Almost 4 months in

Old Dec 14th 2010, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Persia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant future
Default Almost 4 months in

Hi there, I'm "Persia" named after my little princess but my real name is Ruth.

I'm English and moved to Auckland New Zealand in 2005 with my family, then moved to Queensland Australia in late July this year.

So far I'm loving it, only working part time at present so plenty of time to explore and take it all in.

If anyone one wants to chat about making the move from NZ to Australia I'm happy to help.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

MandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really nice
Default Re: Almost 4 months in

Hi Persia, thanks for your offer of help. My situation is similar to yours. We too moved to NZ in 2005 but to Christchurch (where we still are). I am trying to decide whether to move back to the UK or whether to give Oz a go while we are over here (have to say though, just read the thread about close shaves with redbacks (and snakes) and it has totally freaked me out). Anyway, my question is (and i will probably have lots of them) we are eligible to apply for NZ citizenship so can the get the NZ passports which would be our entry into Oz, but i understand one of the criteria is that you intend to remain in NZ. How do they check this? Is it just a tick box on the application form, do they put some sort of disclaimer in your passport that makes it invalid if you leave the country for a certain amount of time? How can you prove that you intend to remain in NZ? Also, could you let me know how long it took to get citizenship from start to finish. Your help is really appreciated

I need to make a decision soon so we can get the ball rolling on passports (need british ones renewing if going back to UK). Place in oz we are considering is Melbourne, city looks fabulous and one of the main draws for going there is the abundance of jobs there seems to be with fantastic pay (not hard to seem fantastic compared to NZ wages eh!) but the spiders and snakes are really worrying me, i freak when i see a whitetail!

Last edited by MandyB; Mar 9th 2011 at 7:16 am.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:33 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Almost 4 months in

Originally Posted by MandyB
my question is (and i will probably have lots of them) we are eligible to apply for NZ citizenship so can the get the NZ passports which would be our entry into Oz, but i understand one of the criteria is that you intend to remain in NZ. How do they check this?
They do not check this. You arrive in Oz on the same visa for a one week holiday as for the rest of your life (SCV444 visa), so there's no way of checking. Please be aware that this visa means you are a TEMPORARY resident and can never get permanent residency unless you qualify in the same way that any other country has to.

Place in oz we are considering is Melbourne, city looks fabulous and one of the main draws for going there is the abundance of jobs there seems to be with fantastic pay (not hard to seem fantastic compared to NZ wages eh!)
Yep. Melbourne is a fabulous city, gorgeous countryside and beaches too. Pay is double NZ, costs are half (roughly).

but the spiders and snakes are really worrying me, i freak when i see a whitetail!
Never seen a snake in 4 years, seen a few spiders but not been bothered by them!

BB
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

MandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really nice

Thanks Buzzy-Bee I've been reading the thread about the SCV visa so i understand about it not being the same as permanent residency. I have a feeling i wouldn't qualify, if i remember correctly the age limit for Oz was 35 or 36? Is that correct. I turn 40 this year. You wouldn't happen to know if my kids would still be entitled to free education would you. I understand they won't get subsidised further education without permanent residency. Would we also still be entitled to subsidised medical care or do we have to pay full price?

I've told hubby that i will give Melbourne a try but i have to admit that i'm still tooing and frowing between oz and uk. If i had a pro's and con's list it would be 50:50 right now
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:13 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy, as an NZ citizen you can come at any age and live forever as a temporary resident. If you want to apply for PR it gets much harder if you are over 45 although I think this is changing to 50.

The kids will get free education as NZ citizens.

We have found Melbourne offers us the best combination of the lifestyle of NZ and the financial economy of what the UK used to be like a few years ago!

BB
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Buzzy-Bee, I think thats made my mind up. Melbourne it is then.

I'll start a new thread regarding suburbs to get some info about those. If you could give help me out in there that would be great. Thank you so much