6 Months in Adelaide

Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:02 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 Months in Adelaide

I cant believe we've been here for 6 months already - but in another sense i cant believe its only been 6months!

We've had a fair old rollercoaster ride, before we arrived and since we got here, and we're still strapped in but not as tightly lol

We've settled really well, helped big time by securing the 'perfect' rental - then being offered an extension on the lease - requesting to be allowed pets and the owners saying yes so we dont have to move anytime soon, quite happy to stay in this house for years now...we would love to buy it but it would be twice the price for the mortage than it is for rent so we're laughing!

Our teens have settled well, better and quicker than we could have expected, although we've had 'mares' with them, theyve both moved out, although i sometimes feel sad about that, its improved our relationships no end. Theyre together, only 10mins away, they come for tea, we buy them food shopping etc and are building up more quality family times with them...the house atmosphere has improved no end as theres no rows anymore and the kids are not trying to kill each other or out scream each other.
Sons working, he quit school but hes happy and earning loads of money, labouring laying pipes etc.
Daughters at TAFE doing 3 courses and working pt.
They have fab social lives, finally made alot of decent mates - got into wrong crowds initially etc...and both love it here and have thanked us for dragging them here.

The youngest daughter is still settling - she made friends at school quickly and was off to parties/discos and teas but has really missed her best friends in the UK - she loves keeping in touch with them and updating them with what shes upto...she started playschool/reception with friends in Uk so we knew she would struggle leaving them, shes actually bought her entire UK classmates/friends lil koala teds for Xmas to send back, but shes made some lovely friends here and is happy.
She has grown in confidence so much, much more outgoing now, shes got a couple of bestest mates here now and is feeling much happier. Shes also learnt to bodyboard - which she loves - this is a girl who wouldnt get her face wet in the pool in the UK!

Lil man started school this week, thankgoodness, as school start ages are different here he had to go back to kindy, but hes in school now, he likes his teacher, loves being back at school too. Hes made loads of friends, he makes friends everywhere he goes...hes loving fishing, bodyboarding (his own style) the beach, going on bike rides etc.

KOH loves it here, but hes hating manufacturing...he was laid off again yesterday so looking for 4th job already - he only had 4 jobs in 18yrs in the UK so is finding it really frustrating...hes all for getting out of manufacturing now is is looking for anything. Hes found the work here to be quite substandard, maybe due to working in aerospace before with no margin of error/tolerances etc.
Im still attending TAFE, although i dont need to attend until next year now as my quals from Uk have been mapped over and ive covered most of the course already - just need to cover the law/legislations etc of training. So mostly im a LOL and really enjoying it...my leg has improved so much, im at a better place of healing than i could even of dreamed of.
I can ride my bike, walk for hours, was even dancing like a teenage raver for my birthday!!!

Adelaide has ticked our boxes, its quiet, its pretty, theres lots of things going on if you want, sporting facitlities here are good, our childrens schools are brilliant, the beaches are fab (not liking the fact great whites are seen here regularly though) ive seen dolphins almost everytime ive been on the beach, Ive killed 4 redbacks in 10 days we see wild kangaroos all the time as well as beautiful parrots, the city is 45mins away if we want it - only been there 5times as everything we need is here in the south already.
We have made fantastic friends, really really great friends which has shocked us as we thought it would take much longer to get a decent friend circle etc.

So in 6 mths, we're no richer financially, pretty much even and plodding along until i start work next year. BUT in lifestyle were minted - were doing all the things we wanted to do.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 Months in Adelaide

Hey Kat, good to hear that things are going well for you guys. I am really happy for you all. That 6 months has gone pretty quick hasn't it! I don't know where the time goes here?!

Give the little man a big hug from me
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: 6 Months in Adelaide

Great post. Adelaide gets a bit of grief on here. It doesn't suit everyone but it has more to offer than many people think. We've been here (up in the Hills) just over a year and we're very much enjoying this little corner of SA. Here's to your next six months and more...

Hills Boy
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:52 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure the clocks tick faster here...same as the water boils quicker

Will have to catch up with you again soon Wendy...

Ive spent the day on the beach with the kids, checking out the surf clubs open day, watching dolphins showing off 20m off the beach near swimmers...bliss as far as im concerned.
KOH is on a road trip to Melbourne with his mate...making the most of his unemployment

The flies have really come out of the woodwork this week tho - YUKK
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

So glad you have settled. we come out to Adelaide next week and I'm so NOT looking forward to them flies My 5 year old screams when tey come near him

Always nice to hear a good update

Tina xx
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:13 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

nice to hear a good update

glad to hear you are all settling in ... we have been looking at seaford for when we eventually get there ... real estate websites make it look lovely , although i wish we had driven round the area when we came out last year.

looking forward to your one year update

sue x
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
nice to hear a good update

glad to hear you are all settling in ... we have been looking at seaford for when we eventually get there ... real estate websites make it look lovely , although i wish we had driven round the area when we came out last year.

looking forward to your one year update

sue x

Seaford is really nice Sue. We looked there when we arrived and if G had have been able to get work down there I would have happily bought a house there.

I also love Moana and Port Noarlunga is my favourite beach in SA.

After saying that though, I do love where I am too - easily pleased me