Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

6 months in - a Brissy Tale

6 months in - a Brissy Tale

Old Nov 29th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default 6 months in - a Brissy Tale

It seems surreal to be typing this, we've been here half a year and it's been so busy that I have hardly had time to draw breath to reflect on how I feel about our long term future in Australia.

One thing is 150% certain, Australia is now home, we have no plan to ever move long distance again. We love Brisbane and find it to be a vibrant, happy place to live (contrary to many expats who have a totally opposite view point i.e. that it's boring and provincial).

The children are happy and settled, for the most part. Our eldest son (7) sometimes misses home and his friends, but that's usually short lived.

The hubby is happy in his job - he finds the work ethic a good balance (not as full on as London but much more professional than Cape Town).

Me, I love it but I do feel like a stranger in a strange land. My biggest bugbear is not knowing my way around. Just finding a Bunnings or petrol station on some days has been a major effort. I am also finding it quite hard to manage the three children on my own without any support from family/friends. That's a small price to pay though in the grand scheme of things. I totally accept that feeling like a duck out of water for a few years is normal, so I'll roll with it. In the meantime, I have made some friends (both Aussie and expat) and I am never short of somebody to visit/chat to which is great!

We have bought a house which is currently being renovated. Wow - Aussie builders/tradies are quite a law unto themselves, but I think I have worked out how the system works now, so hopefully we'll get there sooner rather than later.

Six months in - the honeymoon period has definitely worn off. Despite this, we are still very happy with our decision to move here and luckily have not suffered from much homesickness.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 10:25 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Re: 6 months in - a Brissy Tale

Glad you are having a good time - it does take quite a while to really settle - we have loved it since we arrived 17 months ago but it gets better and better as time goes by.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Dejags, I see that you are a project manager from Cape Town? I am a South African who has spent the last 8 years living on a small Caribbean Island and we will be moving to Brisbane in April-ish....
I am interseted to hear your experience of the job market......can I PM you?
Also, where do you live in Brisbane.....trying to get a feel for the areas and every new piece of info helps....

Cheers
Nix
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
Dejags, I see that you are a project manager from Cape Town? I am a South African who has spent the last 8 years living on a small Caribbean Island and we will be moving to Brisbane in April-ish....
I am interseted to hear your experience of the job market......can I PM you?
Also, where do you live in Brisbane.....trying to get a feel for the areas and every new piece of info helps....

Cheers
Nix

By all means. I have tentatively looked into jobs quite recently, so I might be able to shed a bit of light.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

PAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck hope all goes well for you,been here 2yr now and wouldn't move back to the uk
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dejags
It seems surreal to be typing this, we've been here half a year and it's been so busy that I have hardly had time to draw breath to reflect on how I feel about our long term future in Australia.

One thing is 150% certain, Australia is now home, we have no plan to ever move long distance again. We love Brisbane and find it to be a vibrant, happy place to live (contrary to many expats who have a totally opposite view point i.e. that it's boring and provincial).

The children are happy and settled, for the most part. Our eldest son (7) sometimes misses home and his friends, but that's usually short lived.

The hubby is happy in his job - he finds the work ethic a good balance (not as full on as London but much more professional than Cape Town).

Me, I love it but I do feel like a stranger in a strange land. My biggest bugbear is not knowing my way around. Just finding a Bunnings or petrol station on some days has been a major effort. I am also finding it quite hard to manage the three children on my own without any support from family/friends. That's a small price to pay though in the grand scheme of things. I totally accept that feeling like a duck out of water for a few years is normal, so I'll roll with it. In the meantime, I have made some friends (both Aussie and expat) and I am never short of somebody to visit/chat to which is great!

We have bought a house which is currently being renovated. Wow - Aussie builders/tradies are quite a law unto themselves, but I think I have worked out how the system works now, so hopefully we'll get there sooner rather than later.

Six months in - the honeymoon period has definitely worn off. Despite this, we are still very happy with our decision to move here and luckily have not suffered from much homesickness.
Your story sounds great , i am waiting on my visa and with soon be on my way to brisbane also so while i wait and wait i thought i would get myself together a list of all the things i will need to do once i get out there i.e
open a bank account, register with a doctors and dentist, find a job etc.

so my question is when you left to go to OZ what did you do about your doctors and dentist as in all your files do i tell them im emergrating and will they give my my medical history or do they send it out to you once you have registered with a doctors in OZ? i am aware you can open a bank account before you leave which is what i will do as i will transfer money into it what about getting a driving licence once im out there do i have to take a test? is it easy to join medicare? and i assume you need to get some kind of national insurance type number so that you can work? any tips you can give me or anything i have missed out would be gladly recieved?

Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2009, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Bobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really nice

Originally Posted by dejags

Its so lovely to hear about people settling in and making it work. My son and i have been here for 8 months now and LOVE Brisbane!! I never thought i'd love a city so much having lived in the Devon countryside for the last 10 years!! We too get homesick from time to time but its more about the people than the place! Heres to the next 8 months!!!!!
Bobbie
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:17 pm
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Great post!! Glad your enjoying Brisbane. We've been here for three and a half years now and would not live anywhere else in Australia. I travel all over Oz for work, but still get excited when I get back on that plane and head home to Brissie!!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Good post!
Glad things are going well for you
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Fab update Dejags! We're northside as well,where abouts are you? Good luck with the house renovation