British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   7 Weeks in Rockingham, Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/7-weeks-rockingham-perth-474933/)

bev Aug 18th 2007 2:03 am

7 Weeks in Rockingham, Perth

Hi all

Thought I would give a little update as I love reading other peoples adventures.
Arrived 11/07 stayed in accommodation near Perth airport for the night. Hired car next day, went North for a good look, not for us. Headed South liked everything about the area. We had researched this area alot in the uk and decided it ticked all our boxes. Stayed in beachfront apartment for one week, highly recommend it, Beachside Apartments. Secured a furnished rental in Baldivis on a month to month basis, wanted on property ladder quick. For the first 3 weeks we looked at hundreds of houses, all lovely. Bought brand new one in Harrington Waters move in next week.

Bought a car.

Did all the usual stuff TFN, Driving Licences Medicare, all very easy.

Boys were enrolled at Warnbro High 2 weeks after we after we arrived. Oldest son is loving it, he cannot believe some of the subjects he is being allowed to study. His favorite is Avaition and he is going flying in the next few weeks. Youngest son is 13 and loves Soccer he went for a trial at Safety Bay Soccer Academy and got in, started there last Tuesday. Both boys have settled in well which was something I was really concerned about as teenage years are difficult.

Myself I have met quite a few people, all very nice. Oh is overseas at moment been away for fortnight won't be back for at least 3 weeks, feeling very much on my ownsome. Last weekend never spoke to anyone except boys from Friday to Monday, long weekend. Met Sara on Tuesday for coffee, felt much better.

The rental we are in is in Baldivis, I think Baldivis is very nice, and we originally liked it so much we were looking at buying here, however we feel very isolated, there is nothing to do for the boys as their friends all live in Warnbro and Safety Bay etc, they don't like relying on me to taxi them everywhere. There is a shopping centre which is brand new. Anything else you have to drive. Boys need to get two buses if they want to go to school (I drive them at moment). They are looking forward to moving to our new house.

Bad things
I was bitten by a white tail 4 days after arriving, arm was a mess.
Bought 2 bikes on a Tuesday, yougest was stolen from kfc on the Thursday, bought another bike on the Friday.
Week 3 - oldest son whilst on bike was run over by a car. Covered in grazes foot was a mess, trip to hospital all ok. Bike taken to shop (we are regulars) cost as much as a new bike to fix, bought another bike.
All of the above could have happened anywhere, (except the spider bite) I just put it all down to experience.
It rained for our first 3 weeks. Good news for WA, but we have seen enough rain to last a lifetime.

THE SUN IS SHINING TODAY

I had never been to Oz before I came but what I have seen so far I like alot.

This was meant to be a wee update.

Elaine

MOONLIGHT Aug 18th 2007 7:47 am

Re: 7 Weeks in Rockingham, Perth

Lovely post, good luck to you all :):thumbsup:

gobbyjock Aug 18th 2007 8:36 am

You`ve been busy!! Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything when you get moved in!:D

bev Aug 18th 2007 9:35 am

Thanks for the offer Chris will keep it in mind.

Elaine

yellowmellow Aug 18th 2007 11:07 am

Glad that everything (apart from the spider bite, son being run over and the bike being stolen) is going well.

Hope to read more posts from you soon.

Becky and co

jo andy + 2 Aug 19th 2007 11:17 am

Hi Elaine,

liked your post, shame about the bikes and bite tho. we live just down the road from you and have only been here a couple of months. we had never been before either....... agree with you tho, what weve seen so far is great. ive met a few really nice people on here and we meet for coffee. if you fancy meetin for a coffee anytime, pm me. :)

Jo
x

rjs Aug 20th 2007 1:18 pm

Such a nice positive post,(even with the bite:eek:).Its so nice to hear how people are getting on (Hopefully no more run ins of the eight legged variety in the future:blink:)

mindblower Aug 21st 2007 12:09 pm

[QUOTE=bev;5204703]Hi all

Really pleased you are settling in.

Hoiping to be in Balvidis when house eventually sold here.

Dave:

ashr Mar 5th 2008 1:30 pm

[QUOTE=mindblower;5216532]

Originally Posted by bev (Post 5204703)
Hi all

Really pleased you are settling in.

Hoiping to be in Balvidis when house eventually sold here.

Dave:

hi sounds like you're generally enjoying yourself apart from the mishaps. did you visit before you moved out? we are thinking about it but are baffled by the amount of info good and bad. trying to decide which areas to head for

annkc Mar 5th 2008 4:14 pm

I really enjoyed your post. Like you, we have never been to OZ either :eek: May 20th can't come quick enough :thumbsup:
Its nice to see that your kids have settled in and are enjoying school. Sorry to hear about the bikes and the bite. hope your arm is on the mend!
We to are looking at warnbro / rockingham / secret harbour area's so any info would be great.
Good luck to you in the future

annkc

Nairn Mar 5th 2008 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by annkc (Post 6021354)
I really enjoyed your post. Like you, we have never been to OZ either :eek: May 20th can't come quick enough :thumbsup:
Its nice to see that your kids have settled in and are enjoying school. Sorry to hear about the bikes and the bite. hope your arm is on the mend!
We to are looking at warnbro / rockingham / secret harbour area's so any info would be great.
Good luck to you in the future

annkc

Hi,
We moved over From Arbroath on the 29/09/07 and are just loving it, We have bought a house in Port Kennedy please feel free to ask any ??.

Mike & Cheryl

this charming man Mar 5th 2008 11:18 pm

Get down to Betty Blues for a sexy brecky with fantastic views of Garden Island,its another world............... bonne chance.

lindseymcc Mar 6th 2008 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Nairn (Post 6023184)
Hi,
We moved over From Arbroath on the 29/09/07 and are just loving it, We have bought a house in Port Kennedy please feel free to ask any ??.

Mike & Cheryl

Hi there we are looking to move to Port kennedy soon from Gourock just wondered if u know if the schools are any good = have 2 kids 1 is 12 and the other 5. Thanks:lol:

mary1967 Mar 6th 2008 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by lindseymcc (Post 6026469)
Hi there we are looking to move to Port kennedy soon from Gourock just wondered if u know if the schools are any good = have 2 kids 1 is 12 and the other 5. Thanks:lol:

I have a friend who lives in Port Kennedy and two of her kids go to Warnbro High (sorry one now, the eldest has just started Uni), the other one goes to Safety bay because he's really good at soccer. She's really pleased with it, so that's where i'll be looking when we finally get there.

this charming man Mar 6th 2008 7:45 pm

football not soccer!:curse: