Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Almost a year in Melbourne

Almost a year in Melbourne

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice
Default Re: Almost a year in Melbourne

I totally agree with the last poster. I normally skim read posts like this with interest and appreciation but I have to say I read every word of your post and found it to be totally engrossing! Fantastic and so well written. Thank you for taking the time to write this and best of luck for the future!

Sandy
Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Hi Mike,

OH has been getting rather doubtful about moving over lately.

We are waiting on visa and she is so full of doubts, that is until she read your thread, and now apparently we are definately going.

Thanks mate!

Crocodileseamus
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the kind responses, glad I could help.

Just told it like it is for us.

Wish you all the very best of luck, keep smiling
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mike H
Thanks for all the kind responses, glad I could help.

Just told it like it is for us.

Wish you all the very best of luck, keep smiling
since reading ur post mike we are all smiling and excited to get their.

crocodileseamus it made me smile as my boy is name seamus.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah n Andy will become famous soon enoughSarah n Andy will become famous soon enough

Hi Mike,
Bit of an echo going on here but just want to say a big thank you for taking the time to share your experience.What a great success story.I'm glad to hear you are loving your new life.I wish you all the best !
No-one has a crystal ball,we can't say whether making that decision (probably the biggest decision in anyones life)is going to be the right one .I'm sure for every person that moves to Oz and loves it,there's another who can't wait to catch the next plane home.
We are hoping to be in Melbourne by December along with our 2 young daughters (3+5) and are at present beginning to,for the first time,ask ourselves what if....
what if we can't get jobs ? what if we can't afford to live as comfortably as we do here? what if the girls can't settle? what if we can't settle? But, you know what, lifes too short for what if's and playing it safe-if you have a dream then follow it ! If it doesn't work out-come home but give it your all,put your life and soul into that new life that you've craved so long for(and took almost 18 months to process through immigration)
You guys have proved that a positive attitude makes all the difference and I wish each and everyone of you that reads this,a long,happy and settled future in what is to me ,the most fantastic country in the world-Australia.
Take care all and once again-thanks Mike
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

sarah,

u r soooooooooooooo right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we too are going melbourne mornington in may.

Diane
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:43 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Fab post Mike
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Sarah n Andy will become famous soon enoughSarah n Andy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by posh10
sarah,

u r soooooooooooooo right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we too are going melbourne mornington in may.

Diane
Hi Diane,
I see you are one of the lucky ones who already has their visa ! Not too much longer for you now and you'll be on that plane bound for a wonderful new ,exciting future.Good luck in Mornington-I hope Oz brings the everything you and your family wish for. We are still waiting a case officer (we've been going through the visa process for almost 2 years now and have hit a few problems along the way)it feels like forever !! Still,positive thinking-hopefully we are on the home stretch.
Take care and have a fantastic life in Melbourne
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

hi sarah

thanks for that. yes i finish work thurs and then its pack men in april and off may 6th. good luck to u and ur visa will come soon
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

selvaraj.ca is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike H
You often here people say that they can’t believe just how quickly the last year has gone. Never more true of our first year in Oz. It seems like weeks not months ago that we said all our goodbye’s and left behind our friends and family to boldly go into the unknown, well, Melbourne actually!

People generally still don’t believe us when we say that we didn’t know what we were going to do when we arrived, but it’s true. Sometime in that eighteen months of chaos, trade skills assessments, visa applications, countless e mails and a very difficult house sale we decided to stop worrying about the things we couldn’t influence.

After all, we had more than enough to do on the UK side of things that needed our full attention. If we had started to worry about housing, work, mortgages etc. in a place that we had never ever seen before that might just have just been one worry too many.

So, we decided that all worries relating to a future life in the southern hemisphere were not up for discussion until we landed in Oz. And that’s what we done. Checked into an airport Hotel a little bit bleary and jaded on the night that we landed, dropped the bags, ordered a couple of drinks and said ‘Right, what should we do with the rest of our lives?’

This I imagine is not a great game plan for those of you with children and as we only brought our dog with us, things were I’m sure a lot less complicated for us in comparison to those of you planning a move for a family.

