Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

8 months - Uk to Sydney to WA

8 months - Uk to Sydney to WA

Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 8 months - Uk to Sydney to WA

Thought i would give a quick update. We moved from the UK to Sydney in May last year, as my job doesnt exist in the UK - I am a exploration geologist, and we were sponsered by a mining company to move out on 457 visas.
Well, what can i say. Sydney is amazing and as stunning a place as you could imagine. However, and here is a word of warning for those comming on 457's, after a few weeks, the metal prices started heading south in a big way and my job started to look very insucure. For those that dont know, a person on a 457 visa only has 28 days to stay in the country if they cant find a another job and sponser.
So after looking around, i found a good role in a large company in Perth, so we faced another major move in the space of months and found ourselves in Perth in October.
Well, what can i say about Perth. It has its charms and Kings Park is trully stunning, but after buisness hours the city is dead! The cost of housing is VERY expensive, and what you get for it is shockingly bad.
So we looked at living south of the city and spent two weeks looking around Mandurah, eventually finding a amazing house in Dawesville, we are next to a amazing beach where dolphins come to play and are lucky enough to have a pool and spa - all for $300 a week.
So what are the ups and downs? - Perth is pretty and the public transport is amazing and incredibly cheap. So beats Sydney and the UK hands down. For example, my trip to work is about 80km, and cost me less than $7.
Perth is nicknamed Dullsville and i have to be honest - it deserves it. And for anyone who loves the arts, you are going to get bored pretty quick! Sydney on the other hand is fantastic with lots to do and see and a great night life - and its safe to go out on a night, so beats UK and Perth, (Perth has Northbridge if you really want to spend the evening in gang fights)
Weather. Well this will be contentious, but from what we have seen so far, i think i prefer Sydney - though both beat the UK, October and November in Perth was wet and cool and more like the UK, where as in Sydney, it was never cold or too wet all winter. Though the summer is hotter here in WA.
Cost of living - Some things are good value such as sea food and steaks - which make the lumps of gristle they pretend are steaks in the uk look really shamefull, but overall the cost of groceries is high, and particularly in WA as there is a lack of markets and things and so much more reliance on supermarkets.
Alchol - crazy laws in both, though NSW has the craziest and its expensive and crap.
Minor irritations are the driving standards. I was recently asked if UK standards were of the same level as WA and i had to reply that we could be if you were to cut off our extremities and blind fold us - Guess what guys YOU DONT NEED TO DRIVE 3M FROM THE CAR IN FRONT!.
TV is shockingly bad, but we knew that before we came and arent big tv adicts. But the appaling internet is a major bug bear. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE dispose of Telstra.
On the up, the beaches are great, and the water warm and it is amazing to spend my spare time in the water.
Some say that the people in WA are the friendliest, but we find the opposite and that Syndey were a lot friendlier.
So whats the verdict? Overall we prefer Oz to the UK and cant see myself ever living back in the UK, but having lived in other countries, i know i wont be in Oz for good.
I wish all of you on the adventure or contemplating it all the success and while you will find good and bad things between here and anywhere else, my advice is to give it a go
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ryem78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 8 months - Uk to Sydney to WA

Hi verystormy,

Thanks for the great post! I was particularly interested because for a time I was putting the preure on the OH to move to Perth rather than Sydney, but I'm quite happy not that we've settled on Wollongong. Your post makes me ever more certain we've made the right decision!

Can I just ask what the crazy alcohol laws are? I've heard about the strict driving & dog walking laws, but haven't heard anything about drinking? Other than not drinking in public but that's the same everywhere isn't it...
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah - they vary from state to state and even within state, but for example, you cant buy booze in a supermarket - only in special booze stores, the outdoor drinking is VERY different to the UK and in many areas you cant even sit outside, in some places you cant buy spirits in any measure other than a single - so no doubles! and in some you have to have a mixer with a spirit - even if you are having a nice after diner brandy, you have to have it with coke or something!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:08 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting perspective of the two coasts. Do you have plans to move back to Sydney, work permitting?
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:24 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hey verystormy it's great to hear from you, and glad to hear you are now pretty settled in Perth. How is your wife doing?

I'm pleased to report that it finally warmed up in Sydney - in fact the last couple of days even I have struggled with it, but then we don't have aircon or ceiling fans.

re. NSW licensing laws - not being a pub person I find the lack of small, relaxed wine bars (without food) a disappointment. I was told the laws have recently eased up so live in hope that more will open.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Good to hear from you Seasider. All good here in the west. I had heard temps had warmed up in the east, though we had December in the high 30's to 40's and we dont have air con either.
The wife is enjoying the slow pace of life and got used to the fact that we are a VERY long walk to the shops, (havent bought a car yet and she doesnt drive). The nearest shop is about a 3 hour round trip by walking, so she has invested in a push bike.
Its great to be near the ocean, though i do miss Sydney - Perth just isnt the same. But work is good and learning lots so cant complain. How are things there - how was xmas?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]

Pretty accurate re Perth.