Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Almost 6 months in ... what a ride!

Almost 6 months in ... what a ride!

Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Almost 6 months in ... what a ride!

[F]
We arrived in Australia (for the second time - Ping Ponged back again after 2 years back in the UK) in January, greeted by two lovely BE members at Cairns airport, thank you

After 4 days we headed down to the Gold Coast where a holiday apartment on Broadwater was waiting for us. We spent 4 weeks there but managed to secure a rental in Upper Coomera. Trying to find a rental was a nightmare. Every house we turned up at had about 5 other families to compete against. I do think it was because it was January and everyone was trying to get kids settled into school at the beginning of term.

We brought the cat out with us and she arrived about 2 days after moving into the rental. Whilst in quarantine she sustained an injury to her leg and had to be treated, I wasn't too happy and it was stress that we didn't need. Anyway we picked her up from Brisbane Airport about 5pm we had no problems. She has settled in really well but still will not leave the garden.

Gold Coast has some lovely areas and some not so lovely areas, same as anywhere really. Upper Coomera is great for families, and great for accessing Brisbane and the GC. My OH works southside of Brisbane and it takes him about 40-50 mins to get to work.

We have had some tough times since arriving (try OH not getting paid for 5 weeks whilst some toss pot in their Melbourne HR department being a total ****). Saying that we pulled through but good job we had saving to fall back on.

I have been applying for work in the last 3 to 4 weeks but have not had any luck so far. I went for an administrative position last week and they told me that they had 174 applicants for the one job! I have also had other companies tell me the same thing, over 100 applicants.

I have made some great friends here, for some reason all of them Kiwis and have settled in really well. I have had days where I have been a bit 'people sick', especially as my daughter has returned to the UK, but I have got through them. This time round I am a lot more prepared.

One thing I have noticed is how busy it become on the roads and how house prices have risen (although this could change with the way things are heading).

Will we stay here this time? Mmmmm, I promised myself that I would not put us under that kind of pressure. For now, we are enjoying Australia and have no plans to return to the UK.

[/FONT]
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:40 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost 6 months in ... what a ride!

good for you

at least your not in the negative frame of mind this time and are prepared to give it a go (not that you didnt last time)

Live each day as it comes and see what happens

Old Jun 13th 2008, 7:44 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost 6 months in ... what a ride!

Nice to hear from you! Not been on here for a while myself. I'm glad that you are settling in OK. Hope that you find a job soon, it's a bummer when there are so many applicants so little opportunity!

We're hoping to be heading out in September, we've decided on Adelaide unless someone offers something too good to be turned down elsewhere (although I can tell you it won't matter how good it is if it's in Perth....)