Also worth mentioning, we are not (nor never will be) millionaires, we sold everything we had and didn’t make huge amounts on the sale of our property as the area we come from never quite hit the property hike we kept reading about. We probable brought over a little less than the average if you believe the stats on the net.

We had one month holiday accommodation booked in St Kilda and we figured enough money to see us through twelve months if we used the ‘mortgage deposit’ fund.

What we did have though was a determination to do whatever it took to make it work, and so far so good – it’s seen us through to this point.

Here’s how we are finding things so far

The people -Got to be honest here. I read a number of posts on line when still in the UK describing terrible anti pom sentiment being rife here. Maybe we are very lucky but to a person, we have only found the Australians very friendly people. It’s true that they are very direct but also very straight! Yeah, you get your fair share of teenage road racers (Hoons) wheel spinning their way around Safeway’s car park in the small hours and no night out is complete without seeing the odd bleached mullet drinking tins of Bundaberg Rum and Coke whilst singing AC/DC songs very badly, but then you tend not to stop these people to enter into a conversation.
One of the reasons we fell out with the UK was the rise in violent crime and disorder, we don’t feel that here.

Let me share one thing with you that will always stick in our minds – We had been here three weeks and were sitting in a café the week before last Christmas with everything we owned piled into the car we had just bought that was parked outside. We were in the process of moving from our holiday accommodation into our rental, for some reason we couldn’t collect the keys until 5pm so we were making some coffee last as long as we could while keeping all our worldly assets in good view. The lady who was serving us picked up on our accents and took pity on us for not having any family around us at Christmas time and invited us to spend Christmas day with her and her extended family! So obviously we initially suspected all the obvious ie. nutter, religious zealot, serial killer etc. but as we had no other plans (or friends) we went along and met a wonderful family who not only treated us like their own but had actually wrapped boxes of chocolates as gifts for us so we were not left out of the proceedings. I tell you, a very humbling experience. We have stayed in touch with this family and catch up for a meal every couple of months. I’ve actually met two other ex-pats who have had similar Christmas invites! Not with the same family I might add.

Very pleased to say we have made some good friends in a short period of time. We are the only poms on our estate and everyone stops to speak which is nice.

The place - We had never been to Victoria prior to getting off the plane but it’s a great place for us. Within three hours drive you can be well along the great ocean road, inland to some great country side and the snow fields in the winter. Never been city dwellers and never liked spending too much time in them but Melbourne is a beautiful place, big and airy, new and old, fast and slow. Great for catching live music and you can overdose on sport any given weekend. Very clean too!

The traffic can be a bit of a pain, but that’s a city for you. If you settle somewhere within reach of one of the train lines it makes life simpler.

Renting, we were lucky I think. We spent the first three weeks on line checking the rentals available every morning and then driving around visiting in the afternoon. Three weeks after we touched down we were moving into a four bed roomed furnished house in a suburb about 30 mins from the city centre and ten minutes from the country (Rowville). Still there, starting to look to buy soon. TOP TIP – Bring a laptop and make sure your rental has an online link up. Save you so much running around.

Banking, Tax, Medicare, buying the Car etc. It all seemed to fall into place, you’re not the first persons to do this. We had opened accounts from the UK with ANZ and only good things to say about them. TOP TIP – Keep a UK credit card and a UK account, you won’t get a credit card here until you have a job and you need them for quite a few things (paying road tolls, topping up phone cards……debit cards aren’t as accepted here for a number of things!).

Getting to see a Doctor is a doddle! Most medical centres have a number of doctors on call and are open early until late. Dentists a little more difficult but at least you can get to see one.

Private medicals insurance here is not the luxury it is seen as in the UK. It’s very common and not that expensive. It’s in you interest to take it out as after the age of thirty your income tax gets loaded every year above the age of thirty for those who don’t have private insurance. Worth noting, as an immigrant no matter what age you are, as long as you join a scheme within one year of arrival you join a scheme at the same rate as a thirty year old. For nationals the cost climbs up after the age of thirty.

Cost of living - Something’s are cheaper than the UK some things not. Forget about the comparisons the day you stop earning pounds. Depends how you budget yourself I guess.

The Weather, bloody hot summer and autumn (not whinging!) and surprised how cold the winter was (handful of ground frosts and cold winds too).

