British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   6 Years today (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/6-years-today-776511/)

ub40fan Nov 3rd 2012 8:37 am

6 Years today

So, as the title says 6 years ago today we landed into 34 degree heat too start the next chapter of our lives down here in Perth.

When we arrived we had one child in Primary and 2 in Senior school education - now one is in full time uni and full time work, the second has an ACS scholarship so is half and half work and TAFE, both boys are in IT.
Child number 3 (girl) has just completed year 12 and is planning on going to TAFE to do fashion design

Both boys are driving (off their P's), have moved out of home (one is sharing with a friend and one moved in with his girlfriend) and come to visit every Sunday with their girlfriends for dinner.

We have adopted a nephew (not literally - his parent's will be out at the beginning of next year and will claim him back) He is also working full time in the IT sector.

We had a bit of a shock at the 2 year point when Steve was made redundant - it was almost 9 months before he got work - we got through and now things are good in that department. He is an IT Secutiry consultant.

I am on my second/third job - first was nights at the West Australian,dirty crappy well paid job. Then I took a part time reception/admin job, which I tried to leave 3 times, but each time they offered me a better deal so I stayed. In September the business split into 2 and now I am the practice/administration manager for one ot the partners (I also gained my Cert IV in Bookkeeping so I do the bookkeeping too).

Steve and I have also joined the SES, and are now the Training Manager and Local Deputy Manager respectively for the unit we are in. It means some weekend courses, some night call outs - but we do enjoy doing it.

We have met some great friends while being here, from all walks of life,and all parts of the globe.

Last weekend we went to Melbourne for the Moto GP at Philip Island with family and friends, and had an absolute ball.

You get out of life what you put into it,and we are getting loads out of it just now. I love it here and can't see me going anywhere else anytime soon.

There are things that annoy me about living here, but there have been things that have annoyed me whereever we have lived in the world before now too (England,Scotland,Ireland,Hong Kong, Germany) no where is perfect, but I am capable of getting over small annoyances and focussing on the better things in my life.

Shirley

carolinephillips Nov 3rd 2012 8:23 pm

Re: 6 Years today

Nice update- glad things are going well for you and your kids. Time flies as they grow up- Dd is just about to go into Y12. when we came she was 12, and still very much a little girl!

Nicky & Dave Nov 22nd 2012 3:48 am

Re: 6 Years today

Hi Shirley,

Just wanted to say hi and congrats! It seems a lifetime ago when we were on the 139er's thread, all waiting to hear about our visa!

We are also coming up to our six year mark on 2/3rd Dec - can't actually remember what date we landed! It's never been much of a reason for celebration for me, as I have battled with terrible homesickness - but I've stuck it out obviously! It's only really over the past year that I have finally accepted my situation, and I have felt more settled with our life here.

I'm glad to hear that the move has worked out for you and your family - makes you realise how quickly the years' fly past to think it's six years!

Nicky