Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

7 months in, from Glasgow to the Gold Coast.

7 months in, from Glasgow to the Gold Coast.

Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:48 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light
Default 7 months in, from Glasgow to the Gold Coast.

A 30 something couples view.

My wife has always had ambitions of living abroad and a few years ago she liked the idea of moving to New Zealand,i was not that keen on the idea at the time so we remained in Glasgow.

A couple of Years later i heard that Australia were looking for new migrants and i asked her what she thought of moving there.She was all for it and we decided to apply.I initially thought i didnt have enough points for a subclass 136 visa as we looked at applying ourselves,we ended up using a Migration Agent as there was too much involved between the paperwork and my job,the agent cost more but it would get our application lodged quicker,it turned out i had enough points for the 136 visa,which was a bonus.

We told our families we were applying and it did not go down too well with some.My dad said they would come out if we go but had no desire to ever visit Oz in the past.
Both families supported our decision as they had all lived abroad before,i lived in Canada for a few years when my parents emigrated and my wifes family were in South Africa when she was a child too.

We went through all the usual emotions with the application,as everyone knows,the waiting at each stage seems unbearable!!! We were constantly waiting on the postman as the visa application result was expected.That was tough as we were desperate to hear if we were successful.
Then we got the phone call from the Agent telling us we were successful,that is one of the best feelings you can get and makes all the waiting worthwhile.

We researched as much as we could,having never been to Australia before and decided on Brisbane then Melbourne as our choices.Why return home if you dont like it,so we had a couple of places in mind to try if it didnt work out initially.Thats the beauty of a 136 visa,you can live anywhere you like.

The more we looked into Brisbane,the further down the coast we checked out and eventually decided that the Gold Coast would be ideal for us.

We drove our dog down to London 2 weeks before we flew as being a Pug,only 2 airlines would fly him.He had some problems on the flight so we decided to fly to Sydney and drive him back up to the Gold Coast with us.

We flew out of Glasgow on Feb 1st this year and stayed in Broadbeach for a few weeks,its a lovely place and the beach is fantastic.The restraunts are all very nice there too.
Its a strange feeling when you come over and dont know where to buy your shopping,furniture,car ect but after asking a few taxi drivers we soon came familiar with our area.The best thing was buying the car as we could then explore the surroundings easier.

We flew to Sydney for a weekend,where we were to pick up our dog from Quarantine, and hired a car back to the Gold Coast and drove up in about 10 hours,the drive was strange as we expected the motorway to have 3 lanes and not be 1 lane through small towns in parts,but overall it was an easy drive,especially as jetlag kicked in and we slept for 12 hours the night before the drive.
We then moved into a long term rental in Ashmore/Southport.We wanted to live there from the day we saw the place online but couldnt get in before we left the UK.We drove up by chance to see if anything came available and we managed to get a house that would accept pets as we have a dog.

We had decided on taking 6-8 weeks off and treat it as a holiday after all the stresses of applying and selling the house.We really enjoyed the time off then it was time to start working.
We drove around as my wife had a few interviews and after realising she was in demand we came across a shop in the Ashmore Plaza Shopping Center and we decided to set her up in her own business, Tips'n'Toes Nail Salon.
It turns out the standard of Nail Tech in the Gold Coast is poor so we were right to take a gamble and she has built up a great reputation.
Once we registered the business and had taken the lease,i decided to fit out her shop and get it ready for opening before looking for work.It was worthwhile and her business is doing really well,she is now thinking of hiring someone in the near future as the salon is fully booked most days and she's having to refuse people most days too.

We got the shop opened in April,then i set about looking for work.I had applied for some positions but i was choosy about what to apply for,after 3 weeks i had a job Supervising for a Contractor at Riviera where they build Sports Yachts.
Its a good job but the wages are nowher near what i earned in the UK,but i knew that would be the case before we came over.
Before we came out,we had a plan to get a business opened for my wife and a Supervisory role for myself and to live where we do and we managed to do all inside 4 months.

