Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

6 months update from a ping pong pom

6 months update from a ping pong pom

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:25 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 6 months update from a ping pong pom

Originally Posted by Teabag
where is your house and how much you asking for it ???
We are in North Hampshire, between Newbury, Reading and Basingstoke. At present we do not have a price as we are getting more agents in today. We have a 3 bed semi with 120' garden, a garage, drive big enough for 2 cars and we are in a wooded close.

Just hope we can sell it quick as we need to be out of here and in Oz by end of May. Fingers crossed..
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kernow1
We are in North Hampshire, between Newbury, Reading and Basingstoke. At present we do not have a price as we are getting more agents in today. We have a 3 bed semi with 120' garden, a garage, drive big enough for 2 cars and we are in a wooded close.

Just hope we can sell it quick as we need to be out of here and in Oz by end of May. Fingers crossed..
let me know when you get a price please? Sure you don't want to move to Perth?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:33 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

Teabag

The property has been valued at £260k.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

thanks for that. Bit too steep for us
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
Hi All

Just thought I would post an update on our second time around move to Oz. We are Ping Pong Poms, lived in Holland in the early 90's and ping ponged from there regular, then moved to Oz and did exactly the same. Never being able to settle.

The first time we came here was Jan 1997, there was just me and OH. I was very homesick and never settled here, I hated Oz and everything about it, there was never anyone thing that made me feel like that I just had this overwhelming feeling of not wanting to be here. We decided to leave and return back to the UK in 2000, this time it was me, OH and three new born babies (triplets). Arrived back in UK and I swore I would never return back to Oz, we settled in Staffordshire and was relatively happy for the next 6 years. Boys grew up and life was good, then last February 2006 I came home from work and said to OH we should go back to Oz, do not know to this day why I said it, OH didnt think I meant it as the subject never arose in all time we had been back in UK. Anyway it took us until August 2006 to get everything sorted and we flew out on 1st September.

We arrived in Brisbane and stayed with family in Jimboomba, they have a house and a granny flat on 7 acres. The boys loved to see the kangaroos at the back door as well as the lizards, parotts and green tree frogs everywhere. I got work within two weeks and we settled back in to Oz life. We stayed with Family until January and moved down to the Gold Coast. Boys have settled into school and I work 10 mins away from home. We go to the beach nearly every night or we go walking down the local park area. On Fridays we go fishing at Tallebugera Creek, then we have fish and chips on Burleigh Head beach front. Its like we have never been away.

I do not feel those strong feelings of home sickness I had the first time around, I feel happier and contented second time around. I miss my Mum and Dad and wish I could "Pop home" to see them, but I can't. I have not whinged and moaned about Oz as I did last time, I really do feel happy. I sit down sometimes and wonder what it is that is different, maybe its my Sons, who knows. I am just glad we came back.

Maybe its early days yet, but last time around I was ready to go home as the plane touched down, well maybe even as it left Heathrow!!

For me I think my days of Ping Ponging are over, I am pleased as not only is it emotionaly draining, its a bloody expensive hobby.

E
We went to NZ in 2001 with a 5 week old, 4 and 6 year old, among other things I firmly beleive being over there for the first time with a newborn(let alone 3) had something to do with settling!
We are now ping ponging outside the lines to OZ with 5 children, youngest will be somewhere around a year plus(down to how fast we sell the house) and I firmly beleiive it will work this time.
Great thread and well done in making it work, so positive!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by farrierswife
We went to NZ in 2001 with a 5 week old, 4 and 6 year old, among other things I firmly beleive being over there for the first time with a newborn(let alone 3) had something to do with settling!
We are now ping ponging outside the lines to OZ with 5 children, youngest will be somewhere around a year plus(down to how fast we sell the house) and I firmly beleiive it will work this time.
Great thread and well done in making it work, so positive!
Great thread. You sound so positve and happy. Glad its working out for you.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:08 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think it's been quite mild this summer. It's only really humid in late Jan and Feb. we have aircon in a couple of rooms in the house but have never used it. Just have the windows and doors open with screens shut - get a good breeze through.

Hubby never has the aircon on in his car. I do but only on the lowest setting unless the girls are with me but never more than half. We arrived from the UK in late november 05 and didn't have a problem. We love it but everyone is different and there are many people who think they love it (based on a two week holiday to Spain ) who turn out to hate it and move south.
I am not a Sun worshiper, when we have been on holiday abroad I have stayed out of the Sun, but when you live in it some how it is different. I do not like the air-con it gives me headaches, I love the breezes coming across the valley. At night I have all the windows open, I can hear the frogs and the sound of cockies flying into the fly screens, yuk. At work I do not have air-con but if I do get to hot can walk through in to the main shop for the cool air. But I am not worried by the heat, which I am surpised by.

We are very careful about going in the heat of the mid-day Sun especaily with kids but we go down to Burleigh beach for a swim and cool down after school.

I do not need the knotted hanky on my head which is a relief