6.5 weeks in Melbourne

Old May 23rd 2008, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 6.5 weeks in Melbourne

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Hi Tracy
Wonderful post thanks.........will read it every time I feel 'I-can't-do-this-anymore'!!!! :
Thanks for the pm's........will send you another when I have 10 mins to myself ok.
I've been wondering how we will manage for beds before our container arrives : Guess airbeds are a good idea though
Still no viewers our end......fingers crossed things pick up soon for the both of us!!!!
Beth x x
You can do it Beth, I am looking forward to meeting you in person real soon
Air beds are great for the kids, not so great when you and OH are different weights and when ever he turns over you think you are going to go through the window. You can buy beds cheap enough and we have found some good stuff on gum tree, usually too late and it had been sold

Fingers crossed that the houseing market will pick up soon Beth, and we will both sell

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Great update Tracy. So glad that you are happy and starting to settle. It sounds wonderful.:

I have my fingers permanently crossed that you will sell soon.

Keep the updates coming!

Hi Fly

Thanks, so far so good, we are all happy and that is all that matters for now.

If we don't sell we will just revert to plan H or are we on K yet

Tracy
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
You can do it Beth, I am looking forward to meeting you in person real soon
Air beds are great for the kids, not so great when you and OH are different weights and when ever he turns over you think you are going to go through the window. You can buy beds cheap enough and we have found some good stuff on gum tree, usually too late and it had been sold

Fingers crossed that the houseing market will pick up soon Beth, and we will both sell

Hi Fly

Thanks, so far so good, we are all happy and that is all that matters for now.

If we don't sell we will just revert to plan H or are we on K yet

Tracy
Hi Tracy,

Congratulations,

We arrived on 17th April and now live in Langwarrin (on a 2.5 acre block). Found it almost impossible to get rental we always seemed to turn up behind 200 other people who wanted the same house. We have rented for 6 months from a british couple who are moving over Dec/Jan and have bought a house and wanted someone to look after it until they come over.

Things are hard here but I think worth it, the exchange rate is a killer and I think Ozzy's are struggling with the price of things at the moment. Aldi in Carrum is our friend as well. We lived in Mount Martha for 3 weeks in a holiday rental and its a great spot. Our kids go to school in Moorduc and Baxter so we chose Langwarrin to live. I travel to the CBD everyday by train from Frankston, they keep canceling the trains which is frustrating as you need to catch an express to get in in an hour!!!. The commute is a killer but like you say worth it for the great beaches and rural countryside.

Our kids love it here and are definitely happy with school. We chose fee paying which allows us to live anywhere within commute area and gives us freedom. It will be difficult.

Good luck and maybe see you at next meet. Just got on line at home and so pleased to have comms again

Cheryl
Old May 26th 2008, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

dinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nice

Hi Tracy,

Great read, thanks for posting. Good to hear you are settling in wellMakes us even more excited about going which is pretty difficult with only three weeks to go!

C
xx
Old May 26th 2008, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Tracey, well done
Old May 27th 2008, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Hi Tracy,

Congratulations,

We arrived on 17th April and now live in Langwarrin (on a 2.5 acre block). Found it almost impossible to get rental we always seemed to turn up behind 200 other people who wanted the same house. We have rented for 6 months from a british couple who are moving over Dec/Jan and have bought a house and wanted someone to look after it until they come over.

Things are hard here but I think worth it, the exchange rate is a killer and I think Ozzy's are struggling with the price of things at the moment. Aldi in Carrum is our friend as well. We lived in Mount Martha for 3 weeks in a holiday rental and its a great spot. Our kids go to school in Moorduc and Baxter so we chose Langwarrin to live. I travel to the CBD everyday by train from Frankston, they keep canceling the trains which is frustrating as you need to catch an express to get in in an hour!!!. The commute is a killer but like you say worth it for the great beaches and rural countryside.

Our kids love it here and are definitely happy with school. We chose fee paying which allows us to live anywhere within commute area and gives us freedom. It will be difficult.

Good luck and maybe see you at next meet. Just got on line at home and so pleased to have comms again

Cheryl
Hi Cheryl, it would be great to catch up at the next meet, glad you are enjoying and have settled too. Even better that the kids are happy, that makes such a difference.

I know what you mean about being on line, I thought my right arm had been cut off

Take Care
Tracy

Originally Posted by dinky2
Hi Tracy,

Great read, thanks for posting. Good to hear you are settling in wellMakes us even more excited about going which is pretty difficult with only three weeks to go!

