British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   6 months in Perth - where has the time gone! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/6-months-perth-where-has-time-gone-447139/)

ub40fan May 3rd 2007 2:19 pm

6 months in Perth - where has the time gone!

Well, I can't believe it, I have been here for 6 months.

We landed mid afternoon on the 3rd Nov 2006. All dressed in our warm gear we walked out of Perth airport to bright sunshine and 32 degrees of heat.

We stayed with rellies for the first 3 months and to be honest it was absolutely great. There was enough room for us all, and my sil really helped point us in the right directions for all sorts.

We got the kids in school pretty quick (within a week), apart from the eldest as he was going into year 12 and year 11 had already finished, so instead he went and got himself a full time job in a local cafe/restaurant.

We did TFN's online, sorted out the bank account, got mobiles arranged. Steve only had a week and had interviews almost every day. He had a job offer by the time he flew back to UK.

Once he had gone I did the Medicare stuff for me & the kids, got a WA licence, bought a car, got a casual job working occasional night, did all the christmas shopping, and got into a routine of daily stuff.

I also started looking at rentals, but they were either wanting a long term (up to 2 years), not nice enough to consider living in (really really yuckky) or not available anymore.

Meanwhile back in UK, Steve handed in his notice, arranged all the shipping, cancelling services, sold the car and tidied up the few loose ends we had left to do, and then set about arranging his flight back.

He then got a better job offer from his company in UK, who have an office here in Perth. Although his boss is over in Sydney he works out of an office here. Why couldn't they do that 6 months before when he told them he was looking at moving here and had they any positions available!!

Anyway, Steve was back for Christmas and had a couple of weeks off before he started work. That was nice, but it would have been nicer if the kids had gone back to school when he went to work. The Christmas school holidays seem to go on forever - I know they don't, but 7 kids together in a house for 7 weeks and even the most patient of people would want to kill them and eat them :D

The kids have all settled well, even the 16 year old, at least we think he has - his grunts seem happier!

The shipping left the uk on the 8th Dec (I think) and arrived on the 4th Jan (?) We used Doree Bonner who were absolutely fantastic in UK, they let Steve change the dates by bringing it forward a week. Our stuff cleared customs without a problem, and as we weren't ready for it Grace kindly stored it for us, for a small charge ($35 a week I think - it wasn't a lot anyway).

We finally got a buyer for the house, the buyer agreed to complete within 6 weeks so we looked for a short term rental. By some stroke of luck we found one, no mean feat in Perth I can tell you, we applied for it and were lucky enough to get it. A nice 4 x 2 in Sorrento, with a pool and views of the ocean from the bedrooms. When everything was delivered and unpacked there had only been 2 breakeages - one plate (that I had packed :o ) and cheap vase I bought in Hong Kong 10 years before - so no great loss. We had a full 20' container so we were pretty pleased with the condition of everything.

Steve had sold his motorbike in UK and had believed he would never own another Triumph. WRONG! He found a lovely (:unsure: ) Triumph Legend that he is now the proud owner of. So apart from rainy days when I have to take him to the station that is how he gets into the city for work. He loves to ride back on West Coast Drive on a Friday night, he says you can't beat it.

The buyer for our UK house turned out to be a prat (putting it mildly) so that fell through, but we got another buyer and this appears to be going through ok. We have put an offer in on a house, which has been accepted subjected to the sale on the house in uk going through.

I suppose we were lucky in that Steve had a job guaranteed before he arrived, we have family here that we get on really well with and they helped us sort a lot of stuff out.

Since we have been here my dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer, and has had an operation for it, he starts chemo next week hopefully. He also had his 75th birthday, and my niece has had a baby girl, her first. These things I would have liked to be there for, but before we moved here Steve was in the army for 22 years (me for 6) and we moved around a lot, so I have long since accepted that there will be things we miss, and things that they will miss that we do.

We came here for a few reasons, one being that we want to give our kids a better life, already I think they have that. My daughter (11) is still a child, we find there is less pressure on them here to grow up quickly, less pressure on material things and she has a lot more friends too. My sons have both found friends with similar interests and have a better social life than I do :D

While I admit emigration is not for everyone, and judging by the amount of hate/love posts it gets neither is Perth, at the moment it is for us. We are happy here.

Shirley x

(sorry I think this is longer than I thought)

Pants May 3rd 2007 3:05 pm

Re: 6 months in Perth - where has the time gone!

hello sweetie

I am soooooooooooo happy for you all. I knew you would enjoy life out there. SorryI haven't replied to your email. My little man takes up alot of my time as I am sure you can imagine. I often think of you Shirley and I am so chuffed for you. Long may it continue..

Love n hugs

P xxx:thumbsup:

the4ofus May 3rd 2007 3:12 pm

WOW! You certainly sound like you have settled well. You were fortunate to have family there to help you find your feet. I'mpleased that you are loving it so far, I hope your good fortune continues :thumbsup:

Lynn xx

nightnurse2 May 3rd 2007 3:24 pm

Lovely post - glad you are settlling.
Good luck for the future:)
Tracey
PS Have you ordered anything yet;)

Mally Lass May 3rd 2007 3:31 pm

Brilliant Post :thumbsup:

Great to hear the positive attitude.

Glad it went smoothly for you :)

eddie007 May 3rd 2007 6:22 pm

Great to hear you are doing so nicely... and even better to hear about the Triumph... hubby will be leaving behind his beloved bonneville and is desparate to find another in perth.. you give us hope...:thumbup:

mark 'n' joe May 3rd 2007 6:38 pm

Great post, really enjoyed it. Glad you are settling in well, all the best for your future.

