British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   6 week update in Brisbane. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/6-week-update-brisbane-457013/)

Donna&Neil Jun 9th 2007 10:27 am

6 week update in Brisbane.

Hi guys, well 6 weeks in and we have been really busy. Our first 2 weeks we spent in central Brisbane (Spring Hill). Felt this would be easier to get all admin and house hunting done. TFN, Medicare, Driving Licence all fairly simple once we figured out how and where. Did think we were going to have a problem with a rental. Were frequently being told they were in short supply and when we mentioned dog well the list diminished greatly, however we did find a lovely house in Banyo, north of the river (as this is where we will be working) and only 8k from the hospital.
We then spent our next 2 weeks in Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast. Just lovely, gorgeous views from our hotel room of the ocean/beach. Was good to relax and chill after the bustle of the city.

We moved into our rental on the Friday 25th May and are still waiting on our furniture from the UK. It is in fact here in Banyo (Crown's Brisbane Depot)but still has to be checked by customs, hopefully it will be delivered in the next 10 days.

Indie (our dog) came out of quarantine on 2nd June and we were so glad to see him. He is just settling into Australian life fine, sleeping at my feet as I type.

We are due to start work on the 2nd July, visited the hospital and found everyone friendly and laid back, a good sign for our future work.

So as it stands so far it has been hugely positive. Everybody has been so friendly and helpful, nothing seems to much bother and life feels good.

Will keep you all posted.

Donna & Neil:thumbsup:
</IMG>

curly Jun 9th 2007 5:06 pm

Re: 6 week update in Brisbane.

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil (Post 4892832)
Hi guys, well 6 weeks in and we have been really busy. Our first 2 weeks we spent in central Brisbane (Spring Hill). Felt this would be easier to get all admin and house hunting done. TFN, Medicare, Driving Licence all fairly simple once we figured out how and where. Did think we were going to have a problem with a rental. Were frequently being told they were in short supply and when we mentioned dog well the list diminished greatly, however we did find a lovely house in Banyo, north of the river (as this is where we will be working) and only 8k from the hospital.
We then spent our next 2 weeks in Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast. Just lovely, gorgeous views from our hotel room of the ocean/beach. Was good to relax and chill after the bustle of the city.

We moved into our rental on the Friday 25th May and are still waiting on our furniture from the UK. It is in fact here in Banyo (Crown's Brisbane Depot)but still has to be checked by customs, hopefully it will be delivered in the next 10 days.

Indie (our dog) came out of quarantine on 2nd June and we were so glad to see him. He is just settling into Australian life fine, sleeping at my feet as I type.

We are due to start work on the 2nd July, visited the hospital and found everyone friendly and laid back, a good sign for our future work.

So as it stands so far it has been hugely positive. Everybody has been so friendly and helpful, nothing seems to much bother and life feels good.

</IMG>

Hiya, great to hear it's all falling into place for you :D

Sounds as if you're having a great time so far :)

tracey.d Jun 9th 2007 9:45 pm

</IMG>

Good to hear you are getting settled and that Indies arrived safe and well. Cool name by the way (the same as one of ours:thumbup)

What hospital are you working in?

Look forward to further updates

Donna&Neil Jun 9th 2007 11:45 pm

Hi Tracey, we both have jobs a the Royal Brisbane & Womens Hospital (Mental Health Directorate) Neil is staying in substances misuse and I am working in General Psych.

Donna & Neil :thumbup:

Jockstar Jun 10th 2007 1:09 am

Glad to hear everything is working out for you. The time will fly past and before you know it you will have been here 6 months.:thumbup:

keithandsam Jun 10th 2007 4:23 am

hi
glad you are all ok,especially your little doggie,we had to leave ours behind,but anyway,hope life continues to be good for you,it`s all a bit of a whirlwind for a while,but it will all settle down
best wishes

</IMG>

Scotschick Jun 10th 2007 6:03 am

Hi Guys

Great post. Everything sure is falling into place. Hope to see you guys on the 1st.

Jacquix

herrchook Jun 10th 2007 8:33 pm

Guys, it's fantastic to hear you're getting on so well. Long may it continue:thumbsup:

Issie Jun 11th 2007 10:10 am

</IMG>

You sound so chilled and loving life...good for you:thumbup:

the4ofus Jun 11th 2007 10:53 am

Thanks for posting an update, i do love to read them to see how well everyone is getting on. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time so far. Good luck with your new jobs and enjoy the rest of your time off :thumbup:

Lynn xx

sharon45 Jun 13th 2007 1:33 am

Hi Donna and Neil,
Great to meet you both for lunch last week in the Westfield Chermside it was great to chat about your experiences so far . We had a drive around the area again the next day and like what we saw both jordan and ricky agreed that this would be an ideal place to start.

well we are now sitting in dubai waiting on the last plane home Glasgow here we come!!!!!
We have had a fantastic time on our Recci sand have been writing a diary in word which once i get over the jet lag i will post here.

Our last few days were spent with friends in singapore what a place we will definately go back on the way out again. they have a great life there . we spend time on sentosa island sunbathing and drinking in the Cafe del mar . The only sunbathing done onthis 4 week holiday it was good to chill for a few days as Oz was a bit hectic trying to find out all we could in a short time.

We will keep in touch and good luck on your first dayat work and will be thinking of you re luke as as were in the same boat with cheryl

we have another few hours here to kill and again I miss that bloody credit card.!!!!

speak soon :)

Sharon Ricky and Jordan

P.S he got lost again that night in the mall. panic!!!

sophjam Jun 13th 2007 6:42 am

Hi Donna and Neil, it sounds as though you have made a good start to your new life in oz we are heading to cairns and hoping to take our two dogs with us if you have any advice with regard to this i would be very grateful, thanks trudi:)

paulhill Jun 13th 2007 6:47 am

</IMG>

Sounds like you are settling in well and hope you carry on enjoying it.

All the best

Sue

gordon&laura Jun 13th 2007 7:28 am

Originally Posted by paulhill (Post 4907333)
Sounds like you are settling in well and hope you carry on enjoying it.

All the best

Sue

Hi Donna and Neil

Glad to see everything is still going great with you guys. Sounds like you are settling in just fine!

Long may it continue!

Luv

Laura and Gordon

TeresaG Jun 13th 2007 1:05 pm

Great to hear that everything is going really well.