C
xx
Hi C

Good Luck with your journey, only 3 weeks, that will fly by. We might get to meet you too at the next get together.

Tracy

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Great post Tracey, well done

Hi Sallyclaire

Thanks for this, we are all very content with life, even today when it is raining

Tracy
Old May 27th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

ebyron is on a distinguished road

Hello Tracey,

Great to hear things are working out well - makes me feel more positive. We are set to fly out to Melbourne in just under 6 weeks . The air beds and dvds on a laptop strikes a cord - that is exactly what we'll be doing to begin with!!!!!!!

Best wishes!!
Old May 30th 2008, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ebyron
Hello Tracey,

Great to hear things are working out well - makes me feel more positive. We are set to fly out to Melbourne in just under 6 weeks . The air beds and dvds on a laptop strikes a cord - that is exactly what we'll be doing to begin with!!!!!!!

Best wishes!!

The 6 weeks will fly by an you will be here in no time I think it is what everyone does, but you eventually get sorted, our container docks tomorrow and we will get to hear an approx delivery date Tuesday - I can't wait !!!!!!

Where are you heading to when you arrive?

Tracy
Old May 30th 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

ebyron is on a distinguished road

You must be excited - it will be lovely to see your things again!!!!

We are heading for Melbourne, Bayside area with any luck!! 4 weeks to go!!!
Old May 30th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ebyron
You must be excited - it will be lovely to see your things again!!!!

We are heading for Melbourne, Bayside area with any luck!! 4 weeks to go!!!
Heck, I've only been out for tea and 2 weeks have passed We are Mount Martha, but closer to Mornington and just LOVE it, the Bayside area is just lovely. Stay in touch and if you have any questions don't hesitate to shout.

Tracy
Old May 30th 2008, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

The 6 weeks will fly by an you will be here in no time I think it is what everyone does, but you eventually get sorted, our container docks tomorrow and we will get to hear an approx delivery date Tuesday - I can't wait !!!!!!

Where are you heading to when you arrive?

Tracy
Great news - bet you can't wait! I hope they process your stuff through customs quickly.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

joannesmith79 will become famous soon enough

sorry but what is a 457
Hi All

Well we arrived just over 6 weeks ago on a 457, Jason started work one week after arrival so we had a very busy first week, looking at areas to live, picking up bank cards, organising medicare and a TFN, but we did it. I think it is fair to say that so far things are going well for us, (well apart from the Crown Fiasco) we were lucky to find a rental in the first week, first one we saw and applied for, we moved in a couple of weeks later, no point in rushing as we had paid accommodation in the CBD and didn’t relish sleeping on air beds.

We have been to 2 BE CBD meets and thoroughly enjoyed both, we met some lovely people who have given us some fantastic advice and recommendations and we are thankful to those for that, we have also had some PM’s asking if we want to meet again and we will. I have had emails from others on BE giving me phone numbers and suggesting a meet, I will be contacting you real soon to make those arrangements.

Jason’s job is going well, project management seems to be more or less the same the world over.

2 youngest (11 and 7) have been in school nearly 3 weeks and have settled in well, Mollie has been invited to a birthday party on Saturday, Sam refuses to invite anyone to the house until our furniture arrives, think he is a little embarrassed, I can understand why. He did make me laugh yesterday, they were discussing the weather in school and most of the Australians in his class haven’t seen snow, he was amazed.

Eldest (16, 17 in October) had an interview at Chisham TAFE today for a 6 month bridging course, which will hopefully lead to him being accepted into a diploma course for computer engineering. The bridging course is for those without the VCE, there is a booklet available showing you what options are available if you don’t have a VCE, handy for those just leaving school in the UK and who don’t want to go back to school. We were told he would have an interview and maths test, he had neither, it was an informal chat and he has been accepted on the actual Diploma course and doesn’t need to do the bridging bit. He is soo pleased and so are we, it is what he wants to do so hopefully he will commit to it.

We live in Mount Martha, but are very close to Mornington, it is a long commute for Jason, but he had a long commute in the UK so it used to it and thinks that it is worth it to live where we do. He gets the bus from home to Frankston then the train into the CBD, the train back on a night and we pick him up from Frankston, not ideal but we can’t afford a second car yet. I also like the CBD, we haven’t seen that much of it, but are looking forward to exploring what it has to offer.

