British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Almost 9 years (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/almost-9-years-872039/)

Margaret4 Feb 8th 2016 3:17 am

Almost 9 years

And here I am signing back up to BE, FB just aint cutting it for me anymore:huh:

So a quick up date if anyone is interested.

Us

We were oldies moving to Australia with limited finances, we were 43 with two children and now are almost 52 with two children still at home.

Children

When we moved they were 8 and 15 now 23 and 17 ......... holy ****! 23 year old has completed her degree and now doing honors and has a part time job with Monash Uni as a research assistant
17 year old is now in year 12 and has turned out to be arty farty, I certainly didnt see that coming.
They both still have a strong connection to Scotland but also a strong one to Australia

Jobs

I am still working as a theater nurse in the public system, I am getting over that , its definitely an age thing though, not an Australian thing, but I am grateful i have as much work as i want and I am also grateful that my work has given me the chance to make friends and network.
My husband still has his printing job in the city.

Housing

God i got so sick of renting, it was a real pain, so about 7 months ago i clawed my way onto the housing market and now at the age of 51 have a mortgage that would choke a horse! but still feel more secure as it less than i was paying in rent, i dont have to stress about moving (unless financial circumstances dictate that!), and I dont have some arsehole estate agent coming round every six months telling me how to do my house work

Friends

After weeding out the ........ errr................ I now have some lovely friends, whom i love very much , and still love some of the peeps on here Polly, (have met in person and wished she stayed in Mellie)Soaps (still not met in person but Im sure I would still love him, Bix, yet to meet , cant wait, Bordy, met and love, Wendy.........what can i say, i met her and reckon we will have a lifelong connection. Geordiemandy, met a few yyears ago in Darwin and would love to catch up again.

Finances

Still poor but managing to pay the bills and survive.

Scotland

Still miss it and still love it but I know if I moved back there is a high possibility i would spend the rest of my life regretting it.

old.sparkles Feb 8th 2016 5:54 am

Re: Almost 9 years

Hi Margaret and thanks for the update :)

I got out of renting at the end of my second year - hated it :lol:

Do you remember your old user name at all?

ozzieeagle Feb 8th 2016 5:57 am

Good to hear Margaret.... It's can be a long road, but seems like it's worked for you....... "Mostly"

Margaret4 Feb 8th 2016 6:23 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 11860822)
Good to hear Margaret.... It's can be a long road, but seems like it's worked for you....... "Mostly"

Hey Ozzie have been reading your thread we must meet up again for a pint or two😊

Margaret4 Feb 8th 2016 6:25 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11860818)
Hi Margaret and thanks for the update :)

I got out of renting at the end of my second year - hated it :lol:

Do you remember your old user name at all?

Margaret3 lol and before thT Margaret2😳

old.sparkles Feb 8th 2016 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Margaret4 (Post 11860850)
Margaret3 lol and before thT Margaret2😳

:lol:

Pollyana Feb 8th 2016 6:43 am

Hey Margaret :wave:
That was such a brilliant time I had with you, a real day of laughter! I will give you a shout for sure next time I'm heading to Melbourne :) Us and the Ozzieeagles could have a great time together!

I'd love to move there but can't get the right job!

ozzieeagle Feb 8th 2016 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Margaret4 (Post 11860848)
Hey Ozzie have been reading your thread we must meet up again for a pint or two😊

Yes definitely.... maybe a drink or two in the City on Game day....

I'll PM you when I know what and who is going where :)

Margaret4 Feb 8th 2016 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11860855)
That was such a brilliant time I had with you, a real day of laughter! I will give you a shout for sure next time I'm heading to Melbourne :) Us and the Ozzieeagles could have a great time together!

Keep looking poll, I would love to have a drinkie and a friendship with you and the ozzies😊

ozzieeagle Feb 8th 2016 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11860855)

I'd love to do that .... good idea !

Pollyana Feb 8th 2016 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Margaret4 (Post 11860860)
Keep looking poll, I would love to have a drinkie and a friendship with you and the ozzies😊

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 11860862)
I'd love to do that .... good idea !

I'll let you know when I am next down that way....be a few months at least though.

moneypenny20 Feb 8th 2016 8:50 am

Great to hear things are good for you. Welcome back. :D

Margaret4 Feb 8th 2016 9:06 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11860936)
Great to hear things are good for you. Welcome back. :D

Fanx

geordie mandy Feb 9th 2016 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Margaret4 (Post 11860767)
And here I am signing back up to BE, FB just aint cutting it for me anymore:huh:

So a quick up date if anyone is interested.

Us

We were oldies moving to Australia with limited finances, we were 43 with two children and now are almost 52 with two children still at home.

Children

When we moved they were 8 and 15 now 23 and 17 ......... holy ****! 23 year old has completed her degree and now doing honors and has a part time job with Monash Uni as a research assistant
17 year old is now in year 12 and has turned out to be arty farty, I certainly didnt see that coming.
They both still have a strong connection to Scotland but also a strong one to Australia

Jobs

I am still working as a theater nurse in the public system, I am getting over that , its definitely an age thing though, not an Australian thing, but I am grateful i have as much work as i want and I am also grateful that my work has given me the chance to make friends and network.
My husband still has his printing job in the city.

Housing

God i got so sick of renting, it was a real pain, so about 7 months ago i clawed my way onto the housing market and now at the age of 51 have a mortgage that would choke a horse! but still feel more secure as it less than i was paying in rent, i dont have to stress about moving (unless financial circumstances dictate that!), and I dont have some arsehole estate agent coming round every six months telling me how to do my house work

Friends

After weeding out the ........ errr................ I now have some lovely friends, whom i love very much , and still love some of the peeps on here Polly, (have met in person and wished she stayed in Mellie)Soaps (still not met in person but Im sure I would still love him, Bix, yet to meet , cant wait, Bordy, met and love, Wendy.........what can i say, i met her and reckon we will have a lifelong connection. Geordiemandy, met a few yyears ago in Darwin and would love to catch up again.

Finances

Still poor but managing to pay the bills and survive.

Scotland

Still miss it and still love it but I know if I moved back there is a high possibility i would spend the rest of my life regretting it.

Now I'm further south would love to catch up with you too:nod: xx