Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Angie and Marks update June 2009

Angie and Marks update June 2009

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:54 pm
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice
Smile Angie and Marks update June 2009

Hi there,

Hubby told at risk of redundancy same day as visa grant email arrived. He was shortly after made redundant. I had an accident and he cared for me and I was bed ridden. I had Physio to enable me to travel and once I was well enough we left UK.

We arrived in Australia on a 139 visa on 7th December 2006. We arrived in Sydney and stayed with an Uncle for a couple of days then went to another Uncles for Christmas and January. We left there and travelled overland to Western Australia arriving Feb 2009. We only bought the 40Kg flight allowance and got rid of everything else. We didn't ship anything.

We worked for room and board - well room anyway for a week (Hubby is IT consultant and ended up shovelling sand) by the end of the week Hubby had a 3 month contract to start the next week. We moved into a Youth hostel for another week before getting a rental property.

My work was harder to get. I had to have an address in the state before I could get the Working with children check, which I needed before I could get work. I am now working part time as a supervisor - basically supervising parents visits with their children in line with court orders made in the family court. I have run an employment agency from home and have a very good reputation and have been told by my current agency they can get me all the work I want.

After 3 months hubby got a permanent position and started the following week and we applied for a mortgage and moved into our own house in July 2007.

We bought a house that needs work. We have so far had the roof fixed and new guttering, new front door, new laundry door, ceilings replaced and we are still looking at getting solar pannels and insulation and repaint the whole house. Did our bedroom last week and started on lounge. We are not painters so it takes a week or so per room.

In November 2007 we got a black labradoor dog.

We are happy and settled and looking forward to taking the citizenship pledge in November 2009, when my parents visit from the UK. We have been back to the UK to where we lived for 6 weeks for sis in laws wedding and after one week we were itching to get home to Australia. We still miss our friends and family but the sacrefice to us was worth it.

Angie and Mark
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Angie and Marks update June 2009

This is a terrific account of your Australian adventure and very well done to both of you! The manner in which you have dealt with various situations and your attitude to getting on with things is great and the fact that you were prepared to diversify your work situation ie 'shovelling sand' etc when your background is IT suggests that you are both determined to do what it takes to make it a success!

Well done and keep up the good work!

Lone Ranger
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markrj
Hi there,

Hubby told at risk of redundancy same day as visa grant email arrived. He was shortly after made redundant. I had an accident and he cared for me and I was bed ridden. I had Physio to enable me to travel and once I was well enough we left UK.

We arrived in Australia on a 139 visa on 7th December 2006. We arrived in Sydney and stayed with an Uncle for a couple of days then went to another Uncles for Christmas and January. We left there and travelled overland to Western Australia arriving Feb 2009. We only bought the 40Kg flight allowance and got rid of everything else. We didn't ship anything.

We worked for room and board - well room anyway for a week (Hubby is IT consultant and ended up shovelling sand) by the end of the week Hubby had a 3 month contract to start the next week. We moved into a Youth hostel for another week before getting a rental property.

My work was harder to get. I had to have an address in the state before I could get the Working with children check, which I needed before I could get work. I am now working part time as a supervisor - basically supervising parents visits with their children in line with court orders made in the family court. I have run an employment agency from home and have a very good reputation and have been told by my current agency they can get me all the work I want.

After 3 months hubby got a permanent position and started the following week and we applied for a mortgage and moved into our own house in July 2007.

We bought a house that needs work. We have so far had the roof fixed and new guttering, new front door, new laundry door, ceilings replaced and we are still looking at getting solar pannels and insulation and repaint the whole house. Did our bedroom last week and started on lounge. We are not painters so it takes a week or so per room.

In November 2007 we got a black labradoor dog.

We are happy and settled and looking forward to taking the citizenship pledge in November 2009, when my parents visit from the UK. We have been back to the UK to where we lived for 6 weeks for sis in laws wedding and after one week we were itching to get home to Australia. We still miss our friends and family but the sacrefice to us was worth it.

Angie and Mark
Great post. Glad you have settled so well.

Just a question - do 139ers only have to wait 2 years until they can get citizenship? We have to wait 4 years (136ers)?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:17 pm
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice

139 visa was permanent visa and is now temporary, we were the last batch of permanent residents. We arrived before Jan 2007 so had to meet criteria that were in place on arrival. We had to do a test that they are making easier and satisfy the 2 year requirement which is longer now than it was then. For full info see www.citizenship.gov.au

Angie