6wks in Newcastle NSW

Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice
Default 6wks in Newcastle NSW

I just thought I'd do an update so I can keep track of what I've done in the last 6wks...

For those of you who don't know (the vast majority!) I'm a mining engineering student on a year out from my degree, working in Newcastle for a mining equipment supplier (a big-un). This means everything is paid for, my rent, bills, phone, laptop all are provided and they even pay my cab fare to work! I have no experience of the financial harships of emigrating (plenty of experience in financial hardship in the UK tho!) but definitely well up there on the emotional front.

Apart from the really good friends I've made at uni I also left behind a very special lady who was meant to just be another gf but turned into something more just before I left for Oz. My parents are in the middle of a very messy divorce atm and I can't help feeling that I should be in the UK to help my Mum and support her as she's having a very rough time. Apart from this I'm struggling to make any decent friends out here but as you'll read I'm sure it'll get better...

I arrived in Brisbane on 1st September with two other guys and we had a pretty laid back 10days spent in corporate inductions, OH&S training and getting a whole load of paperwork done. We explored the city a little but were mostly too jetlagged to do too much except meet up with 3 other students off our course who just did 3 months at Mt Isa

On the 10th I said goodbye to them and flew down to Newcastle where I was met by my boss's PA and shown around town before being taken to the "executive villa" I was to live in while looking for a rental. Went to work the next day and it was an experience...my boss didn't really know what to do so I got put in an office out back and pretty much left to my own devices. Being an international company they have rules and paperwork for everything! After spending 2.5wks waiting for an IT logon, a phone, uniform etc and browsing the internet I was moved to my current office where I'm doing 3D design work and much happier

I got fed up of the "villa" pretty quickly as it was noisy, miles from the CBD and the staff were plain rude ( i won't even start on the cockroaches and faulty air-con) so got onto the search for a rental pretty quickly, in fact I found and viewed the place I wanted within a week! The company hadn't found me a place given nearly 6 months and I found one in a week.... Then came a daily battle with a woman in accounts to get payment methods etc sorted... 3wks later I moved in! That was wednesday and I love it! Right in the CBD, 2min walk from supermarkets, takeaways, tatto shops, pubs and several strip clubs/knocking shops

So basically after 6wks I'm ensconced in a great apartment where I want to be, have started to make friends at work, have no real friends to speak of, have no social life to speak of, miss home and people like crazy but am completely loving Oz! I have disposable income for the first time in nearly 3yrs (not much but enough), I don't have to worry about bills etc as they're taken care of and have spent as much of my free time as possible chilling out on the beach and wandering around like a tourist.

Plan for the next 6wks:

- Get motorbike license/motorbike
- Go camping with peeps from work
- Have a housewarming/22nd birthday party
- Meet people, especially women!

Hope I haven't bored any of you to death
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Homebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant future
Smile Re: 6wks in Newcastle NSW

Keep us informed, great post definately not boring! Best of luck and enjoy yourself x
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:32 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6wks in Newcastle NSW

Good on ya Mr Quiet One - I knew it would get better! Now that didnt take long did it?
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Great attitude. Enjoy the ride.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great update & stay positive, all will be good
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

You're a jammy bugger. I'd say good luck but I dont think you'll need it. Bring the good lady out and thats you made.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Cheers for the comments, I must have been in a bloody good mood when I wrote that!

Spent the last 4 days doing underground escape and CABA training which was pretty cool but got back to the office today and it's all gone pear shaped again!

Been given my own desk and computer which refuses to work so using someone elses computer which doesnt work either! I've been having real difficulty sleeping ever since I arrived, I'll get about 3-5 hrs broken sleep for 3-4 nights then crash out the next day and sleep 12hrs before starting again with the broken sleep, it's bloody hard to be positive when you're shattered all the time. Still not met anyone outside of work but I've got the weekend to sort that out...

Booked my motorbike training for 4/5th November which is exciting but having a hard time with the loneliness aspect atm. The hours and hours everyday on my own are making me think too much and as the lovely lady back home is getting an awful lot of interest from guys (some reciprocated) my thoughts are black to say the least!

My new plan is to join a gym ASAP and maybe join the work indoor cricket team just so I don't spend so much time mooching around on my own...