6 months in Melbourne

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Mikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant future
Thumbs up 6 months in Melbourne

Time passes really quickly. It has been about 6 months since we arrived in Melbourne. Here is the update.

Arrival
We(my better half, 3 kids age 8, 6 and 2 years) arrived in Melbourene on the 12 February 2008. As summer time was a peak period , we could not get direct flights to Melbourne. We had to fly via Perth. This was not a good experience. We arrived about 12 midnight and the connecting flight to Melbourne was 7 am the next morning. The transfer from international terminal to the domestic terminaL was hell for me as we have 3 kiddoes(sleeepy, tired etc) and 5 big luggauge to manuveure. When we arrived in Melbourne, we managed to get a Toyota Tarrago and it fitted all of us and the 5 pieces of luggauge. By the time we get into an apartment it was about lunch time. All we wanted to do was to get to bed.
1st month
The first week was hectic. We registered the 2 kiddoes into the local school. A lot of things needed to be bought i.e. bags, books, uniform atationery etc. The kids started to go to school 1 week after we arrived. They have made friends and are enjoying the school in Melbourne.
As we had opened an account with St George Bank before we came, the follow up was to activate the account. We got our drivers' licences converted to the Victorian Drivers Licence and this was quick. We do not need to take any tests etc. We also got our medicare care card and family assitance office to register the 3 kiddoes.
QWe finally managed to get our rental house after 4 weeks. As new migrants, we were not employed and no references. So many nice rental properties were not available to us. I suppose this is part and parcel of migration.
2nd - 3rd Month
Our 20 footer container came and we were very glad to see our old stuff i.e couch, dining table, chairs etc. This was the first time that we managed to eat properly from table. During the first month, especially when we moved into the rental property, we were eating out from take-away package/container.
4th Months
I have started to look for work. I have attended 2 interviews. I pray that I will land a job soon. My area of expertise is in the area of environmental science, safety, health area.

Conclusion so far
We enjoyed every minute of our move. I am still enjoying my time here. While waiting to be employed in my area of expertise, I enjoyed walking the kids to school, tutoring the kids, going out every weekends etc.........
I love Melbourne and am enjoying every minute of it. Bonding between the family is never better. Conclusion we will stay on.........

Mikail
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6 months in Melbourne

[ [/QUOTE]

Excellent progress ,well done.

Dave
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Brownie is an unknown quantity at this point

well done guys
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Melbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really nice

Thanks for posting - it's great to hear that you're settling in well.

Enjoy !!

P.S. Where in Melbourne have you rented ?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Mikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant future

Now it has been 10 months......... Finally, I have landed with a job. Phew......, after about 100 application letters sent out. I am working in a City Council in the West. I started work about a month ago and enjoying every minute of it. The workplace is truely multi-cultural, i.e. Russian, Aussie, Maltese, Indian etc..... My boss is a Maltese. What a great place.....to be....!!!!! For those to-be migrant, I hope this will give encouragement to you all out there.

Mikail

Originally Posted by Mikail View Post
Time passes really quickly. It has been about 6 months since we arrived in Melbourne. Here is the update.

Arrival
We(my better half, 3 kids age 8, 6 and 2 years) arrived in Melbourene on the 12 February 2008. As summer time was a peak period , we could not get direct flights to Melbourne. We had to fly via Perth. This was not a good experience. We arrived about 12 midnight and the connecting flight to Melbourne was 7 am the next morning. The transfer from international terminal to the domestic terminaL was hell for me as we have 3 kiddoes(sleeepy, tired etc) and 5 big luggauge to manuveure. When we arrived in Melbourne, we managed to get a Toyota Tarrago and it fitted all of us and the 5 pieces of luggauge. By the time we get into an apartment it was about lunch time. All we wanted to do was to get to bed.
1st month
The first week was hectic. We registered the 2 kiddoes into the local school. A lot of things needed to be bought i.e. bags, books, uniform atationery etc. The kids started to go to school 1 week after we arrived. They have made friends and are enjoying the school in Melbourne.
As we had opened an account with St George Bank before we came, the follow up was to activate the account. We got our drivers' licences converted to the Victorian Drivers Licence and this was quick. We do not need to take any tests etc. We also got our medicare care card and family assitance office to register the 3 kiddoes.
QWe finally managed to get our rental house after 4 weeks. As new migrants, we were not employed and no references. So many nice rental properties were not available to us. I suppose this is part and parcel of migration.
2nd - 3rd Month
Our 20 footer container came and we were very glad to see our old stuff i.e couch, dining table, chairs etc. This was the first time that we managed to eat properly from table. During the first month, especially when we moved into the rental property, we were eating out from take-away package/container.
4th Months
I have started to look for work. I have attended 2 interviews. I pray that I will land a job soon. My area of expertise is in the area of environmental science, safety, health area.

Conclusion so far
We enjoyed every minute of our move. I am still enjoying my time here. While waiting to be employed in my area of expertise, I enjoyed walking the kids to school, tutoring the kids, going out every weekends etc.........
I love Melbourne and am enjoying every minute of it. Bonding between the family is never better. Conclusion we will stay on.........

Mikail
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:37 am
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Now it has been 10 months......... Finally, I have landed with a job. Phew......, after about 100 application letters sent out. I am working in a City Council in the West. I started work about a month ago and enjoying every minute of it. The workplace is truely multi-cultural, i.e. Russian, Aussie, Maltese, Indian etc..... My boss is a Maltese. What a great place.....to be....!!!!! For those to-be migrant, I hope this will give encouragement to you all out there.

Mikail
Congratulations on getting the job. Good luck with the rest of your new life in Australia
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

Mikail
Congratulation Dear Mikail on getting job. I am also an Environmental Engineer with an experience of more than 15 years and will be there in end of 2009. Will you be kind enough to tell ehich state will be best for us to settle(We have 2 kids -13 and 5 years) and wife is teacher.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

I suggest you go into www.seek.com.au and do a search for environmental engineer position. I suppose Victoria and NSW would have more of this job. As for teacher position, Victoria would be the place as teachers here in Victoria are paid.

I hope this helps...

Regards
Mikail
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

I suggest you go into www.seek.com.au and do a search for environmental engineer position. I suppose Victoria and NSW would have more of this job. As for teacher position, Victoria would be the place as teachers here in Victoria are paid.

I hope this helps...

Regards
Mikail
Thanks Mikail,
I think Victoria will be better as probably IT is cheaper than NSW. Where had u stayed initially when you had no rental accomodation and what price had you paid for staying there? How you managed the first nine months without a job, it seems too horrifying. Sorry if I am disturbing you coz as you might be knowing that there are lot of questions that keep on coming in mind before migrating Right now we have to wait and wait and wait for the VISA.
Regards
Sanjay
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

We had made accomodation arrangement via the internet before we arrived. We stayed in Unit 5, 74 George Street, East Doncaster. When we landed we went straight to the accomodation from the airport. Cost= $500/week. I suggest that this should be a short term accomodation, i.e. 2 - 3 weeks max. Yes, it is normal for a migrant to take 9 months to get a job. Yes I was having a short break from 20+ years of continueous working. Thi was a good opportunity.

Mikael
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

We had made accomodation arrangement via the internet before we arrived. We stayed in Unit 5, 74 George Street, East Doncaster. When we landed we went straight to the accomodation from the airport. Cost= $500/week. I suggest that this should be a short term accomodation, i.e. 2 - 3 weeks max. Yes, it is normal for a migrant to take 9 months to get a job. Yes I was having a short break from 20+ years of continueous working. Thi was a good opportunity.

Mikael
Thanks once again Mikael, be in touch. I hope to be in Melbourne in 2009.
Regards
Sanjay
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Smile Re: 6 months in Melbourne

Mikael
Hi Mikael, your story line is inspiring. I'm still waiting for my VISA before making my big move to Melbourne.

Keep sharing your story ..... a warm Merry Christmas to you and family.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Arrival
1st month
2nd - 3rd Month
4th Months

Conclusion so far

Mikail
Further Update
Another 12 months have passed. It is now 1 year and 8 months we are in Melbourne. After 9 months searching intensely, I have landed a job and now I am working for an western council. I am enjoying every minute of my time in the council and am always looking forward to go to work. My boss is very supportive and the colleagues are very nice. Incidentally, the department that I am working is very multinational. We have Russian, Polish, Italian (local born), Maltese (my boss), Indians and of course Australians. I am a Malaysian.

We have also bought a house and are now settled down in a suburb, i.e Heidelberg, about 12 km north east of Melbourne. We like the place. The house is an old house and I have become a handy man around the house fixing and maintaining the house. Currently, I am trying to repair my 10 year-old deck in the backyard and I must say that when I see the job completed, the satisfaction is there.

We are enjoying life in Melbourne and the kids are also enjoying school. My spouse has decided to change career and she is now back in the university.

All in all, we are glad that we made a decidion to come to Australian. I am on my way to become an Aussie.......

Mikail
Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:02 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Nice one Mikail!
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice

All in all, we are glad that we made a decidion to come to Australian. I am on my way to become an Aussie.......

Mikail
I'm happy for you & family .... planning for my big-jump to MEL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.