Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

7 DAYS IN BRISBANE SO FAR

7 DAYS IN BRISBANE SO FAR

Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

kevpam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 7 DAYS IN BRISBANE SO FAR

We are originally form South Africa.Lived in the UK for the last 12 years and now have moved to Brisbane

We have bought a 4x4 double cab ute and are looking for a place to rent in Coomera Waters as we had bought land there to build a house .A few point so far

1 Fuel is expensive if you are earning dollars and not pounds Dont buy a fuel guzzler for your first car like our friends did which we used for the first 4 days cause you will be driving around alot when you first get here

2 Shop around online for car insurance is vearys alot RACQ is quite good

3 food is expensive dont let any one tell you different if you have kids in nappies be prepared I have a 2.5year girl and 24 nappies cost around $25

4 the food is very good quality BUT there is no selection like Tesscos and dont even go near organic ,organic bread around $8

5 80% of drivers here are bad in the 7 days we have been here we have see 12 major accdents on the pacific highway under taking is just ridiculous they go from the fast lane to the slow lane back to the fast

6 get you bank accounts done as soon as you arrive

7 get you medi care car as soon as you arrive

8 get a Tax File Number do the paper work on line

9 claim child benefits can do it on line Center Link it takes a long time and you can only complete it once you have TFN

10 If you are planing to rent try and have a firts job renting is done difrently here you will fid out

11 if no job bring old mortgage statements letters from banks old land lords letters etc

12 get a phone prepaid $69 OPTUS is good and if you have a laptop get wireless OPTUS again is good it was $129 to get you up and running on broard band

13 WOW sight and sound is a good place bought a sat nav today for $169 it is simple but very easy to use

14 If you have kids and you dont want to go to the beach the is a man made place in south bank wich is good BUT take your own food and parking is expensive

Hope this helps
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 DAYS IN BRISBANE SO FAR

Originally Posted by kevpam
We have bought a 4x4 double cab ute

1 Fuel is expensive if you are earning dollars and not pounds Dont buy a fuel guzzler for your first car :
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevpam
We are originally form South Africa.Lived in the UK for the last 12 years and now have moved to Brisbane

We have bought a 4x4 double cab ute and are looking for a place to rent in Coomera Waters as we had bought land there to build a house .A few point so far

1 Fuel is expensive if you are earning dollars and not pounds Dont buy a fuel guzzler for your first car like our friends did which we used for the first 4 days cause you will be driving around alot when you first get here

2 Shop around online for car insurance is vearys alot RACQ is quite good

3 food is expensive dont let any one tell you different if you have kids in nappies be prepared I have a 2.5year girl and 24 nappies cost around $25

4 the food is very good quality BUT there is no selection like Tesscos and dont even go near organic ,organic bread around $8

5 80% of drivers here are bad in the 7 days we have been here we have see 12 major accdents on the pacific highway under taking is just ridiculous they go from the fast lane to the slow lane back to the fast

6 get you bank accounts done as soon as you arrive

7 get you medi care car as soon as you arrive

8 get a Tax File Number do the paper work on line

9 claim child benefits can do it on line Center Link it takes a long time and you can only complete it once you have TFN

10 If you are planing to rent try and have a firts job renting is done difrently here you will fid out

11 if no job bring old mortgage statements letters from banks old land lords letters etc

12 get a phone prepaid $69 OPTUS is good and if you have a laptop get wireless OPTUS again is good it was $129 to get you up and running on broard band

13 WOW sight and sound is a good place bought a sat nav today for $169 it is simple but very easy to use

14 If you have kids and you dont want to go to the beach the is a man made place in south bank wich is good BUT take your own food and parking is expensive

Hope this helps
Welcome. Good post. Just some tips that you may or may not know:

- A lot of people here do not buy all their food in one place - they use small fruit and vege shops, fruit and vege markets, independent butchers etc. More work but keeps the costs down. eg. organic bread way cheaper than $8 that way. Some things you can't avoid though like nappies unless you wait for specials and stock up like a lot do or head to Aldi.

