hse in UK - rented it out for a yr - after many stressful months - sold it end 2006 - came out of renting in OZ for two years and bought our first house in Oct 2006 - that is when we really started to settle and stress levels began to ease. Not having a property in the UK to worry abt was blissful!!

Until we sold our hse in the UK it was hard to 'let go' the ties (family and friends not included) and move forward into our new life. For me, buying our own hse has made all the differnece as did not like renting at all, although it works for some people, not me!! We have always had our own house and thats what we like!!

Everyday working life is generally the same - Bix is lucky to be on a far better wage and has work appreciation which he never did in the UK although with the same company for 30+ yrs!
I have had a couple of part time retail jobs - wld not willingly do that again! For over a year now lucky enough not to have to work unless i want to - that cld change of course but enjoying it - always have, especially since being here - wonder why ??!! Sunny weather by any chance lol!
Our two sons - Mark 21 and Nathan 19 have settled now and both have good full time jobs, and excellent social life when they want it. Neither wanted to come but have gone with the flo and are now adament they will be staying in Australia for the foreseeable future. They are young, they can do what they want.

For us coming from Cornwall, Cairns opened up so much more to our everyday lives. Shopping alone is brilliant - anything and everything you want is here so different for us more choice and big shopping malls, which I love of course he he!!! The scenery is just stunning, so much to see and do, entertainment wise, lots for choice, there is something for everybody, every age if you have the time, money and energy of course!We are happy going to the Esplanade, having a drink and bite to eat and doing some window shopping - there are loads of shops we still haven't seen that are up and down the many streets in Cairns! When we have visitors and are taking them around, it never ceases to amaze us how much more to Cairns there is!!

There are issues that get to you over here like there is in the UK and every other country in the world - that will never change. But that is part of life. Looking thru rose tinted glasses does not work!!

We have made a few really good friends - not easy coming to a new country especially if your kids are not of school age, but we have done it and value their friendship a lot, social get togethers, wine, beer, good food excellent company and much laughter - well you know BIX, no taming a lion, he does the drinking and I do the driving lol!!!

We came with an open mind no great expectations apart from better weather. Once here, just got on with it, went with the flo, kept an open mind, embraced the differences and didn't moan abt them. Australia is not England - wld be no point emigrating if it was!!! An oppurtunity to change certain parts of your life is what you will get, everyday routine is the same, work, kids, school, housework etc. Dont expect it all to fall into place as soon as you land - it can take time - be patient - stay as positive as you can - there is a good life to be had hear so make the most of the chance you have been given:)

Biggest differences for us coming from Cornwall:

Quality of life - excellent
The weather - fantastic most of the year
Income - far better than UK
House - we have far more space and land
Things to see and do - lost for choice
Shopping (of course)! Well, what can I say??;)
Having bites from nasty little insects! Bloody pain but hey something has to be right??!!
Wildlife and birds - fantastic! Especially colours of the birds wow!
Tropical Plants and trees - fantastic - colours and textures - out of this world!
Decent bloody cinemas and lots of em!
Loads of docs and dentists and any other form of medical help to choose from - means a lot.
The Rain Forest - love it!
Have to keep everything in the fridge especially the beer he he he!!!

Cor blimey - i cld go on but wont!!! Think thats enough for you to get the idea eh:D

All in all folks, it was the right move for us and have not regretted it for one single minute, I can say that with my hand on my heart. Still miss family and friends but nothing else. Love it hear and hope we have many more years in tropical north Queensland - paradise on earth:)

Hope you enjoy reading my post - good luck to all of you that want to follow your dream

Take care
Gill:D

Why was it moved??

gedge Nov 5th 2007 4:52 am

Re: Another anniversary

congrats to you all on another year :)

moneypenny20 Nov 5th 2007 5:37 am

Cracking post Gill. Good to see you on here:thumbsup:

Clippy Nov 5th 2007 6:37 am

That's a great update :)

Bix da Boss Nov 5th 2007 8:05 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5512171)
Cracking post Gill. Good to see you on here:thumbsup:

Thks m8! I was naughty and stayed on the laptop all morning and didn't come off till 1.30pm eek!!! Hence, no housework done today:ohmy: Hope you guys are ok.

Take care
Gill
x

moneypenny20 Nov 5th 2007 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss (Post 5512534)
Thks m8! I was naughty and stayed on the laptop all morning and didn't come off till 1.30pm eek!!! Hence, no housework done today:ohmy: Hope you guys are ok.

Take care
Gill
x

Yup all good:D I won't tell Bix ;):lol:

Bix Nov 5th 2007 8:57 am

Where's me bloody tea woman :curse:

Sam Nov 5th 2007 9:33 am

:rofl:

Bix da Boss Nov 6th 2007 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 5512662)
Where's me bloody tea woman :curse:

OOOHHH I'm scared:ohmy: NOT:rofl:

Dicko Nov 6th 2007 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss (Post 5511645)
Well all, last week 31st October 2007 we celebrated our third year of being in beautiful sunnyCairns:)

The last three years has had many ups and downs - bit like a rollercoaster ride! The first two years were the worst for us - came over on a 457 temp visa - had to apply for a PR visa once hear - got that in May 2005, relief - cld not sell hse in UK - rented it out for a yr - after many stressful months - sold it end 2006 - came out of renting in OZ for two years and bought our first house in Oct 2006 - that is when we really started to settle and stress levels began to ease. Not having a property in the UK to worry abt was blissful!!