Work, there is a lot of work opportunities. In the UK my wife worked with children with special needs (integration aids they are called in Oz) and after some initial work in childcare centres which she did not enjoy, took herself around the local schools with a bag of résumé’s and had a lot of casual work within a couple of weeks. One of those positions has now become a full contract we are pleased to say. I was a Fitter & Turner many years ago and been in Occ Health and Safety for a number of years more latterly. Took me two weeks to land a job back in OH&S when I finally put my CV through an agency (we did give ourselves three months chill out and acclimatise time after arriving). Had that job a couple of months in that position and got offered another job, where I am today. Lots of short term or twelve months contracts about but that seems to be more the norm here than the UK in my opinion.

Family visiting - Fantastic when they arrive and then breaks your heart all over again when they leave. Don’t think that one will ever get easier.

The health system! Had the poor luck to be rushed into Hospital for a surgical procedure, our private medibank care had not kicked in (has a cooling off period) so went in through the Oz version of the NHS. Nothing bad to say about the facilities and the staff were wonderful. I’m told if I had been private, I would still have travelled to the same hospital for the procedure but just recuperated in a private clinic.

So all in all, things have been good for so far.

I’m not saying that Australia is a great big Shangri La where everyone hugs each other and the rivers flow with beer. I know of people who have decided it’s not for them and returned to the UK and for them that must be the right thing to do. All I’m saying is it has suited us so far.

We think it’s suited the dog too, hard to say as he doesn’t say much but he keeps himself busy chasing possums up tree’s.

The reasons that brought us here was the search for that old cliché of a better quality of life, the thing that motivates almost all of us to leave behind security, familiarity, friends family and less than great weather.

And have we found it? I honestly think we may have.

I believe that it’s not until you have begun working and doing ‘normal everyday’ things that you can measure how well you are settling. Three months travelling around was fantastic but doesn’t leave you any idea of how settled you will be when you are both back in day jobs and looking forward to the weekends again.

My only advice to any of you who are reading this and about to take the huge leap of faith that is emigrating in search of that ‘improved quality of life’ is to ask yourself what exactly does that mean to you.

If you’re Aussie dream is the Ute, the boat, the house on the coast and the huge flat screen TV. Good luck and I wish you all the best in that.

Or is it the urge to simply experience a new life where hopefully you will be happier in yourselves than you are in your current one?

In our limited experience it’s the people who fall into the latter category who seem to be making it work. Not saying that’s the Gospel, just what we have found.

You do have to work hard at it and when one of you is down or family sick the other person needs to be strong and positive. There’s big emotional ups and downs that catch you when you least expect them and it does test you. But keeping positive and keeping has helped.

So, have we got more friends here than the UK? Of course not.

Are we earning more here than we were in the UK? That would have to be a no too.

Do we know what the future will bring? Absolutely not.

Are we happier? Yes, lots!

It may all change tomorrow, who knows, but for now…life is good.

Rambled on here a bit longer than intended but hope it’s give some perspective to people planning to make the move…..and if that’s you. The very best of luck to you.
Hi,

I am in the stage of ACS, i would like to know how is the job opportunities in australia for Information Technology, i am bit worried as few of my friends who moved to melbourne had raised their concerns about getting job on time. Please let me know how many months would it take to get a suitable IT job.

Thanks,
Raj.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice

What a great read! Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience to date - we have found it very inspirational!!

We wish you contiuned success in Melbourne - we are heading out in 3 wks and this is just what we needed to read - Thanks.

Ange and Chris x
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold

Glad you found it useful. Wishing you all the best, keep positive and I'm sure it'll work out.

.....it get's a lot easier when the plane leaves the ground.

Best of luck and enjoy your new life.

Mike and Jayne
Old Sep 1st 2008, 4:26 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

good post, I like rowville, will you stay there?? we are just down the road in glen waverley, but i am never away from rowville as every one of my daughters friends seems to live there, think this is due to the fact rowville high school has got a crap reputation, so her friends all attend glen waverley.

I
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Just moved into our first place in Ferntree Gully, I'm actually typing this from a laptop placd on a packing case! Life still good!

Take care

Mike