Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Almost a year in Melbourne

Almost a year in Melbourne

Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Almost a year in Melbourne

Thanks for your comments all.

Brings all last years dramas back reading you current situations.

This link is something I posted after a couple of months in, hope it helps with the preparations.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416975

Keep smiling, it'll be worth it.

Mike

Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:42 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike H

Let me share one thing with you that will always stick in our minds – We had been here three weeks and were sitting in a café the week before last Christmas with everything we owned piled into the car we had just bought that was parked outside. We were in the process of moving from our holiday accommodation into our rental, for some reason we couldn’t collect the keys until 5pm so we were making some coffee last as long as we could while keeping all our worldly assets in good view. The lady who was serving us picked up on our accents and took pity on us for not having any family around us at Christmas time and invited us to spend Christmas day with her and her extended family! So obviously we initially suspected all the obvious ie. nutter, religious zealot, serial killer etc. but as we had no other plans (or friends) we went along and met a wonderful family who not only treated us like their own but had actually wrapped boxes of chocolates as gifts for us so we were not left out of the proceedings. I tell you, a very humbling experience.

Very cool... A typical Aussie gesture imo.

Great post. I hope the rest of your time here continues to as good.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

What a great post, thanks for taking the time to write it
Good luck to you both
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Hello,
thank you for taking the time to write this message, I have found it to be really usefull, to the extent that I have printed this and your previous tips out, I have decided today that when I come across good helpfull threads like yours to print and keep them, because when we get closer to getting our visa, all usefull info will help and nobody can remember every think they read 6 months ago.

Good luck for your future in oz

Isle
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:27 pm
Sassy Stockport Lass

Sue Stockport is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by isle
Hello,
thank you for taking the time to write this message, I have found it to be really usefull, to the extent that I have printed this and your previous tips out, I have decided today that when I come across good helpfull threads like yours to print and keep them, because when we get closer to getting our visa, all usefull info will help and nobody can remember every think they read 6 months ago.

Good luck for your future in oz

Isle
What a fab post to read ! Me and my OH head out to the Sunshine Coast towards the end of November. We're both really scared now as the reality that we're going is sinking in..... I leave my job on Friday to start the preparations for us going. We are both dreading Christmas without the family - as we know no-one in Australia - but at least we will have each other. Hope you continue to enjoy life in Australia x
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mike H
You often here people say that they can’t believe just how quickly the last year has gone. Never more true of our first year in Oz. It seems like weeks not months ago that we said all our goodbye’s and left behind our friends and family to boldly go into the unknown, well, Melbourne actually!

People generally still don’t believe us when we say that we didn’t know what we were going to do when we arrived, but it’s true. Sometime in that eighteen months of chaos, trade skills assessments, visa applications, countless e mails and a very difficult house sale we decided to stop worrying about the things we couldn’t influence.

After all, we had more than enough to do on the UK side of things that needed our full attention. If we had started to worry about housing, work, mortgages etc. in a place that we had never ever seen before that might just have just been one worry too many.

So, we decided that all worries relating to a future life in the southern hemisphere were not up for discussion until we landed in Oz. And that’s what we done. Checked into an airport Hotel a little bit bleary and jaded on the night that we landed, dropped the bags, ordered a couple of drinks and said ‘Right, what should we do with the rest of our lives?’

This I imagine is not a great game plan for those of you with children and as we only brought our dog with us, things were I’m sure a lot less complicated for us in comparison to those of you planning a move for a family.

Also worth mentioning, we are not (nor never will be) millionaires, we sold everything we had and didn’t make huge amounts on the sale of our property as the area we come from never quite hit the property hike we kept reading about. We probable brought over a little less than the average if you believe the stats on the net.

We had one month holiday accommodation booked in St Kilda and we figured enough money to see us through twelve months if we used the ‘mortgage deposit’ fund.

What we did have though was a determination to do whatever it took to make it work, and so far so good – it’s seen us through to this point.

Here’s how we are finding things so far

The people -Got to be honest here. I read a number of posts on line when still in the UK describing terrible anti pom sentiment being rife here. Maybe we are very lucky but to a person, we have only found the Australians very friendly people. It’s true that they are very direct but also very straight! Yeah, you get your fair share of teenage road racers (Hoons) wheel spinning their way around Safeway’s car park in the small hours and no night out is complete without seeing the odd bleached mullet drinking tins of Bundaberg Rum and Coke whilst singing AC/DC songs very badly, but then you tend not to stop these people to enter into a conversation.
One of the reasons we fell out with the UK was the rise in violent crime and disorder, we don’t feel that here.