Until we sold our hse in the UK it was hard to 'let go' the ties (family and friends not included) and move forward into our new life. For me, buying our own hse has made all the differnece as did not like renting at all, although it works for some people, not me!! We have always had our own house and thats what we like!!

Everyday working life is generally the same - Bix is lucky to be on a far better wage and has work appreciation which he never did in the UK although with the same company for 30+ yrs!
I have had a couple of part time retail jobs - wld not willingly do that again! For over a year now lucky enough not to have to work unless i want to - that cld change of course but enjoying it - always have, especially since being here - wonder why ??!! Sunny weather by any chance lol!
Our two sons - Mark 21 and Nathan 19 have settled now and both have good full time jobs, and excellent social life when they want it. Neither wanted to come but have gone with the flo and are now adament they will be staying in Australia for the foreseeable future. They are young, they can do what they want.

For us coming from Cornwall, Cairns opened up so much more to our everyday lives. Shopping alone is brilliant - anything and everything you want is here so different for us more choice and big shopping malls, which I love of course he he!!! The scenery is just stunning, so much to see and do, entertainment wise, lots for choice, there is something for everybody, every age if you have the time, money and energy of course!We are happy going to the Esplanade, having a drink and bite to eat and doing some window shopping - there are loads of shops we still haven't seen that are up and down the many streets in Cairns! When we have visitors and are taking them around, it never ceases to amaze us how much more to Cairns there is!!

There are issues that get to you over here like there is in the UK and every other country in the world - that will never change. But that is part of life. Looking thru rose tinted glasses does not work!!

We have made a few really good friends - not easy coming to a new country especially if your kids are not of school age, but we have done it and value their friendship a lot, social get togethers, wine, beer, good food excellent company and much laughter - well you know BIX, no taming a lion, he does the drinking and I do the driving lol!!!

We came with an open mind no great expectations apart from better weather. Once here, just got on with it, went with the flo, kept an open mind, embraced the differences and didn't moan abt them. Australia is not England - wld be no point emigrating if it was!!! An oppurtunity to change certain parts of your life is what you will get, everyday routine is the same, work, kids, school, housework etc. Dont expect it all to fall into place as soon as you land - it can take time - be patient - stay as positive as you can - there is a good life to be had hear so make the most of the chance you have been given:)

Having bites from nasty little insects! Bloody pain but hey something has to be right??!!
Tropical Plants and trees - fantastic - colours and textures - out of this world!
Loads of docs and dentists and any other form of medical help to choose from - means a lot.

Cor blimey - i cld go on but wont!!! Think thats enough for you to get the idea eh:D

All in all folks, it was the right move for us and have not regretted it for one single minute, I can say that with my hand on my heart. Still miss family and friends but nothing else. Love it hear and hope we have many more years in tropical north Queensland - paradise on earth:)

Hope you enjoy reading my post - good luck to all of you that want to follow your dream

Take care

Why was it moved??

Great update from the both of you, I presume Bix had his input, (on the big words) ;) :D

Seriously though I remember chatting to you both many moons ago when we were all in the UK.
How the times passes so quickly but outlooks never change. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the 3 years, regards to the hubbie and hope you all continue to enjoy everything North Qld has to offer..............................

Humidity, Tropical Storms, Killer Jellyfish etc:D

Scrawni 2 Nov 6th 2007 12:51 pm

Lovely to read Gal!

I can remember when you first arrived and all the ups and down of moving. It is so nice to see that you still love it and I do miss Cairns and understand where your coming from. Let's hope our house sale goes through this time (sent you an email today), can wait to see ya mate.

Mandy

ELLJAY Nov 6th 2007 8:12 pm

Take care

Why was it moved??

Great post:)
Congrats on 3 yrs
Lj

egghead4 Nov 6th 2007 10:06 pm

[QUOTE=Bix da Boss;5511645]Well all, last week 31st October 2007 we celebrated our third year of being in beautiful sunnyCairns:)

brilliant post gill. it sound like your family are thriving in oz. keep spending those dollars, a girl cant have enough clothes, shoes;)
keep us updated:thumbsup:
bec

Bix da Boss Nov 6th 2007 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dicko (Post 5516673)
Great update from the both of you, I presume Bix had his input, (on the big words) ;) :D

Seriously though I remember chatting to you both many moons ago when we were all in the UK.
How the times passes so quickly but outlooks never change. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the 3 years, regards to the hubbie and hope you all continue to enjoy everything North Qld has to offer..............................

Humidity, Tropical Storms, Killer Jellyfish etc:D

Cheeky bugger:D

I can just abt remember you Dicko :p

Having fun are we??

Bix da Boss Nov 6th 2007 10:50 pm

[QUOTE=egghead4;5520729]

brilliant post gill. it sound like your family are thriving in oz. keep spending those dollars, a girl cant have enough clothes, shoes;)
keep us updated:thumbsup:
bec

Thanks - glad you enjoyed reading it as I tend to just type away without checking what it sounds like he he!! I cld have said so much more but got told off by bix for stealing his thunder as he usually does the yearly updates :lol:

A girl you understands :) Dont worry - shoes and clothes are always on my shopping list, along with CD's and DVD's:thumbup:

Cheers