Ive suffered a bit of homesickness but it only lasted a weekend and its been hard on my wife a bit too as she misses 'girly' nights.
Overall we're still glad we came here and wouldnt change anything.

We have our 2nd set of visitors here who go home on Friday and thats tough to deal with as you feel that you wont see them again for another year at least.
My parents are next to arrive in November and so far everyone who has visited thinks we have done the right thing.

Theres no comparison between the UK and Gold Coast,the beaches are stunning,the lifestyle more relaxed and the weathers fantastic.We love going down to Main Beach Surf Club for Sunday Breakfast too,the view is always fantastic.
There is so much to do here and after 7 months theres still plenty of things we have not done yet but will get too eventually. lol.

I find the Aussies difficult to get on with,they dont have a similar sense of humour,though they are polite enough to deal with but most of them make little or no effort.There are exeptions though but overall the effort is one way.I find i get on better with the Kiwis,probably because they have come over too so they know what its like.
My wife on the other hand prefers the Australians to the Kiwis.

We have been lucky enough to meet a few people on here who we class as good friends but i wont name and shame you!

This is just our view of things,7 months in.

Brian and Julie
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 months in, from Glasgow to the Gold Coast.

Well done,

Its great that the new business is going so well, and you both had the guts to give it a go.

Glad all is going well.

GEMS
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

russell is an unknown quantity at this point

glad to here you have settled well we move to the gold coast on 23 oct but we are quite lucky our friends are emigrating with us so hopefully it will be a bit easier for us.
hopefully meet up and have a beer and watch

russ
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Brian and Julie,

Sounds as if you guys have settled into Aussie life really quickly and easily, very positive and encouraging!!!

We'r heading over end a Nov begining of Dec, house going on the market today!!!

Hubbie has a very important question for you.......

How easy is it to catch any Rangers games any any other fottie for that matter?!!!
Can you get Setanta or equivelent over there?

All very important as am sure you appreciate!!!! LOL

Cheers
Mandy
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Lovely update, wishing you continued good luck and happiness
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Oops just noticed ma spelling please excuse, just finished the night-shift!!!!

Mandy
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:37 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Great update
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

Hi Brido
Good to hear you have settled well, you helped us with the dreaded TRA last year, we are flying over to Perth at the end of October (took longer than expected to sell the house).
Good luck for the future and enjoy your visitors

sam
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Good honest update
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

wow great post sounds like things have really took off for you, great to hear your buissiness is doing great and that you have settled well, may you continue to enjoy the next 7 months,
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brido View Post

My wife has always had ambitions of living abroad and a few years ago she liked the idea of moving to New Zealand,i was not that keen on the idea at the time so we remained in Glasgow.

A couple of Years later i heard that Australia were looking for new migrants and i asked her what she thought of moving there.She was all for it and we decided to apply.I initially thought i didnt have enough points for a subclass 136 visa as we looked at applying ourselves,we ended up using a Migration Agent as there was too much involved between the paperwork and my job,the agent cost more but it would get our application lodged quicker,it turned out i had enough points for the 136 visa,which was a bonus.

We told our families we were applying and it did not go down too well with some.My dad said they would come out if we go but had no desire to ever visit Oz in the past.
Both families supported our decision as they had all lived abroad before,i lived in Canada for a few years when my parents emigrated and my wifes family were in South Africa when she was a child too.

We went through all the usual emotions with the application,as everyone knows,the waiting at each stage seems unbearable!!! We were constantly waiting on the postman as the visa application result was expected.That was tough as we were desperate to hear if we were successful.
Then we got the phone call from the Agent telling us we were successful,that is one of the best feelings you can get and makes all the waiting worthwhile.

We researched as much as we could,having never been to Australia before and decided on Brisbane then Melbourne as our choices.Why return home if you dont like it,so we had a couple of places in mind to try if it didnt work out initially.Thats the beauty of a 136 visa,you can live anywhere you like.

