Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

6 Months on the Northern Beaches of Sydney

6 Months on the Northern Beaches of Sydney

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

blackhawk will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up 6 Months on the Northern Beaches of Sydney

Wow where did the time go. It only seemed like yesterday I was being told to dispose of my banana skin in Sydney immigration.

First thing to say is how settled I feel already. Here are some of the positives for me:

The sun is usually out not behind clouds.
Outdoor lifestyle.
Bushwalking in the National parks
The amazing coastline on the Northern beaches
Surfing lessons (only had one up in Palm beach but great fun)
The wildlife its diversity here (even forgive the screeching rainbow lorikeets for waking me up in the morning)
The lack of cars makes driving a pleasure in my 22 year old Ford Laser (beast)
The opportunities for making a success in small business seem higher
Friendly waiting staff ( well I did come from living in Madrid where it was terrible)

So all in all its going well and managed to meet a great Aussie girl along the way and start a new business, all in 6 months.

Shameless plug for my business will follow.
<Snip>

Best of luck to all those waiting for a visa its worth the wait. Go for it!!

Last edited by Sue; Feb 23rd 2010 at 11:55 pm. Reason: Hi please don't use forum post to tout for business. Thx
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 6 Months on the Northern Beaches of Sydney

Good post blackhawk and its great that you have settled down well.

Btw, what business are you in and how did you go about setting it up? Curious as setting up a small business has always been my dream, just didn't know what when where and how.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great upbeat post.
Congrats & good luck with your business whatever it is!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice

Nice update, and nice to hear that you are enjoying your life in Sydney. By the way, what business you have started in Sydney ? How long it takes to set up a company in Sydney ?

Thank you.
Gere
Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:49 am
Just Joined

blackhawk will become famous soon enough

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Ill try to answer some of the questions.

Btw, what business are you in and how did you go about setting it up? Curious as setting up a small business has always been my dream, just didn't know what when where and how.

Ive just started a coworking business. We provide desk space to freelancers to work from in a cool funky open plan office.

The process of starting a business has been a long one for me.

What business?
Always knew I wanted to run my own business but hadn't hit on the right idea until now. When the right idea comes you will know. You must have passion for your idea and a clear vision of where you want the business to go. The clearer the vision the more likely you will be successful.

When?

Difficult one again, but can be more difficult when you have family commitments. However, it is possible. Be prepared for long hours though.
No real ideal age.

How?
All the information you need to start is available online. (e.g gov websites)
Just accept that you are going to not understand all of the parts to setting up before you do it. Try to focus on the solution not the problems that occur.
It took me about 2 months to set it all up. It's amazing how many people are prepared to help you of you ask. All with different skills.

Where?
My business is 5 minutes walk from where I live. Saves on travelling time and more time focused on the business and I can pop home when I want. Although clearly this is always possible. Where are your customers? Competitors? Rental costs? Online businesses?

Hope this helps

Do send me an email if you want to get in touch
[email protected]

Thanks

Andrew
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by blackhawk
Hi all, thanks for the replies. Ill try to answer some of the questions.

Ive just started a coworking business. We provide desk space to freelancers to work from in a cool funky open plan office.

The process of starting a business has been a long one for me.

What business?
Always knew I wanted to run my own business but hadn't hit on the right idea until now. When the right idea comes you will know. You must have passion for your idea and a clear vision of where you want the business to go. The clearer the vision the more likely you will be successful.

When?

Difficult one again, but can be more difficult when you have family commitments. However, it is possible. Be prepared for long hours though.
No real ideal age.

How?
All the information you need to start is available online. (e.g gov websites)
Just accept that you are going to not understand all of the parts to setting up before you do it. Try to focus on the solution not the problems that occur.
It took me about 2 months to set it all up. It's amazing how many people are prepared to help you of you ask. All with different skills.

Where?
My business is 5 minutes walk from where I live. Saves on travelling time and more time focused on the business and I can pop home when I want. Although clearly this is always possible. Where are your customers? Competitors? Rental costs? Online businesses?

Hope this helps

Do send me an email if you want to get in touch
[email protected]

Thanks

Andrew
Hi Andrew, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will definitely get in touch with you once I am in Sydney.

Wish you all the best with your business.