6 years in Adelaide

Old Oct 20th 2015, 11:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up 6 years in Adelaide

Here we go again...!

Old Oct 20th 2015, 10:33 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 6 years in Adelaide

So, what can I tell you about this year?

I finished studying and I'm now looking for work. Las Friday I was interviewed for the position of Purchasing Officer at Ed Harry, and I'll hear back from them tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed...

Our 8 year old Stiebel Eltron heat pump died and we replaced it with an instant gas system, which cost us $1,350 for supply and fit.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 20th 2015 at 11:04 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 10:41 pm
Fighting my corner

Some DIY...

The living room used to have pelmets and pleated curtains. I replaced them with rods and eye socket curtains.

Old Oct 20th 2015, 10:45 pm
Fighting my corner

One of the water pipes in the bathroom sink exploded, so I replaced it.

I guess you can't expect much from a brand called 'Easy Hooker.'

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 20th 2015 at 11:04 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 10:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Our faithful Miele W830 started chucking wobblies. I diagnosed a faulty solenoid valve and phoned a local plumber, who quoted $350 for supply and fit.

Local aftermarket suppliers were charging $200 just for the valve, so I bought one off eBay for $50 and fitted it myself.

The original Miele valve had lasted for ~15 years (vorsprung durch technik!) This one is just a copy, but I'll consider my money well spent it if gives us at least 5 more years of happy washing.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 11:03 pm
Fighting my corner

I eventually got around to tackling the kitchen splashback, which was badly water damaged, with cracks and gaps between the laminex and tiles. Mould was a constant problem, and water leaked into the cupboards below.

I began my repair by lining the edge of the splashback with some primed wood trimming.

After glueing and nailing the trim into place I covered it with a waterproof grout bonding agent.

Next came the grout, followed by four coats of white semi-gloss stain resistant sealer/binder and two coats of grout sealer.

The result is far from perfect, but a vast improvement on the previous mess. It will keep us going until we can get around to installing a new benchtop and sink.

Old Oct 20th 2015, 11:13 pm
Fighting my corner

I kept a pelmet from the living room and transferred it to the lounge, where we were missing one.

Old Oct 20th 2015, 11:29 pm
Fighting my corner

The window seat was looking tired. I decided to do something about that.

A previous owner had installed a stereo system in the window seat, including two large speaker boxes. When he sold the house he left them behind. They remained unused and largely unnoticed until we bought the house in 2007.

This was a DIY assembly by someone who knew what he was doing. Closer scrutiny revealed that the speakers were made in 1973 by an Australian company called Plessey. They still work perfectly.

In the late 70s Plessey was purchased by an Australian company called Lorantz. When I provided Lorantz with the model number they told me that the speakers have a resistance of 8 ohms with a power rating of 30-50W. This was helpful information.

Sony DAV-DZ231, still going strong after 7 years.

^^ Check out that awesome shag pile!

Bluetooth receiver to stream music through the stereo from phones & tablets.

Old Oct 20th 2015, 11:32 pm
Fighting my corner

The original speaker grilles were hideous.

I recovered them with new speaker fabric from eBay.

Time to paint the front panel.

Primer, followed by interior low sheen, followed by glossy enamel. Don't ask me how many coats of each, I lost count...

The panel is held in place by a set of rare earth magnets. They're strong enough to stop our kids from opening it by mistake.

I added an IR extender so we can control the stereo without opening the window seat. You can see it on the far left hand side of this photo (look for the red light).

Old Oct 20th 2015, 11:37 pm
Fighting my corner

The mirror on the mantlepiece scored a facelift as well. It's just an old piece of tat from the 1970s, but a few coats of white enamel worked wonders.

Old Oct 20th 2015, 11:41 pm
Fighting my corner

The garden has fared well. Our reliable grapevine did its usual thing, and the leaves looked fantastic in autumn.

I think that's all for now. It's been an interesting year. Here's hoping the next one is even better.

Old Oct 22nd 2015, 12:32 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 years in Adelaide

I love your stereo bench! My mum bought a house a few years ago in NSW and the bedroom has a built in bedhead that matches the carpet (that goes a foot up the walls) that has the most superb 70s radio/ stereo with speakers. They planned to rip it out but it's been a few years now and I think it's going to stay. They could do with your DIY skills to spruce it up. Nicely done.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 12:45 am
Fighting my corner

Thanks BB, we like it! I have some photos of the kids as well:

Originally Posted by knip
Can we have a numpty bub update or is that someone else who buggered off down under?

Old Oct 22nd 2015, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Been very busy. Good work.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 5:16 am
Fighting my corner

Cheers mate. I have some plans for an extension next year, will see what the Minister for War & Finance says about that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.