British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   5 years plus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/5-years-plus-775967/)

Margaret3 Oct 28th 2012 1:13 pm

5 years plus

I just wanted to give a pathetically small update!! felt it didn't warrant the update forum:lol:

This is on the back of a particularly great weekend.

This year has definitely been our best, our jobs are going good, we have made a network of friends (who are ozzies, we have seen the expats come and go:ohmy:) (soppily saying i love my ozzie workmates)

Got our finances into some kind of order and that is thanks to some of the whizz kids on here :) Albeit we will never own a house, but we are debt free renters:)

For the first time ever we feel like we wish we had done the whole move when we were younger.

If anyone knows me on here, this is an enormous step as i was totally miserable for the first couple of years, but now beginning to think yeaaaaaah it aint so bad

Our kids are doing well. Just the usual issues. All in all we are lucky:D

Margaret3 Oct 28th 2012 1:23 pm

Re: 5 years plus

But gotta add me bestie mate is from Edinburgh:lol: and end jan this year we will be having another lovely weekend hiring a boat in Lakes entrance.........gee life is tough!!!!!

Cheetah7 Oct 28th 2012 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 10353973)
But gotta add me bestie mate is from Edinburgh:lol: and end jan this year we will be having another lovely weekend hiring a boat in Lakes entrance.........gee life is tough!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Kapri Oct 28th 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 10353957)
I just wanted to give a pathetically small update!! felt it didn't warrant the update forum:lol:

This year has definitely been our best, our jobs are going good, we have made a network of friends (who are ozzies, we have seen the expats come and go:ohmy:) (soppily saying i love my ozzie workmates)

Got our finances into some kind of order and that is thanks to some of the whizz kids on here :) Albeit we will never own a house, but we are debt free renters:)

For the first time ever we feel like we wish we had done the whole move when we were younger.

If anyone knows me on here, this is an enormous step as i was totally miserable for the first couple of years, but now beginning to think yeaaaaaah it aint so bad

This update has made me smile. Really pleased for you M :thumbup:

Hebe Oct 28th 2012 7:43 pm

I have followed your ups and downs over the years and this is a lovely update to read. Glad things are coming together for you :thumbsup:

carolinephillips Oct 28th 2012 8:07 pm

:thumbsup::thumbup::starsmile:

Glad things are on the up for you.:nod:

don544 Oct 28th 2012 9:21 pm

great to see its finally coming together for you all :thumbsup:

Pit Bull. Oct 28th 2012 10:08 pm

Where are you living? Really glad you are enjoying it, give us some more details, pleeeeeeeease. :thumbsup: All the best.

Juliecabs Oct 28th 2012 10:53 pm

Glad things are looking up Margaret. Been a while coming eh? ;)

Long may it last :)

Gibbo Oct 28th 2012 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 10353957)

So glad you finally feel happy to be here. I think I told you many moons ago that it took me 5 years to settle. Now I'm into my 47th year!

So glad that you, finally, feel happy to be here. Think I told you, many moons ago, that it took me 5 years to settle. Now in my 47th with a large extended family.

rasen78 Oct 28th 2012 11:09 pm

Lovely update M. Glad it is working out for you:thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat055 Oct 28th 2012 11:43 pm

Its good to hear it is finally working out for you. Hope the future keeps getting better and better.

Margaret3 Oct 29th 2012 12:29 am

Thanks all for rooting for me (not an appropriate word but its all i could think of:lol:).
Yep Gibbo i remember someone saying it takes 5 years, i may well be posting after my 47th. I do still get homesick but i am beginning to think what have i got to go back to? We have made a life her now and i dare say in another 5 years our life will have gone from strength to strength.

p.s gotta go to apollo bay next weekend where a friend is lending us his farm house for the weekend, as i said life is tough:D and kind ozzie mates are fab!

Sherlock Holmes Oct 29th 2012 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 10354621)
Thanks all for rooting for me (not an appropriate word but its all i could think of:lol:).
Yep Gibbo i remember someone saying it takes 5 years, i may well be posting after my 47th. I do still get homesick but i am beginning to think what have i got to go back to? We have made a life her now and i dare say in another 5 years our life will have gone from strength to strength.

p.s gotta go to apollo bay next weekend where a friend is lending us his farm house for the weekend, as i said life is tough:D and kind ozzie mates are fab!

So happy for you. I'm into my sixth year here and whilst I have been fortunate in the way that I settled in, there's no doubt that things feel more comfortable as time goes by.

I really do feel for people who get here and find that perhaps it's not for them but the five year rule does seem to be a good one.

I can't say that I burnt my bridges on purpose but burn them I did. I have nothing to go back to / for either. I think that sometimes, having a let out is not always the best thing.

I shall have wee drinkie for you tonight! Cheers. :thumbsup:

herrchook Oct 29th 2012 8:02 am

Who are you, and what have you done with Margaret? :lol: Wow, I never ever thought I'd read that post but I'm so so happy for you. It seems like you've turne everything on it's head and I'm chuffed to bits to read that you're so much happier now :D