I have had my ups and downs emotion wise and in the first couple of weeks could easily have gone back, I have even had a couple of wobbles here in Mount Martha, but at the moment believe those wobbles are to do with missing close family and friends, my dad cries whenever we speak to him and that is hard, my best friends mum has just been diagnosed with cancer and I am not there it give her a hug. I miss them, but not home, and I can’t believe that I am saying that as I loved my house in the UK, it was my forever home, but now I can’t wait to sell it. It isn’t easy and I am not going to say it is, it is amazing how resourceful you become when you are living with limited resources, sleeping on airbeds, watching the same old DVD’s on the lap top which is perched on an old box, while sitting in cheap BIG W deckchairs, is only fun for a short time the novelty soon wears off.

I love Mount Martha, the Mornington Peninsular and the surrounding area, it is so beautiful, we have seen kangaroos sunbathing at the side of the road and have signposts on our road telling us to watch for the koalas, how great is that.

Shopping, having found Aldi, it is now OK, I also look for special offers in the supermarkets and local farm type shop called Tully’s, meat is expensive, but we like pasta and if you plan what you are going to cook and buy accordingly it is not that bad. I LOVE Dan Murphy’s and cannot get over how cheap that is, it makes up for the food being expensive. We haven’t barted for anything yet, too tired and with a great need for what we bought, we just found the best deal that was being offered. We have found The Good Guys to be good for electrical and after another wobble where Jason was given an ultimatum one morning, that he either spend money on a bed or a flight home for me we went to Fantastic Furniture and did a deal with them, for $2400 we got a 3 seater sofa, 2 seater sofa, TV stand, coffee table, side table, queen bed and sprung mattress, 2 bedside cabinets and a slim boy, personally I thought that was fantastic value and they couldn’t help us enough, going through stock and showing us what we could take away with us. Jason had to strap the mattress to the roof of the car but I didn’t care as long as we had a good night’s sleep and we did. The kids are still on air beds, but they are lighter, weight wise than we are and can cope better.

Spiders, we saw a red back when we first moved into the house, but it was dead, we have bombed inside and sprayed outside and not seen any others. I can’t say I am looking for them though we are just getting on with daily life and when we see one will tackle it then.

Driving, we had heard that there are lots of bad drivers here, don’t think it is that they are bad but very inconsiderate, we stick to the speed limit which doesn’t go down well with whoever is behind and they drive that close that if you had to break suddenly they would be on your lap, but you get used to not letting them intimidate you, we have had some not so great hand gestures and are now in the habit of saluting back.

Weather has been great, don’t know if this is usual for this time of year, we have had some rain which is needed, but mostly lovely sunny days, maybe a little breezy, but we haven’t had to wear a coat yet and it is winter, no sign of 4 seasons in one day, but it is early days.

We have novated a lease through Jason’s employer on a car, a Kia Rondo, it was cheap and had the space we needed with 3 kids, until we sell in the UK ,financially things are not going to be easy and I have to get a job too. Kia at Mornington again were great and let us have a courtesy car until ours arrived.

Jason has a job offer for 2 year and a 4 year visa, at 18 months if we want to stay the company will apply for PR for us, at the moment I think we will stay, but who knows, I don’t have rose tinted glasses on and know we have been lucky so far and things may change, for example I need to get a job and I know that can be hard, but no regrets so far, we are all happy and that is all that matters. Who knows what the next 6 weeks have to offer but I can’t wait to find out. We were told we were embarking on a roller coaster journey when we first started this, how true this statement was, for any one still waiting for their visa hang in there it is worth it and for those still waiting to sell their house in the UK, it will happen eventually, we left ours for sale and don’t regret making that decision - yet.

I would like to thank all the BE contributors, this is a great site, we did our research on here before arriving and know that has helped us tremendously, you are a friendly bunch both via posts and in real life too.

Sorry for the ramblings, I tried to cover some of the questions we have been asked since we have been here.

Tracy & Jason
Old May 30th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Great news - bet you can't wait! I hope they process your stuff through customs quickly.
Hi Fly, So do we, but we will wait and see what Tuesday brings,

Tracy

Originally Posted by joannesmith79
sorry but what is a 457
A 457 is a Temporary Long Stay Business Visa, my husband was offered a job by an Australian Company and they have sponsored us all to come to Australia. Theres lots of info on here on the pros and cons of a 457.

Tracy