- As you might know there is no such law/concept as undertaking in Australia most people have not even heard of the word - always look left!!!!

- Southbank parking is expensive on business days to stop commuters using it. Weekends not so bad - $15 for 4 hours - free if your family spend $30 or more at selected restaurants. Or totally free if you are willing to walk two blocks from surrounding streets.

- wow!!!! 12 major accidents in 7 days - I have never seen even one in decades...I'm never driving near you
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fish.01
- wow!!!! 12 major accidents in 7 days - I have never seen even one in decades...I'm never driving near you
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

Been here for 3 weeks now, and have seen multiple car accidents. Quite a shocker to see how bad the driving is. We have found food to be quite reasonable, and the quality very good. Although we are still waiting for our goods to be released from customs so haven't done a proper food shop yet, as we have no fridge so are living day to day.
Petrol we found was actually very good, and haven't dreaded filling the car.
Good luck and hope you settle quickly, we are still stressed out, and are hoping for the same.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maund family
Been here for 3 weeks now, and have seen multiple car accidents. Quite a shocker to see how bad the driving is. We have found food to be quite reasonable, and the quality very good. Although we are still waiting for our goods to be released from customs so haven't done a proper food shop yet, as we have no fridge so are living day to day.
Petrol we found was actually very good, and haven't dreaded filling the car.
Good luck and hope you settle quickly, we are still stressed out, and are hoping for the same.
I see little peak hour dust ups quite often but have never seen a major smash (unless you count driving past way after the fact). I assume the absence of an undertaking rule like you are used to must be disconcerting as well for a while (assuming you're from the uk).
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Lol Aussie driving

I just love the way they just seem to get in the car and point it where they want to go and not worry about anyone else. If on the motorway they drive up on your bumper and its pull in the left lane or they will drive over you. Roundabouts are my favorite its like they wait till they can see your eyes then pull out. But have to say it sure is fun. As i say kill or be killed

Paddy
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Lol Aussie driving

I just love the way they just seem to get in the car and point it where they want to go and not worry about anyone else. If on the motorway they drive up on your bumper and its pull in the left lane or they will drive over you. Roundabouts are my favorite its like they wait till they can see your eyes then pull out. But have to say it sure is fun. As i say kill or be killed

Paddy
If you were not overtaking you shouldn't have been in that lane
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

lynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nice

Great update, we have just come back from a recci in July. We thought Coomera Waters was lovely. Please let us know what agent you use if you find a rental there.Good luck, Lynn:
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fish.01
If you were not overtaking you shouldn't have been in that lane
I put my hand out for that slap

Paddy
Old Aug 29th 2009, 5:06 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
I put my hand out for that slap

Paddy
Yer Irish,you'd put yer hand out for anything,as long as it was free
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
To true Bernie you got any freebies going? I can hold out both hands if you want

Paddy
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bernieboy

Old Sep 11th 2009, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Location: Montreal but soon-26th Sept- Brisbane...June '10 been here since Sept..
Anthea is an unknown quantity at this point

Im coming to Brisbane in 2 weeks and I'm not sure if these posts are encouraging or frightening!!!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

kevpam is an unknown quantity at this point

All depends if you have kids or not and if you have a job to come to .It is even more expencive with the exchange rate the way it is.Getting a rental is fustrating things are not done quickly .They like to do groupe bookings so you could wait 5 days to see a house were 5 diffrent people go and view the house at the same time .Then you all put your applications in and then the owner decides who gets the house

If you are rentting in the UK get a letter from your landlord saying you are a good tenat If you have sold your house get a letter from your lawyer saying you left the house in good order and bring your old mortgage statments

If you some were to stay when you get here that will be helpfull

Come with as much money as possible it all helps

I would not give this up for any thing.You wake up in the morning and the sun is shinning and the kids are outside playing in the pool .It is not about the money for me it is about my KIDS:thumb sup:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.