Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

6 months and our experiences of Oz

6 months and our experiences of Oz

Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:40 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: 6 months and our experiences of Oz

A lovely post and glad things are working out for you. Good luck for your next 6 months and the house build.

Lorraine
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weasy
Okay Graham

Have not dared ask before but need to know now - who was the failed friendship? Can you PM me and let me know before I get there and put my foot in anything

Lou and Chaz
xxxx
Hiya Lou

Have sent you an email.

Graham x
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Fab post! Here's to your next 6 months

I have just done our '2 Month' post and really look forward to all our new experiences too.

Take care

Melis
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mel n Daz
Fab post! Here's to your next 6 months

I have just done our '2 Month' post and really look forward to all our new experiences too.

Take care

Melis
Hi Gravymans! You've always been so supportive of us and our move, glad yours is going well!

xx
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:19 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post.

We (me, hubby, 2 kids and of course the dog) are expats currently living in Canada but seriously considering a move to Oz. I have to confess to being a little scared.

Reading all the posts help, but there are alot of people on the can't wait to return to the UK wagon. Can't make friends, Aussie's not welcoming blah blah blah.

Wish I knew what to do..........never been to Oz - but don't want to throw away a pile of money bringing a family of 4 on holiday if we decide not to go ahead with our application and stay in Canada........
Old Jan 26th 2007, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

simon C K is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gravyman
Six months ago on the 4th July 2006, Sara and I landed at Adelaide airport. A lot of experiences have been had since then, some bad, most good. I think a review is in order!

To date we have had two addresses, bought one car, received two bouquets of flowers, celebrated one birthday (Mine 21st Sept), celebrated one anniversary (17 years of marriage :-O), looked at 25 houses (approximate because they all seem to merge into one!) with a view to buying, had no visitors from the UK - yet, seen the start of about a half dozen good friendships and the failure of one (very sad), mastered juggling several conversations on MSN at the same time, learned that we don't always want to chat on MSN, coped with the feelings of rejection when those in the UK don't respond when they see we've logged in,

panicked over a suspected spider bite, taken heaps of fantastic photographs, been adopted as uncle and aunt by a couple of lovely lasses -you know who you are, stroked a couple of koala, fed kangaroos and wallabies, been growled at by a kangaroo (weird to say the least), seen wild dolphins leap from the water, fallen in love with lorikeets, galahs, corellas and cockatoos, got used to having a couple of buckets in the shower with us, got the hang of remembering to fill up the filter jug, wander how we managed without a seperate laundry room, accepted that our mail will be creased (small mailbox means that cards, etc are folded to fit through the slot, grrr!), Sara had one x-ray to check no bone damage to her knee caused by the fall in Florida, booked a photographic safari to Africa, bought around 12 slabs of beer, both of us have been breathalised by the Police which had never happened before in the UK, getting used to the Aussie way of driving,

seen whales with their calves at Victor Harbour, been blown away by the beaches (except on Christmas day when we were nearly blown away at the beach), been shouted at for driving at 54Km on a 60Km road, been confused on a bus, watched England lose at one of the most beautiful cricket grounds in the world, laughed at the Barmy Army, seen U2 in concert, dealt with a red-back spider without wetting ourselves, seen a blue-tongued lizard in the garden, both of us have our first Australian employers (must update the CV), Sara has cried heaps over missing family, made the decision to have a house built for us after failing to find one we both liked, found a block of land with a view of the sea from the garden, signed on the dotted line to buy the aforementioned block of land - two days ago.

In the next few months we will visit the Riverlands, explore more of the state, visit heaps of display homes in our search for a design to have built, find another rental to move to while the house is being built (we want to be closer so we can keep an eye on things), make more friends, have more bbqs, get less unfit, welcome other UK bound bods to Adelaide, have our first visitors, and heaps of other things!

We have had many positive and only a few negative experiences since arriving and have had no cause to have any regrets. Homesickness has been fleeting and for me its been only when thinking of our nieces and nephews and other family members. We do miss them and really cherish any contact we have from family AND friends in the UK, although to be honest it has been less frequent than we would like.

All in all we've loved the first six months and can't wait to meet what the next six months bring our way!

If you are here already you know what I mean and if you are coming here don't worry, you'll love it too!

Graham & Sara
Hi Graham,

Its so reasuring to read how much of a positive experience you are having in Adelaide. Interesting also to read that you are choosing a new build.
We are coming over in July [flights booked] and it really put my mind at ease reading your comments.
Maybe we can keep in touch, I'm sure there are many questions we will need answering over the coming months.

Simon
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon C K
Hi Graham,

Its so reasuring to read how much of a positive experience you are having in Adelaide. Interesting also to read that you are choosing a new build.
We are coming over in July [flights booked] and it really put my mind at ease reading your comments.
Maybe we can keep in touch, I'm sure there are many questions we will need answering over the coming months.

Simon
Hi Simon

No worries, if we can be of any help then please get in touch.

Graham
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Six months ago on the 4th July 2006, Sara and I landed at Adelaide airport. A lot of experiences have been had since then, some bad, most good. I think a review is in order!

To date we have had two addresses, bought one car, received two bouquets of flowers, celebrated one birthday (Mine 21st Sept), celebrated one anniversary (17 years of marriage :-O), looked at 25 houses (approximate because they all seem to merge into one!) with a view to buying, had no visitors from the UK - yet, seen the start of about a half dozen good friendships and the failure of one (very sad), mastered juggling several conversations on MSN at the same time, learned that we don't always want to chat on MSN, coped with the feelings of rejection when those in the UK don't respond when they see we've logged in,

panicked over a suspected spider bite, taken heaps of fantastic photographs, been adopted as uncle and aunt by a couple of lovely lasses -you know who you are, stroked a couple of koala, fed kangaroos and wallabies, been growled at by a kangaroo (weird to say the least), seen wild dolphins leap from the water, fallen in love with lorikeets, galahs, corellas and cockatoos, got used to having a couple of buckets in the shower with us, got the hang of remembering to fill up the filter jug, wander how we managed without a seperate laundry room, accepted that our mail will be creased (small mailbox means that cards, etc are folded to fit through the slot, grrr!), Sara had one x-ray to check no bone damage to her knee caused by the fall in Florida, booked a photographic safari to Africa, bought around 12 slabs of beer, both of us have been breathalised by the Police which had never happened before in the UK, getting used to the Aussie way of driving,

seen whales with their calves at Victor Harbour, been blown away by the beaches (except on Christmas day when we were nearly blown away at the beach), been shouted at for driving at 54Km on a 60Km road, been confused on a bus, watched England lose at one of the most beautiful cricket grounds in the world, laughed at the Barmy Army, seen U2 in concert, dealt with a red-back spider without wetting ourselves, seen a blue-tongued lizard in the garden, both of us have our first Australian employers (must update the CV), Sara has cried heaps over missing family, made the decision to have a house built for us after failing to find one we both liked, found a block of land with a view of the sea from the garden, signed on the dotted line to buy the aforementioned block of land - two days ago.

In the next few months we will visit the Riverlands, explore more of the state, visit heaps of display homes in our search for a design to have built, find another rental to move to while the house is being built (we want to be closer so we can keep an eye on things), make more friends, have more bbqs, get less unfit, welcome other UK bound bods to Adelaide, have our first visitors, and heaps of other things!

We have had many positive and only a few negative experiences since arriving and have had no cause to have any regrets. Homesickness has been fleeting and for me its been only when thinking of our nieces and nephews and other family members. We do miss them and really cherish any contact we have from family AND friends in the UK, although to be honest it has been less frequent than we would like.

All in all we've loved the first six months and can't wait to meet what the next six months bring our way!

If you are here already you know what I mean and if you are coming here don't worry, you'll love it too!

Graham & Sara

Wow............all that in 6 months................good on ya...............you must be out of breath!!!
Old May 13th 2007, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

GUYDERRY is an unknown quantity at this point

hi , lovely to read of a good experience , i'm currently going through the process with a view to visiting in the new year . i hope it is all that i think it will be
Old May 14th 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GUYDERRY
hi , lovely to read of a good experience , i'm currently going through the process with a view to visiting in the new year . i hope it is all that i think it will be
Hiya

Overall it has been everything we could have hoped for.

Our quality of life is better and we enjoy life a lot more here.

It has been tough at times but the good have certainly outweighed the bad.

The worst thing for us and especially Sara has been missing the family.
We have a lot of nieces & nephews and now great nieces & nephews so not being able to pop over and see them or give them a big hug etc does get to us both at times.

We are now very settled here and are in the process of building our own house.

Another few weeks we'll be posting our 12 months in.

Graham
Old May 14th 2007, 6:18 pm

oddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really nice

Graham and Sara

Only just seen this thread 'pop up' as someone has recently replied to it, and glad they did, otherwise I wouldn't have had such a great read
Super to hear that you are settled and have taken to the Aussie way of life so well. Hope the house build is going OK?

Can't wait for the 12 month up-date - hope it is as good as this one!

Sarah
Old May 15th 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya

Overall it has been everything we could have hoped for.

Our quality of life is better and we enjoy life a lot more here.

It has been tough at times but the good have certainly outweighed the bad.

The worst thing for us and especially Sara has been missing the family.
We have a lot of nieces & nephews and now great nieces & nephews so not being able to pop over and see them or give them a big hug etc does get to us both at times.

We are now very settled here and are in the process of building our own house.

Another few weeks we'll be posting our 12 months in.

Graham
Gravyman,
thanks for taking the time to write such a great post, it really helps to hear from people already in place and settling in well.
My application to join you has now started with an agency so I'll be reading the posts with interest.
Johnnyyt
Old May 16th 2007, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

mick and beck is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant post Gravyman! Really glad that you are having a great time out there and hope things continue that way for you. Good luck with everything and take care Beck