Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

4th YEAR UPDATE as promised

4th YEAR UPDATE as promised

Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:35 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4th YEAR UPDATE as promised

Hi Lesley hows you.

As Gill says we leave in January on the 6th finally was suppossed to leave in May but my mum became ill so we held off a little, but now the time is here

cant believe its our turn hope everythings good with you xx
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:33 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wardy2
Hi Lesley hows you.

As Gill says we leave in January on the 6th finally was suppossed to leave in May but my mum became ill so we held off a little, but now the time is here

cant believe its our turn hope everythings good with you xx
hi kaye,
we left 16 months ago cant believe it was that long ago when we first started talking , im so pleased that its nearly your turn, bet your getting so excited and very busy too i guess, the 6th jan will be here before you know it hon
lesley x
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:06 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
...brought dried marrowfat peas back with me from the UK, customs staff didn't know what they were, no surprises there eh...
Careful or you'll end up on Ch7's "Border Security" as a bit of variation from the "Chinese person bringing in strange unidentified plant matter" sgement.

....maximimum penalty (from AQIS website): "imprisonment for 10 years or a fine of 2,000 penalty units, or both".... Can you afford 10yrs and $2000 just to get mushy peas?
Old Dec 19th 2008, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Careful or you'll end up on Ch7's "Border Security" as a bit of variation from the "Chinese person bringing in strange unidentified plant matter" sgement.

....maximimum penalty (from AQIS website): "imprisonment for 10 years or a fine of 2,000 penalty units, or both".... Can you afford 10yrs and $2000 just to get mushy peas?
You are taking the piss right? I watch 'border security' on ch7 all the time and unlike many Chinese or Japnese passengers, WE DECLARED EVERYTHING THAT WE BROUGHT BACK WITH US FROM THE UK! (which wasn't a lot again, unlike them) A few bars of chocolate, some well known sweets, and of course, the dried peas! I only brought them thru because I know many other expats you have done the same. If the officer on duty on the day we arrived did not know what they were and wanted to confiscate them, then so be it, but what you are suggesting is just ridiculous! We declared it all which is what a lot of people DONT do, then you can get into real trouble even for a bar of chocolate and where would that leave most of the expats that make regular trips back to the UK just to get their 'fix' of all their favs and then bring some back to OZ?

On the progs I have seen rerading the above nationalities, they bring back the most obscure stuff you have ever seen in your life and also enough of it to feed the 5,000! I hardly think you can compare the few things we brought back with us from our UK visit as anything like that!

I value the rules of Australia and would not do anything to go against their policies regarding what they allow in thru customs. What really annoys me abt the above mentioned is that they pretend they dont understand English and cannot read the customs declaration form saying they must declare anything they bring back in to Australia - load of ball! Total excuse just to try and get away with the penalties! I dont take kindly to being compared to such people.

So, I will take it as if you were def taking the piss and not being serious! I dont know you as a poster on here although I have been a member for abt 5 years but stopped posting on BE for many reasons, one of them being an answer like yours after making an innocent joke on my 4yr update thread! I rest my case - where has the fun gone.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:42 am

You are taking the piss right? I watch 'border security' on ch7 all the time and unlike many Chinese or Japnese passengers, WE DECLARED EVERYTHING THAT WE BROUGHT BACK WITH US FROM THE UK! (which wasn't a lot again, unlike them) A few bars of chocolate, some well known sweets, and of course, the dried peas! I only brought them thru because I know many other expats you have done the same. If the officer on duty on the day we arrived did not know what they were and wanted to confiscate them, then so be it, but what you are suggesting is just ridiculous! We declared it all which is what a lot of people DONT do, then you can get into real trouble even for a bar of chocolate and where would that leave most of the expats that make regular trips back to the UK just to get their 'fix' of all their favs and then bring some back to OZ?

On the progs I have seen rerading the above nationalities, they bring back the most obscure stuff you have ever seen in your life and also enough of it to feed the 5,000! I hardly think you can compare the few things we brought back with us from our UK visit as anything like that!

I value the rules of Australia and would not do anything to go against their policies regarding what they allow in thru customs. What really annoys me abt the above mentioned is that they pretend they dont understand English and cannot read the customs declaration form saying they must declare anything they bring back in to Australia - load of ball! Total excuse just to try and get away with the penalties! I dont take kindly to being compared to such people.

So, I will take it as if you were def taking the piss and not being serious! I dont know you as a poster on here although I have been a member for abt 5 years but stopped posting on BE for many reasons, one of them being an answer like yours after making an innocent joke on my 4yr update thread! I rest my case - where has the fun gone.
i miss mushy peas the real i am mushy peas mmmmmmmm cannot believe you would get 10 years in prison for bringing them in surely they cannot be an unpermitted food for god sake !!!
lesley xx
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Well Lesley, as you can see by my long reply, I dont think so! Like I said, I hope the poster was taking the piss! Anyway, after at least 18 months, I have again found the Australian version of 'Dried Peas'!! A company called 'McKenzies of Victoria' produce them and they are available in one of our local IGA stores - they are not the same as the UK ones no way, but, better than none at all

Heres to good old fashioned British Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas Or egg, chips and mushy peas, or a pork roast with mushy peas etc etc etc

Have a good weekend everybody, its Christmas next week

Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our Coles does UK tinned Marrowfat Peas sometimes. If you want some give me a shout and I'll empty the shelves for you Not the same as having dried and doing it yourself I know but.....
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:51 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

read the post a bit more carefully next time she didn't sneak them in she declared them!! she said customs didn't know what they were ie she declared them
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:08 pm

Well Lesley, as you can see by my long reply, I dont think so! Like I said, I hope the poster was taking the piss! Anyway, after at least 18 months, I have again found the Australian version of 'Dried Peas'!! A company called 'McKenzies of Victoria' produce them and they are available in one of our local IGA stores - they are not the same as the UK ones no way, but, better than none at all

Heres to good old fashioned British Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas Or egg, chips and mushy peas, or a pork roast with mushy peas etc etc etc

Have a good weekend everybody, its Christmas next week

i made a pan of home made broth and soup dumplings last week now that reminds me of uk xmas time mmmmm kids emptied the pan in less than 12 hours, but i must admit they also love fish chips n mushy peas lol
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:49 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

it would be a bit hard to bring fish and chips back
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:50 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, 4 yrs already and I promised last year to do a quick (he he) update

Most of you probably dont even know who I am, but for those of you who do...........and those of you who are interested................

Apart from, still loving it in beautiful Cairns - had our first visit back to the UK in June this year. It was fantastic catching up with both our families and dear friends who we miss so much, very emotional indeed As for St Austell, the town in Cornwall where we lived well, seeing that place again just confirmed to us that we had definately made the right decision to emigrate! Enough said!

Have met many more BE members and other expats who have now arrived in sunny Cairns, had a few expat meet ups which have been a great way for people to chat and share their experiences. Social life is ace at the moment and long may it last!

Big change for me in October this year, I have my own car - YES Abt time really! It was a matter of, its now or never as getting too old to fart around lol! Its brill cause now I can enjoy Cairns even more and do lots more shopping which drives Bix MAD Anything that annoys Bix is good to me, cause he annoys the hell out of me - only kidding

Our two sons Mark 22 and Nathan 20 are still both in full time employment and doing very well in their jobs - means a lot to us! Nathan passed his test and bought his first car end of last year so all of us can drive now - all good!

We love the house and area we live in (Redlynch) and hope to be here for a few more years. There is always something that blows us away, scenery, wildlife, weather, the beer he he he! Thats one thing that has really changed for me, I drink beer now and not wine mainly cause in the tropics its essential to have a long cool drink (not that it lasts any longer than a sml glass of wine) Bring it on thats what I say!! Actually, I think I will be naughty and have one now - why not, the sun is shining its hot and steamy - lovely! Now wheres that cool beer????

The thing is in Cairns you can enjoy a day out without spending too much money and without driving too far so it doesn't matter what your budget is! There are a lot of 'free' things to do especially if you have younger children. BBQ's at most of the beaches, and then there is the Esplanade with more free bbqs, play areas for kids etc. A really good day out for families.

To end, it was def the right choice for us, we live in a beautiful part of Australia and feel very privaliged, we are very happy and making the most of our new lives down under, it remains a from us after 4 yrs!!!

Merry Christmas everybody, have a good one! I will be cooking a traditional turkey roast on Christmas day, gotta keep bixie happy Forgot to say, with lovely mushy peas YES!!!!!! (brought dried marrowfat peas back with me from the UK, customs staff didn't know what they were, no surprises there eh)!!!

Take care
Gill
loved you update, but you can shove yir peas
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by soapy
loved you update, but you can shove yir peas
heh soapy i take it by that it means you dont like mushy peas lol
lesley x
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:37 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by snow-white
heh soapy i take it by that it means you dont like mushy peas lol
lesley x
nope!
but i do like Gill and if she thinks shes gettin mushy pea at my hoose she had better think again
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:15 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

it would be a bit hard to bring fish and chips back
I think a few people on the morning train were trying today

They could of least added vinegar to take away the fishy/manky smell (or was that just my socks???)
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:31 am

nope!
but i do like Gill and if she thinks shes gettin mushy pea at my hoose she had better think again
u mean no mushy peas at your famous new years eve party? lol poor gill wayne and julie after pie and mash with liquor sauce
lesley x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.