Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

6 months on Central Coast, NSW

6 months on Central Coast, NSW

Old May 21st 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of
Default 6 months on Central Coast, NSW

Wow, Australia is a wild, beautiful, wonderful country with inviting and friendly people.

It's hard to believe that we have been in Australia for 6 months already. The time has really gone quickly. We are feeling "settled" - especially our children. Our 11 year old (almost 12) DD said this is home - which is a huge change from her attitude at our arrival.

We had never been to Australia before. We rented our house in the United States, left all our furniture and belongings behind, gave away the cat, filled some suitcases, and came to see what life is like here. Our plan was at the end of 7 months, we'd either return to the US to stay, or plan to make this a more permanent move. We're ready to make Australia more permanent.

We arrived in Brisbane November 20th for OH and 25th for the kids and I. OH hated Brisbane - couldn't stand the heat - and didn't like the beaches. So after a few weeks, he put his resume out in Sydney. He had his first interview in Australia and got the job. We drove down the coast to NSW. The country is stunning, and the further south we came, the more amazing the beaches.

We came at the wrong time of year. Business slows down in December. Not as many hiring. But everything turned out well for us.

The public school my children attend is awesome! It's a beautiful campus. The staff provide an excellent education for each of my kids. My oldest has had many opportunities presented to her, more here then she would have had. My youngest daughter is happy in Kindy - she wasn't happy at her kindergarten stateside. My oldest son had some difficulties adjusting at school at first - placement issues - but loves it now.

I have met some lovely people and have a group of friends now. My preschool aged son even has some friends.

OH has a long commute to Sydney every day. He's not alone in his commute...they say about 50,000 people do it every day. It's tiring for him. But he doesn't want to go back.

We do miss family and friends. We do miss our lovely home in the US....and I cannot decide if we should sell or just rent it out again. But the plan is to stay on. I'll post an update at the one year mark.

To all those still waiting....keep your chin up, it can happen.....even in this recession. You decide what you want in your life.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months on Central Coast, NSW

What a lovely update.
Glad you are happy & settled!
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
What a lovely update.
Glad you are happy & settled!
Thanks Sallyclaire. We have some work to do to get our act cleaned up in the States, but we are happy and settled.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Catherine,

Glad to see that you are liking it so much. I have also been following your wonderful blog. Thanks for the good update.

We went for a short validation trip to Sydney back in April. My wife and son liked it a lot. However, I don't know yet when we will make the permanent move. Job situation is pretty bad there in my area of work. I guess we should wait a little longer for things to improve though there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. I've never seen such a tenacious recession before.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Superb
Glad you and your family have settled.

jase
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:07 pm
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Lovely update Catherine and I love reading your blog too. I am looking forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks when we are over there.
Old May 27th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by caliburn
Hi Catherine,

Glad to see that you are liking it so much. I have also been following your wonderful blog. Thanks for the good update.

We went for a short validation trip to Sydney back in April. My wife and son liked it a lot. However, I don't know yet when we will make the permanent move. Job situation is pretty bad there in my area of work. I guess we should wait a little longer for things to improve though there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. I've never seen such a tenacious recession before.
Wow, Caliburn, if I would have known you were "in the area", I would have invited you for coffee. Thanks for reading my blog too, that's great.

I now things are slowing here, but it's nothing compared to what I saw and experienced in the US before we arrived here. There are signs of recovery in China - a huge trading partner to Australia. Rudd's infrastructure investments are well timed and important both now and in the long term.

I look forward to meeting you when you return
Old May 27th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Superb
Glad you and your family have settled.

jase
Thanks Jase
Old May 27th 2009, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAK
Lovely update Catherine and I love reading your blog too. I am looking forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks when we are over there.
Janet -

Looking forward to your visit! It's cook at night and many of the days are overcast recently. Maybe that's how winter is. I haven't seen the whales, yet, but I'm told they are on the way.

See you in a few days!

Catherine
Old May 29th 2009, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

barry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nice

Originally Posted by tiger222
Wow, Australia is a wild, beautiful, wonderful country with inviting and friendly people.

It's hard to believe that we have been in Australia for 6 months already. The time has really gone quickly. We are feeling "settled" - especially our children. Our 11 year old (almost 12) DD said this is home - which is a huge change from her attitude at our arrival.

We had never been to Australia before. We rented our house in the United States, left all our furniture and belongings behind, gave away the cat, filled some suitcases, and came to see what life is like here. Our plan was at the end of 7 months, we'd either return to the US to stay, or plan to make this a more permanent move. We're ready to make Australia more permanent.

We arrived in Brisbane November 20th for OH and 25th for the kids and I. OH hated Brisbane - couldn't stand the heat - and didn't like the beaches. So after a few weeks, he put his resume out in Sydney. He had his first interview in Australia and got the job. We drove down the coast to NSW. The country is stunning, and the further south we came, the more amazing the beaches.

We came at the wrong time of year. Business slows down in December. Not as many hiring. But everything turned out well for us.

The public school my children attend is awesome! It's a beautiful campus. The staff provide an excellent education for each of my kids. My oldest has had many opportunities presented to her, more here then she would have had. My youngest daughter is happy in Kindy - she wasn't happy at her kindergarten stateside. My oldest son had some difficulties adjusting at school at first - placement issues - but loves it now.

I have met some lovely people and have a group of friends now. My preschool aged son even has some friends.

OH has a long commute to Sydney every day. He's not alone in his commute...they say about 50,000 people do it every day. It's tiring for him. But he doesn't want to go back.

We do miss family and friends. We do miss our lovely home in the US....and I cannot decide if we should sell or just rent it out again. But the plan is to stay on. I'll post an update at the one year mark.

To all those still waiting....keep your chin up, it can happen.....even in this recession. You decide what you want in your life.
Well done. So pleased you have settled in here on the Central Coast. Heres to the next six months ! We have been here 5 years now, live in Woy Woy ( Commute to Sydney also ) and daughter had similar attitude at 13 when she arrived ( Now 19 ). Good luck to you for the future and hopefully get to meet up at a forthcoming CC meet

Barry and Carol
Old May 30th 2009, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by barry&carol
Well done. So pleased you have settled in here on the Central Coast. Heres to the next six months ! We have been here 5 years now, live in Woy Woy ( Commute to Sydney also ) and daughter had similar attitude at 13 when she arrived ( Now 19 ). Good luck to you for the future and hopefully get to meet up at a forthcoming CC meet

Barry and Carol
Hi Barry and Carol -

I would love to meet up. I have been to one Central Coast meet. I am not sure if any other meets have happened since?

I'll bet my OH commutes on the same trains (maybe not the same times though).

Where did you live prior to living here in woy woy?

Is your 19 year old going to TAFE now?

I have a lot of questions about High Schools in the area, if you'd care to be peppered?

Catherine
Old May 30th 2009, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tiger222
Janet -

Looking forward to your visit! It's cook at night and many of the days are overcast recently. Maybe that's how winter is. I haven't seen the whales, yet, but I'm told they are on the way.

See you in a few days!

Catherine
Janet -

Are we down to 1 week now?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:20 pm
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Yes one week today we will be flying out. My Aunt has been keeping me updated with the weather conditions and the awful rain you have been having. Fingers crossed we bring some of this beautiful sunshine we are having at the moment.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough

hi catherine,
glad to see things have turned out ok for you after not liking it originally, our house sale has finally started to go through and are hopefully booking flights and accomodation next week
Old Jun 7th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Hi

where abouts on central coast are you? Would ideally be our first choice, but Adelaide seems to have more jobs in Nursing?! But central caost is perfect location, and Sydney within easy reach. Glad you like it.

ozbaz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.