Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Old May 7th 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Stu,

The first 6 months can be a killer, I know I missed my son loads especially at first (well I still miss him loads now, but I'm getting used to it). It's one of the downsides of emigrating isn't it?

I hope it all works out for you whatever you finally decide.
Cheers Wendy,

Hopefully we can also grow to cope with missing family etc and we can then happily remain in Australia, we're going to give it a good shot anyway!
Old May 7th 2007, 2:37 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Wafc,
Can I just say that I wish you all the best now that you have decided to stay in Oz (or if you decide to return here again).
We stayed over there for just 3 months but things just didn't turn out the way we had hoped and we spent nearly 2 years researching before we went out there. But no amount of research prepares you for the reality of it all.
There are a few reasons why we came home again and so many people (on BE and here at home) thought we were mad for "not giving it long enough".
But it was the right thing for my family and only we know how we were feeling. Don't let anyone tell you you are doing the wrong thing. You make the decision for yourselves.
We too thought that Oz was going to be better for our 3 teenage kids, but when we told them we were coming home their faces lit up and they are so happy to be back here. My eldest daughter has just landed her dream job, and is looking forward to spending her 18th birthday next Saturday with all her friends and our family. My 17 year old son is working at the moment but starts college in September. He spends so much time with his mates (and a new girlfriend ) that we don't see a lot of him. My 15 year old daughter is doing so well back at her old school it's like she never left in the first place
So while this country has a lot of bad points (like many countries), this is the right place to be. If my kids are happy then so are we. And we still have just under 4 years left on our PR visas. If any of the kids decide to go back and live in Oz in that time then they can. I would never stop them.
Just go with your own instincts. You'll make the right decision.

Good luck to you all.

Julie. x
Old May 7th 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much Julie,

I know exactly what you mean about the UK, I love the place in so many ways and I know that children can be very happy and safe there, I know that I had a great childhood in the UK and it could very well be the place where we decide to have a family.

Hopefully this hol will help us with our decision anyway.

I'm glad that you're enjoying your time again back in the UK.

Stu
Old May 7th 2007, 6:57 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafc
Well we've now changed our minds for the millionth and hopefully last time!! lol. We're now just going back to the UK for a hol, so we'll be coming back to Perth! Hopefully the hol will help us to decide for certain where we'd rather be and I do want to at least get citizenship and see how we feel at the 2 year mark. We do like Australia a lot and I personally feel it probably is a slightly better/safer country to bring up children in, but missing family and friends etc and having them around you also means a great deal.

At least doing it this way we wont regret shipping all of our stuff back etc if we'd made the wrong decision!!

All the best to those people who are still deciding etc, its not easy!

Stu
I am pleased Stu.......i think your doing the right thing

It's been a typical British Bank holiday today......pissing down and everywhere packed. Just one day home and i am sure you will be begging to go back to Oz.

Good luck and keep us posted
Old May 8th 2007, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Issie
I am pleased Stu.......i think your doing the right thing

It's been a typical British Bank holiday today......pissing down and everywhere packed. Just one day home and i am sure you will be begging to go back to Oz.

Good luck and keep us posted
Cheers Issie,

I'm still feeling better about things now that we know we are returning here and I'm looking forward to our hol in the UK (although we only get 10 days there as we're going to Cyprus for a week as well to attend a wedding!).

Good luck with your move over.
Old May 8th 2007, 2:46 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Issie,

I'm still feeling better about things now that we know we are returning here and I'm looking forward to our hol in the UK (although we only get 10 days there as we're going to Cyprus for a week as well to attend a wedding!).

Good luck with your move over.
I wish you well in your decision regarding moving back to the Uk - it can't be easy. It hopefully will make the process clearer after your trip back (though try not to view the holiday back to the UK with the same specs we all wear before emigrating )

Gillian
Old May 8th 2007, 3:13 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Good decision I reckon Stu. At least it'll only cost you another one way fare if you do decide to go back eventually rather than thousands of dollars if you go back and decide that was the wrong move. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Lou
xx
Old May 8th 2007, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers Gillian & Lou,

I'll try to not have the rose tinted specs on when back in the UK!

Hopefully we'll come back and our decision to stay in Oz will be confirmed as correct.
Old May 8th 2007, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Gillian & Lou,

Hopefully we'll come back and our decision to stay in Oz will be confirmed as correct.
Hi WAFC

Good decision going back on holiday. I really empathise, its a hard decision isnt it. definately better to go and see than to ship everything back though and then go, ooops!
Hope you know one way or the other once there. It is a total head spin isnt it - the stay or go?

I'm thinking of doing the same, going back for a visit to see how I feel. Fingers crossed I will just know for sure this time.

Enjoy......

T
Old May 8th 2007, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Hi WAFC

Good decision going back on holiday. I really empathise, its a hard decision isnt it. definately better to go and see than to ship everything back though and then go, ooops!
Hope you know one way or the other once there. It is a total head spin isnt it - the stay or go?

I'm thinking of doing the same, going back for a visit to see how I feel. Fingers crossed I will just know for sure this time.

Enjoy......

T
Thanks,

It certainly is a head spin! I dont think we've known whether we were coming or going over the last couple of months!!

Good luck with your visit too if you do go back for a hol, I hope it helps us both to decide for certain one way or the other.
Old May 8th 2007, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

It certainly is a head spin! I dont think we've known whether we were coming or going over the last couple of months!!

Good luck with your visit too if you do go back for a hol, I hope it helps us both to decide for certain one way or the other.
Cant believe having pinged am going through the whole ? again.
keep looking at pics of UK countryside just to torture myself.

Trying (unsuccesfully I may add) to not dwell on it
Old May 8th 2007, 5:51 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Well we've now changed our minds for the millionth and hopefully last time!! lol. We're now just going back to the UK for a hol, so we'll be coming back to Perth! Hopefully the hol will help us to decide for certain where we'd rather be and I do want to at least get citizenship and see how we feel at the 2 year mark. We do like Australia a lot and I personally feel it probably is a slightly better/safer country to bring up children in, but missing family and friends etc and having them around you also means a great deal.

At least doing it this way we wont regret shipping all of our stuff back etc if we'd made the wrong decision!!

All the best to those people who are still deciding etc, its not easy!

Stu
its great to hear someone who is struggling not bashing australia.
u did u what wanted to do and thought it out. i do like the sound of your plans
good luck guys
you deserve it
Old May 8th 2007, 5:54 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Wafc,
Can I just say that I wish you all the best now that you have decided to stay in Oz (or if you decide to return here again).
We stayed over there for just 3 months but things just didn't turn out the way we had hoped and we spent nearly 2 years researching before we went out there. But no amount of research prepares you for the reality of it all.
There are a few reasons why we came home again and so many people (on BE and here at home) thought we were mad for "not giving it long enough".
But it was the right thing for my family and only we know how we were feeling. Don't let anyone tell you you are doing the wrong thing. You make the decision for yourselves.
We too thought that Oz was going to be better for our 3 teenage kids, but when we told them we were coming home their faces lit up and they are so happy to be back here. My eldest daughter has just landed her dream job, and is looking forward to spending her 18th birthday next Saturday with all her friends and our family. My 17 year old son is working at the moment but starts college in September. He spends so much time with his mates (and a new girlfriend ) that we don't see a lot of him. My 15 year old daughter is doing so well back at her old school it's like she never left in the first place
So while this country has a lot of bad points (like many countries), this is the right place to be. If my kids are happy then so are we. And we still have just under 4 years left on our PR visas. If any of the kids decide to go back and live in Oz in that time then they can. I would never stop them.
Just go with your own instincts. You'll make the right decision.

Good luck to you all.

Julie. x
again julie u come up with a top post!
im really pleased to hear the family have settled. i knew u would anyway. u knew from day one it just wasnt right for you all
nice to read one of your "smashin" posts again mate. i wish more put as much thought into posting on this type of thread
Old May 8th 2007, 6:49 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Gillian & Lou,

I hope so for you lot. Being so unsettled is an awful feeling .
Old May 8th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by soapy
its great to hear someone who is struggling not bashing australia.
u did u what wanted to do and thought it out. i do like the sound of your plans
good luck guys
you deserve it
Cheers Soapy,

I always enjoy reading your "verbal pish" too (as you put it), always entertaining!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.