Let me share one thing with you that will always stick in our minds – We had been here three weeks and were sitting in a café the week before last Christmas with everything we owned piled into the car we had just bought that was parked outside. We were in the process of moving from our holiday accommodation into our rental, for some reason we couldn’t collect the keys until 5pm so we were making some coffee last as long as we could while keeping all our worldly assets in good view. The lady who was serving us picked up on our accents and took pity on us for not having any family around us at Christmas time and invited us to spend Christmas day with her and her extended family! So obviously we initially suspected all the obvious ie. nutter, religious zealot, serial killer etc. but as we had no other plans (or friends) we went along and met a wonderful family who not only treated us like their own but had actually wrapped boxes of chocolates as gifts for us so we were not left out of the proceedings. I tell you, a very humbling experience. We have stayed in touch with this family and catch up for a meal every couple of months. I’ve actually met two other ex-pats who have had similar Christmas invites! Not with the same family I might add.

Very pleased to say we have made some good friends in a short period of time. We are the only poms on our estate and everyone stops to speak which is nice.

The place - We had never been to Victoria prior to getting off the plane but it’s a great place for us. Within three hours drive you can be well along the great ocean road, inland to some great country side and the snow fields in the winter. Never been city dwellers and never liked spending too much time in them but Melbourne is a beautiful place, big and airy, new and old, fast and slow. Great for catching live music and you can overdose on sport any given weekend. Very clean too!

The traffic can be a bit of a pain, but that’s a city for you. If you settle somewhere within reach of one of the train lines it makes life simpler.

Renting, we were lucky I think. We spent the first three weeks on line checking the rentals available every morning and then driving around visiting in the afternoon. Three weeks after we touched down we were moving into a four bed roomed furnished house in a suburb about 30 mins from the city centre and ten minutes from the country (Rowville). Still there, starting to look to buy soon. TOP TIP – Bring a laptop and make sure your rental has an online link up. Save you so much running around.

Banking, Tax, Medicare, buying the Car etc. It all seemed to fall into place, you’re not the first persons to do this. We had opened accounts from the UK with ANZ and only good things to say about them. TOP TIP – Keep a UK credit card and a UK account, you won’t get a credit card here until you have a job and you need them for quite a few things (paying road tolls, topping up phone cards……debit cards aren’t as accepted here for a number of things!).

Getting to see a Doctor is a doddle! Most medical centres have a number of doctors on call and are open early until late. Dentists a little more difficult but at least you can get to see one.

Private medicals insurance here is not the luxury it is seen as in the UK. It’s very common and not that expensive. It’s in you interest to take it out as after the age of thirty your income tax gets loaded every year above the age of thirty for those who don’t have private insurance. Worth noting, as an immigrant no matter what age you are, as long as you join a scheme within one year of arrival you join a scheme at the same rate as a thirty year old. For nationals the cost climbs up after the age of thirty.

Cost of living - Something’s are cheaper than the UK some things not. Forget about the comparisons the day you stop earning pounds. Depends how you budget yourself I guess.

The Weather, bloody hot summer and autumn (not whinging!) and surprised how cold the winter was (handful of ground frosts and cold winds too).

Work, there is a lot of work opportunities. In the UK my wife worked with children with special needs (integration aids they are called in Oz) and after some initial work in childcare centres which she did not enjoy, took herself around the local schools with a bag of résumé’s and had a lot of casual work within a couple of weeks. One of those positions has now become a full contract we are pleased to say. I was a Fitter & Turner many years ago and been in Occ Health and Safety for a number of years more latterly. Took me two weeks to land a job back in OH&S when I finally put my CV through an agency (we did give ourselves three months chill out and acclimatise time after arriving). Had that job a couple of months in that position and got offered another job, where I am today. Lots of short term or twelve months contracts about but that seems to be more the norm here than the UK in my opinion.

Family visiting - Fantastic when they arrive and then breaks your heart all over again when they leave. Don’t think that one will ever get easier.

The health system! Had the poor luck to be rushed into Hospital for a surgical procedure, our private medibank care had not kicked in (has a cooling off period) so went in through the Oz version of the NHS. Nothing bad to say about the facilities and the staff were wonderful. I’m told if I had been private, I would still have travelled to the same hospital for the procedure but just recuperated in a private clinic.

So all in all, things have been good for so far.

I’m not saying that Australia is a great big Shangri La where everyone hugs each other and the rivers flow with beer. I know of people who have decided it’s not for them and returned to the UK and for them that must be the right thing to do. All I’m saying is it has suited us so far.

