British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   6 and a bit months in Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/6-bit-months-melbourne-516557/)

herrchook Feb 23rd 2008 10:15 am

6 and a bit months in Melbourne

I'm keeping this brief as I've had a few :beer:.

It's been a tough few months. Met loads of lovely peeps, some will hopefully be friends for life (Margaret, are you reading this:)).

I didn't fall in love with Melbourne like some but I'm getting there and it's early days. A trip to Sydney knocked me for 6 as I have always loved it there. I visit from my parents also knocked me for six - blaady hell that was hard.

However, every days a new day and today we bought our own little piece of Oz and it feel good.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's hard work, much much harder than we ever thought, certainly no walk in the park, but on reflection I think it's better. We're happy for now and that's all I'm asking for right now:).

moneypenny20 Feb 23rd 2008 10:46 am

Re: 6 and a bit months in Melbourne

Good going! No one said it would be easy but well done on getting through the rubbish days. A pic of your bit of Aus would be good. Hope the bad days get less and less.

stevensfamily Feb 23rd 2008 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5973009)
Good going! No one said it would be easy but well done on getting through the rubbish days. A pic of your bit of Aus would be good. Hope the bad days get less and less.

Great pics of new house on your blog.

Congratulations and thanks for the blog it makes great reading.

See you at a Britvics meet soon as we move over April 08

Scared stiff:eek:

Sally Simpson Feb 24th 2008 3:24 pm

Good post & well done!:thumbup:

Margaret3 Feb 25th 2008 6:40 am

awwwwwwwwe thanx gill, but you promised me you'd buy a house with a pool:lol:

busterboy Feb 25th 2008 6:44 am

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 5972897)
I'm keeping this brief as I've had a few :beer:.

It's been a tough few months. Met loads of lovely peeps, some will hopefully be friends for life (Margaret, are you reading this:)).

I didn't fall in love with Melbourne like some but I'm getting there and it's early days. A trip to Sydney knocked me for 6 as I have always loved it there. I visit from my parents also knocked me for six - blaady hell that was hard.

However, every days a new day and today we bought our own little piece of Oz and it feel good.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's hard work, much much harder than we ever thought, certainly no walk in the park, but on reflection I think it's better. We're happy for now and that's all I'm asking for right now:).

I am very glad to hear your news and that things seem to be settling down.

The Crow Feb 25th 2008 9:02 am

Good to hear things are going well, Gill. House looks great - owning our own house made a real difference for us. Good luck for the next 6 months/6 years/60 years.... :D

herrchook Feb 26th 2008 1:19 am

Thanks for all the good wishes folks, you've been a tremendous source of support/inspiration over the past few years.

And Margaret, there might not be a pool but there'll always be a fridge full of wine and a spare room :lol:.

We're just busy trying to get the mortgage sorted now so we can actually move in :eek:. Gawd, I can't wait to unpack my pictures and have bedroom curtans again - haven't seen that stuff since last April.

Hutch Feb 26th 2008 10:33 pm

Well done missus. In a way it's probably better that Melbourne didn't grab you from the start - I've always thought that the best relationships are the ones that start off slowly, from humble beginnings and then grow over time. :)

busterboy Feb 26th 2008 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 5987401)
Well done missus. In a way it's probably better that Melbourne didn't grab you from the start - I've always thought that the best relationships are the ones that start off slowly, from humble beginnings and then grow over time. :)

I agree Hutch. It's like a CD you love, buy, play to death in the first week and then put on the pile because you never want to hear it again! Slow burners always seem best.

I think you will begin to love here Herrchook, it was just take longer than you might have expected.

herrchook Feb 27th 2008 11:01 pm

I totally agree with you mate - here's to lots more growing :D

herrchook Feb 27th 2008 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by busterboy (Post 5987411)
I agree Hutch. It's like a CD you love, buy, play to death in the first week and then put on the pile because you never want to hear it again! Slow burners always seem best.

I think you will begin to love here Herrchook, it was just take longer than you might have expected.

Have just read your update and while I am sorry for what you've gone through and wouldn't wish it on anyone, it's so heartening to see that we're not the only ones who find the grass is greener from day one. We've got to work hard at making this work, no one's going to drop good times in our laps, we've got to get out there and make them happen for ourselves.:)

busterboy Feb 28th 2008 12:09 am

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 5992271)
Have just read your update and while I am sorry for what you've gone through and wouldn't wish it on anyone, it's so heartening to see that we're not the only ones who find the grass is greener from day one. We've got to work hard at making this work, no one's going to drop good times in our laps, we've got to get out there and make them happen for ourselves.:)

Come drink with us Melbourne CBD Friday 7th of March 2008 (I think). All the Jockettes will be there.

herrchook Feb 28th 2008 2:10 am

Originally Posted by busterboy (Post 5992427)
Come drink with us Melbourne CBD Friday 7th of March 2008 (I think). All the Jockettes will be there.

Would love to. Leave it with me, I'm well overdue a good night out:)

Margaret3 Feb 28th 2008 5:36 am

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 5992690)
Would love to. Leave it with me, I'm well overdue a good night out:)

yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy its the rebirth of the scottish lassies:lol:, mr anderson must be kacking himself:lol: