Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

4th YEAR UPDATE as promised

4th YEAR UPDATE as promised

Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4th YEAR UPDATE as promised

Yes, 4 yrs already and I promised last year to do a quick (he he) update

Most of you probably dont even know who I am, but for those of you who do...........and those of you who are interested................

Apart from, still loving it in beautiful Cairns - had our first visit back to the UK in June this year. It was fantastic catching up with both our families and dear friends who we miss so much, very emotional indeed As for St Austell, the town in Cornwall where we lived well, seeing that place again just confirmed to us that we had definately made the right decision to emigrate! Enough said!

Have met many more BE members and other expats who have now arrived in sunny Cairns, had a few expat meet ups which have been a great way for people to chat and share their experiences. Social life is ace at the moment and long may it last!

Big change for me in October this year, I have my own car - YES Abt time really! It was a matter of, its now or never as getting too old to fart around lol! Its brill cause now I can enjoy Cairns even more and do lots more shopping which drives Bix MAD Anything that annoys Bix is good to me, cause he annoys the hell out of me - only kidding

Our two sons Mark 22 and Nathan 20 are still both in full time employment and doing very well in their jobs - means a lot to us! Nathan passed his test and bought his first car end of last year so all of us can drive now - all good!

We love the house and area we live in (Redlynch) and hope to be here for a few more years. There is always something that blows us away, scenery, wildlife, weather, the beer he he he! Thats one thing that has really changed for me, I drink beer now and not wine mainly cause in the tropics its essential to have a long cool drink (not that it lasts any longer than a sml glass of wine) Bring it on thats what I say!! Actually, I think I will be naughty and have one now - why not, the sun is shining its hot and steamy - lovely! Now wheres that cool beer????

The thing is in Cairns you can enjoy a day out without spending too much money and without driving too far so it doesn't matter what your budget is! There are a lot of 'free' things to do especially if you have younger children. BBQ's at most of the beaches, and then there is the Esplanade with more free bbqs, play areas for kids etc. A really good day out for families.

To end, it was def the right choice for us, we live in a beautiful part of Australia and feel very privaliged, we are very happy and making the most of our new lives down under, it remains a from us after 4 yrs!!!

Merry Christmas everybody, have a good one! I will be cooking a traditional turkey roast on Christmas day, gotta keep bixie happy Forgot to say, with lovely mushy peas YES!!!!!! (brought dried marrowfat peas back with me from the UK, customs staff didn't know what they were, no surprises there eh)!!!

Take care
Gill

Last edited by Bix da Boss; Dec 11th 2008 at 1:17 am.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 4th YEAR UPDATE as promised

Congratulations! I loved Cairns when i was there, I loved watching the birds and the fruit bats! wonderful!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:14 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Glad to hear you're still enjoying Cairns.....hope to make it up there next year but then I said that this year as well
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Congratulations! I loved Cairns when i was there, I loved watching the birds and the fruit bats! wonderful!
I know what you mean And thanks!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The A Team
Great update Glad to hear you're still enjoying Cairns.....hope to make it up there next year but then I said that this year as well
Thanks
I know, its like that eh! Where does the year go! We will have to catch up if you do make it to Cairns in 2009 We would like to go to Magnetic Island again so you might see is in Townsville sometime! Only got as far as beautiful Mission Beach this year - awesome

Take care
Gill
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi hon. Great update. Looking forward to seeing you both next year
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:34 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great update Congratulations on 4 years!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Great update guys. Hoping to get up to Cairns some time within the next decade to see my kid brother.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

simon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss

Most of you probably dont even know who I am, but for those of you who do...........and those of you who are interested................

Apart from, still loving it in beautiful Cairns - had our first visit back to the UK in June this year. It was fantastic catching up with both our families and dear friends who we miss so much, very emotional indeed As for St Austell, the town in Cornwall where we lived well, seeing that place again just confirmed to us that we had definately made the right decision to emigrate! Enough said!

Have met many more BE members and other expats who have now arrived in sunny Cairns, had a few expat meet ups which have been a great way for people to chat and share their experiences. Social life is ace at the moment and long may it last!

Big change for me in October this year, I have my own car - YES Abt time really! It was a matter of, its now or never as getting too old to fart around lol! Its brill cause now I can enjoy Cairns even more and do lots more shopping which drives Bix MAD Anything that annoys Bix is good to me, cause he annoys the hell out of me - only kidding

Our two sons Mark 22 and Nathan 20 are still both in full time employment and doing very well in their jobs - means a lot to us! Nathan passed his test and bought his first car end of last year so all of us can drive now - all good!

We love the house and area we live in (Redlynch) and hope to be here for a few more years. There is always something that blows us away, scenery, wildlife, weather, the beer he he he! Thats one thing that has really changed for me, I drink beer now and not wine mainly cause in the tropics its essential to have a long cool drink (not that it lasts any longer than a sml glass of wine) Bring it on thats what I say!! Actually, I think I will be naughty and have one now - why not, the sun is shining its hot and steamy - lovely! Now wheres that cool beer????

The thing is in Cairns you can enjoy a day out without spending too much money and without driving too far so it doesn't matter what your budget is! There are a lot of 'free' things to do especially if you have younger children. BBQ's at most of the beaches, and then there is the Esplanade with more free bbqs, play areas for kids etc. A really good day out for families.

To end, it was def the right choice for us, we live in a beautiful part of Australia and feel very privaliged, we are very happy and making the most of our new lives down under, it remains a from us after 4 yrs!!!

Merry Christmas everybody, have a good one! I will be cooking a traditional turkey roast on Christmas day, gotta keep bixie happy Forgot to say, with lovely mushy peas YES!!!!!! (brought dried marrowfat peas back with me from the UK, customs staff didn't know what they were, no surprises there eh)!!!

Take care
Gill
great update! just on our way to cairns and saying good bye to people here so its great to hear the benifits of moving!!! we arrive on the 6th of Feb whens the next meet up??
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:20 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Gill hope we will be as happy as you and the lion are.

speak soon

oh and see you soon yayyy xxxxx
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:10 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wardy2
Great update Gill hope we will be as happy as you and the lion are.

speak soon

oh and see you soon yayyy xxxxx
hi there hows you long time no speak when do finally leave newcastle?
lesley x
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:13 am

Take care
Gill
hi gill,
fantastic catch up post glad you and your family knew it was the right decision for you all and pleased everything going so well
all the best for the future
lesley xxxxx
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Everyone

Thank you for your replies to my 4th year update! It was quite brief really, but glad you found it interesting!

We will see some of you in 2009 at the next Cairns expat meet up Dont worry guys, we haven't forgotten you and there will be another one! Yes Penny cya in the Gold Coast Jan 09 - cant wait!!

Thanks again and good luck to all of you

Take care
Gill and Bixie
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snow-white
hi there hows you long time no speak when do finally leave newcastle?
lesley x

Wardy is arriving in January - watch out Cairns

Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:46 am

Wardy is arriving in January - watch out Cairns

thanks gill, spoke to wardy2 before we left newcastle 16 months ago and a few times on here when im on , just wondered when she gets here
lesley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.