We think it’s suited the dog too, hard to say as he doesn’t say much but he keeps himself busy chasing possums up tree’s.

The reasons that brought us here was the search for that old cliché of a better quality of life, the thing that motivates almost all of us to leave behind security, familiarity, friends family and less than great weather.

And have we found it? I honestly think we may have.

I believe that it’s not until you have begun working and doing ‘normal everyday’ things that you can measure how well you are settling. Three months travelling around was fantastic but doesn’t leave you any idea of how settled you will be when you are both back in day jobs and looking forward to the weekends again.

My only advice to any of you who are reading this and about to take the huge leap of faith that is emigrating in search of that ‘improved quality of life’ is to ask yourself what exactly does that mean to you.

If you’re Aussie dream is the Ute, the boat, the house on the coast and the huge flat screen TV. Good luck and I wish you all the best in that.

Or is it the urge to simply experience a new life where hopefully you will be happier in yourselves than you are in your current one?

In our limited experience it’s the people who fall into the latter category who seem to be making it work. Not saying that’s the Gospel, just what we have found.

You do have to work hard at it and when one of you is down or family sick the other person needs to be strong and positive. There’s big emotional ups and downs that catch you when you least expect them and it does test you. But keeping positive and keeping has helped.

So, have we got more friends here than the UK? Of course not.

Are we earning more here than we were in the UK? That would have to be a no too.

Do we know what the future will bring? Absolutely not.

Are we happier? Yes, lots!

It may all change tomorrow, who knows, but for now…life is good.

Rambled on here a bit longer than intended but hope it’s give some perspective to people planning to make the move…..and if that’s you. The very best of luck to you.
Hi Mike,

absolutely the best post i've read on this site. even my OH read it and he never does anything on BE normally. You put my mind at rest and made me feel comfortable in our decision to go. We too are heading to melbourne Mournington area. Is that far from you ?? Would love to meet up with you whenever we get there as you seem a decent couple. and like you said arriving their with no-one can be quite an experience.

Either way, wish you another good 12 months and a fab christmas this year !!

Diane & Mic
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

SammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really nice

Hi Mike,

I discovered BE yesterday and I spent many an hour reading through the experiences of others wondering if myself and the hubby were doing the right thing by taking the first steps to emigrate, and your humble post has really spurred me on.
Many thanks Mike for taking the time to write so informatively, and who knows, maybe in two years time it'll be me telling everyone how I'm getting on.
Kindest regards
Sam
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

itsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really nice

Fantastic post very Helpful
My Sister lives in Melbourne and loves it
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there great positive post as you have described if you make a go of it, it is possible.

Good luck with the rest of your time here, one of the best updates I have read in a while.

As a point of interest, we have never found any of the antipom attitude either,maybe we are lucky as well
The one thing I actually like about them is you could be a millionaire or on the bones of your arse they treat you exactly the same as long as you are genuine and don't try to be someone your not.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:51 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Love it! Im so glad for you both (and your dog). We'll be in Melbourne end of Jan & after getting bogged down by the technics of it all your post has made me feel excited all over again!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

MIke,

What a fab post , I wantabe there and its so near but so far
Good Luck
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice

Well written Mike. Its our last night with the in-laws then we're off !
We have been surprised, esp. my wife with the emotions running all over the place these last few days - the one thing you cant really prepare for. Looking forward to loading up the hire car and finally starting whats taken a year and halfs effort to leave.

all the best
SB
Old Nov 1st 2007, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold

All the very best mate. I can releate, the saying goodbye and the whole emotional thing knocks you side ways, but once the undercarriage on that plane retracts and you start climbing into the sky the feeling of relief is quite extraordinary.
Good luck mate, your at the last hurdle now. It'll be worth it.

Old Nov 1st 2007, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

sarah24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Almost a year in Melbourne

Just read your post and like all the others have said, brillant, Im thinking of coming over to melbourne in feb of next yr. Im 24 and doing it on my own hoping 4 a better life for my future family. It a shame to have to leave england but as a young hard working person i feel u have no choice, I dont want to be surrounded by the crime either.
I have been told as a hairdresser to get a working visa or a skilled visa i dont know the difference!?! so hopefully I can gat sponsorship and get stay over there, not wanting to wait for the 9 - 12 months emirgration period.
If any one can offer any info on this that would be great.
also what areas are the best to be looking to rent and get started?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I read lots of these posts, it tends to lift my day. Gotta say yours is one of the best and well written posts Ive ever seen. Melbourne is obviously working for you.

Ever considered doing a writing course, anyone who can hold attention like you did, probably has natural talent, you would be wise to use it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.