Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

5 Week Update - Gold Coast

5 Week Update - Gold Coast

Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice
Default 5 Week Update - Gold Coast

Hi All

We, my husband and our two boys aged two and one left Lytham, Lancashire and flew from Manchester to Dubai with Emirates where we had a three night stopover, this is not a place I would ever go again as there is nothing to do and I generally hated everything about it (sorry to be harsh however I really didnt like it - but cameras are cheap in the airport - that was a plus) and then onto Brisbane via Singapore. The flight was fine and the air stewards were great. The children received backpacks filled with toys, even our one year old Ethan received a backpack containing baby wipes, talc and teddy. They also received childrens meals which were great.

At the airport we hired a car for the week and made our way to Crystal Bay Apartment which were small but practical everything you could ever need. The view was fantastic overlooking the Broadwater and then onto Surfers. we could see Seaworld at night.

We purchased a new Kia Sorento (eight thousand pounds cheaper than in the UK) and rented a lovely fully furnished three bedroom house on Parkwood ($450 a week which we paid six months upfront for) all within the first week.

We moved into our (rental) house and my Husband got offered four jobs within a week. He was a Service Manager in the UK however he has taken a position as Saleman for the time being - this is where the money seems to be!

Are two year old Dylan turned three and has started Kindy which he eventually likes after the third time. It is different from the UK, you pay $46 (approx 18 pounds) for the day thats 6.30am to 6.30 pm even if they only go for a couple of hours there is no half days, well not at mine!

Homesickness........ yes you will get it I have, however it passes and Skype is the best invention even made.

What more can I say the weather has been great however the past five days have been really hot and humid but they keep telling me we have entered Autumn (1st March) and Winter will be here soon!

To all of those people in the UK waiting for their Visa to arrived.......be patient it is well worth the wait when you get here.

Wish us and all of you luck.

Paul, Sue, Dylan and Ethan x
Old Mar 8th 2007, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 5 Week Update - Gold Coast

Nice post, glad your enjoying it.

Think i may book them apartments for a week to!

Chris.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:26 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulhill View Post
Hi All

We, my husband and our two boys aged two and one left Lytham, Lancashire and flew from Manchester to Dubai with Emirates where we had a three night stopover, this is not a place I would ever go again as there is nothing to do and I generally hated everything about it (sorry to be harsh however I really didnt like it - but cameras are cheap in the airport - that was a plus) and then onto Brisbane via Singapore. The flight was fine and the air stewards were great. The children received backpacks filled with toys, even our one year old Ethan received a backpack containing baby wipes, talc and teddy. They also received childrens meals which were great.

At the airport we hired a car for the week and made our way to Crystal Bay Apartment which were small but practical everything you could ever need. The view was fantastic overlooking the Broadwater and then onto Surfers. we could see Seaworld at night.

We purchased a new Kia Sorento (eight thousand pounds cheaper than in the UK) and rented a lovely fully furnished three bedroom house on Parkwood ($450 a week which we paid six months upfront for) all within the first week.

We moved into our (rental) house and my Husband got offered four jobs within a week. He was a Service Manager in the UK however he has taken a position as Saleman for the time being - this is where the money seems to be!

Are two year old Dylan turned three and has started Kindy which he eventually likes after the third time. It is different from the UK, you pay $46 (approx 18 pounds) for the day thats 6.30am to 6.30 pm even if they only go for a couple of hours there is no half days, well not at mine!

Homesickness........ yes you will get it I have, however it passes and Skype is the best invention even made.

What more can I say the weather has been great however the past five days have been really hot and humid but they keep telling me we have entered Autumn (1st March) and Winter will be here soon!

To all of those people in the UK waiting for their Visa to arrived.......be patient it is well worth the wait when you get here.

Glad to hear your enjoying life on the Gold Coast.We've also been here for 5 weeks and loving it.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:00 pm
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold

lovely post, keep enjoying life in aus

tracey & stevex
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear that you're settling in so well Thanks for the update
Old Mar 9th 2007, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

sharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the rough

Hi All

Hi there great to see youve settled in My hubby is in sales and marketing 25 years experience and was wondering what the job opportunities are really like.What are the wages like also?
I intend to do agency nursing so that I have at least some spare time. We are looking for and area to live which has a college for my 16 year as well as a nice gym etc any suggestions? Does your hubby work in the city or the suburbs?

Sharon
Old Mar 9th 2007, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

James and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to all

Hi All

Sooooo glad you are enjoying the Gold Coast we will be joining you very soon. We found holiday North Apts at Surfers excellent on our last reccy. Cynthia the manager is extremely helpful and is more than happy to provide storage for stuff in under ground garage area.
Ali
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris96 View Post
Nice post, glad your enjoying it.

Think i may book them apartments for a week to!

Chris.

Hi, the apartments are not modern or really big however they are clean and the view is fantastic.

If you need any help or would like me to look for somewhere else for you to stay ie. cheaper, bigger etc please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers Sue
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brido View Post
Glad to hear your enjoying life on the Gold Coast.We've also been here for 5 weeks and loving it.

Hi, just read your fantastic update. Did you go to the girls expats meeting at Pacific Pines last Thursday? I was there.

Wish you all best and keep in touch.

Sue
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by James and Alison View Post
Sooooo glad you are enjoying the Gold Coast we will be joining you very soon. We found holiday North Apts at Surfers excellent on our last reccy. Cynthia the manager is extremely helpful and is more than happy to provide storage for stuff in under ground garage area.
Ali
Thanks to everyone for wishing us luck and wish you all the best for the future.

Thanks Sue
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Great post, hope to be on the Gold Coast ourselves sometime soon , long may it continue.

Lynn
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Great to hear how quickly you have settled in! We are heading over to the GC as soon as our house sale completes & can't wait to be posting our first '5 weeks in' thread. How easy did you find renting a place out there, we've had loads of different views on this, all different!
Glad to hear work was easily found too, I work in sales over here & am considering a change of direction in Oz but its good to know it pays well- it's given me something to think about.

Looking forward to your next post

Sam & Est
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Marvellous, pleased for you all.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sambo76 View Post
Great to hear how quickly you have settled in! We are heading over to the GC as soon as our house sale completes & can't wait to be posting our first '5 weeks in' thread. How easy did you find renting a place out there, we've had loads of different views on this, all different!
Glad to hear work was easily found too, I work in sales over here & am considering a change of direction in Oz but its good to know it pays well- it's given me something to think about.

Looking forward to your next post

Sam & Est

Hi, we found renting easy however I believe it can be hard. We were very lucky we only looked at one house and we are living in it. Our problem was that we needed a furnished property as we sold our furniture in the UK to my Brother. If you need any help then please do not hesitate to contact me. Anything, house renting and prices or just somewhere to stay when you first arrive. I wish you luck with your house sale.

Sue, Paul, Dylan and Ethan
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we found renting easy however I believe it can be hard. We were very lucky we only looked at one house and we are living in it. Our problem was that we needed a furnished property as we sold our furniture in the UK to my Brother. If you need any help then please do not hesitate to contact me. Anything, house renting and prices or just somewhere to stay when you first arrive. I wish you luck with your house sale.

Sue, Paul, Dylan and Ethan
THANKS GUYS!
We will probably want furnished too as we are getting rid of all our worldly possessions too.
We will definately need some info nearer the time I reckon... did you do anything about sourcing properties or contacting estate agents whilst still in the UK?

Cheers,
Sam & Est

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.