The more we looked into Brisbane,the further down the coast we checked out and eventually decided that the Gold Coast would be ideal for us.

We drove our dog down to London 2 weeks before we flew as being a Pug,only 2 airlines would fly him.He had some problems on the flight so we decided to fly to Sydney and drive him back up to the Gold Coast with us.

We flew out of Glasgow on Feb 1st this year and stayed in Broadbeach for a few weeks,its a lovely place and the beach is fantastic.The restraunts are all very nice there too.
Its a strange feeling when you come over and dont know where to buy your shopping,furniture,car ect but after asking a few taxi drivers we soon came familiar with our area.The best thing was buying the car as we could then explore the surroundings easier.

We flew to Sydney for a weekend,where we were to pick up our dog from Quarantine, and hired a car back to the Gold Coast and drove up in about 10 hours,the drive was strange as we expected the motorway to have 3 lanes and not be 1 lane through small towns in parts,but overall it was an easy drive,especially as jetlag kicked in and we slept for 12 hours the night before the drive.
We then moved into a long term rental in Ashmore/Southport.We wanted to live there from the day we saw the place online but couldnt get in before we left the UK.We drove up by chance to see if anything came available and we managed to get a house that would accept pets as we have a dog.

We had decided on taking 6-8 weeks off and treat it as a holiday after all the stresses of applying and selling the house.We really enjoyed the time off then it was time to start working.
We drove around as my wife had a few interviews and after realising she was in demand we came across a shop in the Ashmore Plaza Shopping Center and we decided to set her up in her own business, Tips'n'Toes Nail Salon.
It turns out the standard of Nail Tech in the Gold Coast is poor so we were right to take a gamble and she has built up a great reputation.
Once we registered the business and had taken the lease,i decided to fit out her shop and get it ready for opening before looking for work.It was worthwhile and her business is doing really well,she is now thinking of hiring someone in the near future as the salon is fully booked most days and she's having to refuse people most days too.

We got the shop opened in April,then i set about looking for work.I had applied for some positions but i was choosy about what to apply for,after 3 weeks i had a job Supervising for a Contractor at Riviera where they build Sports Yachts.
Its a good job but the wages are nowher near what i earned in the UK,but i knew that would be the case before we came over.
Before we came out,we had a plan to get a business opened for my wife and a Supervisory role for myself and to live where we do and we managed to do all inside 4 months.

Ive suffered a bit of homesickness but it only lasted a weekend and its been hard on my wife a bit too as she misses 'girly' nights.

We have our 2nd set of visitors here who go home on Friday and thats tough to deal with as you feel that you wont see them again for another year at least.
My parents are next to arrive in November and so far everyone who has visited thinks we have done the right thing.

Theres no comparison between the UK and Gold Coast,the beaches are stunning,the lifestyle more relaxed and the weathers fantastic.We love going down to Main Beach Surf Club for Sunday Breakfast too,the view is always fantastic.
There is so much to do here and after 7 months theres still plenty of things we have not done yet but will get too eventually. lol.

I find the Aussies difficult to get on with,they dont have a similar sense of humour,though they are polite enough to deal with but most of them make little or no effort.There are exeptions though but overall the effort is one way.I find i get on better with the Kiwis,probably because they have come over too so they know what its like.

We have been lucky enough to meet a few people on here who we class as good friends but i wont name and shame you!

Brian and Julie
Great update you two - glad life is treating you well. Michelle x
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all

great post,were heading your way in Jan 08,we too are first arriving in Broadbeach, goodluck and i will pop in and make an appointment when we arrive !
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brido View Post

Brian and Julie
brian and julie
thanks for a great update..we are heading from glasgow to brissy as soon as we get visa...
Good luck with your new business
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

sharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the rough

Great post Brido,

Congrats to julie for her success.

We also liked southport area when we visited in may cant wait to get there for good.

Hope to see you again soon on the other side.( we met in outback glasgow)

Sharon and Ricky xx
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good update. We hope to see you there soon.

Mandy

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.