:thumbsup:

Joex

want2bthere May 3rd 2007 7:18 pm

sounds like you've settled really well, long may it continue:thumbup:

x

ohippy May 4th 2007 5:22 am

Wow Shirley - I didn't realise you were here too !!

Great to hear you're loving it after 6 months !

Issie May 4th 2007 7:05 am

Originally Posted by ub40fan (Post 4732994)

We landed mid afternoon on the 3rd Nov 2006. All dressed in our warm gear we walked out of Perth airport to bright sunshine and 32 degrees of heat.

We stayed with rellies for the first 3 months and to be honest it was absolutely great. There was enough room for us all, and my sil really helped point us in the right directions for all sorts.

We got the kids in school pretty quick (within a week), apart from the eldest as he was going into year 12 and year 11 had already finished, so instead he went and got himself a full time job in a local cafe/restaurant.

We did TFN's online, sorted out the bank account, got mobiles arranged. Steve only had a week and had interviews almost every day. He had a job offer by the time he flew back to UK.

Once he had gone I did the Medicare stuff for me & the kids, got a WA licence, bought a car, got a casual job working occasional night, did all the christmas shopping, and got into a routine of daily stuff.

I also started looking at rentals, but they were either wanting a long term (up to 2 years), not nice enough to consider living in (really really yuckky) or not available anymore.

Meanwhile back in UK, Steve handed in his notice, arranged all the shipping, cancelling services, sold the car and tidied up the few loose ends we had left to do, and then set about arranging his flight back.

He then got a better job offer from his company in UK, who have an office here in Perth. Although his boss is over in Sydney he works out of an office here. Why couldn't they do that 6 months before when he told them he was looking at moving here and had they any positions available!!

Anyway, Steve was back for Christmas and had a couple of weeks off before he started work. That was nice, but it would have been nicer if the kids had gone back to school when he went to work. The Christmas school holidays seem to go on forever - I know they don't, but 7 kids together in a house for 7 weeks and even the most patient of people would want to kill them and eat them :D

The kids have all settled well, even the 16 year old, at least we think he has - his grunts seem happier!

The shipping left the uk on the 8th Dec (I think) and arrived on the 4th Jan (?) We used Doree Bonner who were absolutely fantastic in UK, they let Steve change the dates by bringing it forward a week. Our stuff cleared customs without a problem, and as we weren't ready for it Grace kindly stored it for us, for a small charge ($35 a week I think - it wasn't a lot anyway).

We finally got a buyer for the house, the buyer agreed to complete within 6 weeks so we looked for a short term rental. By some stroke of luck we found one, no mean feat in Perth I can tell you, we applied for it and were lucky enough to get it. A nice 4 x 2 in Sorrento, with a pool and views of the ocean from the bedrooms. When everything was delivered and unpacked there had only been 2 breakeages - one plate (that I had packed :o ) and cheap vase I bought in Hong Kong 10 years before - so no great loss. We had a full 20' container so we were pretty pleased with the condition of everything.

Steve had sold his motorbike in UK and had believed he would never own another Triumph. WRONG! He found a lovely (:unsure: ) Triumph Legend that he is now the proud owner of. So apart from rainy days when I have to take him to the station that is how he gets into the city for work. He loves to ride back on West Coast Drive on a Friday night, he says you can't beat it.

The buyer for our UK house turned out to be a prat (putting it mildly) so that fell through, but we got another buyer and this appears to be going through ok. We have put an offer in on a house, which has been accepted subjected to the sale on the house in uk going through.

I suppose we were lucky in that Steve had a job guaranteed before he arrived, we have family here that we get on really well with and they helped us sort a lot of stuff out.

Since we have been here my dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer, and has had an operation for it, he starts chemo next week hopefully. He also had his 75th birthday, and my niece has had a baby girl, her first. These things I would have liked to be there for, but before we moved here Steve was in the army for 22 years (me for 6) and we moved around a lot, so I have long since accepted that there will be things we miss, and things that they will miss that we do.

We came here for a few reasons, one being that we want to give our kids a better life, already I think they have that. My daughter (11) is still a child, we find there is less pressure on them here to grow up quickly, less pressure on material things and she has a lot more friends too. My sons have both found friends with similar interests and have a better social life than I do :D

While I admit emigration is not for everyone, and judging by the amount of hate/love posts it gets neither is Perth, at the moment it is for us. We are happy here.

Shirley x

Super post Shirley ...thanks for sharing a small part of your life......Looking forward to getting together next year :)

ub40fan May 4th 2007 7:25 am

Thanks for all the nice comments guys

Pants - no worries mate, been there myself, you need an extra day in the week to do nice things instead of chores LOL

nightnurse2 - I can't get the catalogue to work :o forgot to email her back, tks for the reminder

Chippy - we certainly are here and very pleased to be. Went past your neck of the woods a couple of months ago en route to Bunker Bay - it was beautiful but next time I would like it to be less windy (and no it wasn't due beans for breakfast)

Issie - I look forward to it!

Take care all

Shirley x

northernbird May 4th 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by ub40fan (Post 4732994)

Shirley x

Congratulations Shirley.

ohippy May 4th 2007 9:46 am

sorry about the wind - it does get a bit windy here from about 1pm onwards - but then we're grateful for that in the summer.

We've not been to Bunker Bay yet but I've heard of it - is it any good ?

ub40fan May 4th 2007 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ohippy (Post 4736423)
sorry about the wind - it does get a bit windy here from about 1pm onwards - but then we're grateful for that in the summer.

We've not been to Bunker Bay yet but I've heard of it - is it any good ?

Beautiful - but that's where I meant when I said windy, was ok when we passed yours :)

storms May 4th 2007 10:20 am

Great post, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: