British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/4-months-perth-going-home-after-6-months-443283/)

wafc Apr 19th 2007 4:36 am

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Like a few other members of the forum I'm also going back home to the UK, in June.

It was hard work, stressful and costly moving to Perth from the UK and it will be similar going back but we all feel the need to be close to friends and family and just to be back in England in general.

I dont really have a bad word to say against Australia (apart from maybe the house prices as we couldn't afford anything), its a lovely place and I think its a great place to bring up children but like others have said, I could spend a few months at a time here but I dont think we could live here permanently. I would've liked to have tried Adelaide but we can always visit there in the future.

I've no doubt we'll have many regrets about returning and will have fond memories of the Australian lifestyle. I may also regret not sticking it out for 2years to enable me to return in the future but we have 5 years in which to make up the 2 year residency in Australia so it can always be done if we feel the need to, but I dont think we will. At this point I'd rather spend those 2 years in the UK.

If this experience has taught me one thing its that I will look on the UK differently and I will appreciate the things we have there such as friends and family etc.

Now that we're off we have 3 cars to sell so if anyone's interested please see the links in my signature below for details.

Good luck to all those going through this process, wherever in the world you may be. :)

acbh2 Apr 20th 2007 10:05 pm

Re: 4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

An honest from the heart post! Hope the UK has what it is your looking for. Like you say now you've been away you can appreciate what you had. Good Luck for the future:)

Andreaxx

Weasy Apr 20th 2007 11:37 pm

I've said it already as you know but I'd like to wish both of you all the best. Good luck mate.;)

Lou
xx

wafc Apr 21st 2007 2:24 am

Thanks guys,

We're looking forward to going home although we're a little sad at leaving Australia as well.

All the best with your journeys. :)

tani Apr 21st 2007 2:36 am

Hi

Best of best of luck going home. I hope all works out for you.
I went back, did over a year and then like a yo yo came back to Oz again

All the best

least ur in time for summer:) :) :)

Jad-2006 Apr 21st 2007 5:23 pm

Hi mate,

Sorry to hear things aren't working out. The last time we hear from you things were going really well. Sometime's that's the way the cookie crumbles and you just have to go with your gut feeling.
At least you gave it a shot, so you won't be saying what if in the future.

Julie and Dave

s-jmelbournewannabe Apr 21st 2007 9:50 pm

just an ide, but you thought of going to adelaide first before uk, would be a lot cheaper!!! The homesickness could pass too...

Sorry, but if you can afford 3 cars and to risk going back to uk to return, how can you not afford a house?? :unsure:

if you return to uk, hope it makes you happy and is not a waste of your cash........

Good luck with what you decide..

S-j x

soapy© Apr 22nd 2007 1:06 am

Originally Posted by wafc (Post 4665101)
Like a few other members of the forum I'm also going back home to the UK, in June.

It was hard work, stressful and costly moving to Perth from the UK and it will be similar going back but we all feel the need to be close to friends and family and just to be back in England in general.

I dont really have a bad word to say against Australia (apart from maybe the house prices as we couldn't afford anything), its a lovely place and I think its a great place to bring up children but like others have said, I could spend a few months at a time here but I dont think we could live here permanently. I would've liked to have tried Adelaide but we can always visit there in the future.

I've no doubt we'll have many regrets about returning and will have fond memories of the Australian lifestyle. I may also regret not sticking it out for 2years to enable me to return in the future but we have 5 years in which to make up the 2 year residency in Australia so it can always be done if we feel the need to, but I dont think we will. At this point I'd rather spend those 2 years in the UK.

If this experience has taught me one thing its that I will look on the UK differently and I will appreciate the things we have there such as friends and family etc.

Now that we're off we have 3 cars to sell so if anyone's interested please see the links in my signature below for details.

Good luck to all those going through this process, wherever in the world you may be. :)

FANTASTIC post!:thumbup: if only others put as much thought into posting before typing, the forum would be a much better place!
i really hope it all works out for you guys
all the best

soapy:)

wafc Apr 22nd 2007 2:27 am

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe (Post 4678671)
Sorry, but if you can afford 3 cars and to risk going back to uk to return, how can you not afford a house?? :unsure:

S-j x

We can't afford 3 cars actually, all 3 cars aren't mine, my parents are over here on a tourist visa and one is theirs, they will also be helping out with the shipping costs back to the UK, so believe me when I say that we can't afford a house over here. If you fancy trying to be able to afford a house in Perth when you're first time buyers with no capital then by all means you're welcome to come and try!

Its easy for people back in the UK to say do this or do that etc but until you're actually over here and living here you will never know if its right for you or if you'll want to be back home.

wafc Apr 22nd 2007 2:28 am

Originally Posted by soapy (Post 4679221)
FANTASTIC post!:thumbup: if only others put as much thought into posting before typing, the forum would be a much better place!
all the best

Thanks Soapy,

Going back to the UK will certainly make us decide one way or the other but I doubt we'll want to leave family and friends again.

:)

soapy© Apr 22nd 2007 2:58 am

Originally Posted by wafc (Post 4679297)
Thanks Soapy,

Going back to the UK will certainly make us decide one way or the other but I doubt we'll want to leave family and friends again.

:)

again, u will never know until you try.
i do like your out look in life, u do deserve any luck you can get.
good luck with the cars:)

bridie Apr 22nd 2007 3:13 am

Sorry to read you're going back, but you have to do what's right for you and your family.

Good luck back in Blighty :)

franngav Apr 22nd 2007 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by wafc (Post 4665101)

Hi there,

Thanks for your post.
We're heading off to Perth in a few months and possibly seeing it all through rose tinted glasses a bit .
Hope it all works out for you wherever and whatever you decide on.

Fran ,Gav ,Em and Sam

s-jmelbournewannabe Apr 22nd 2007 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by soapy (Post 4679221)
all the best

:eek: sorry if we offended you guys, didn't mean for it to sound harsh, just came over in your thread that you had 3 cars but couldnt afford a dep. on a house... Makes sense now, sorry again if offended you, i had a couple of drinks last nite and when if read again tonight did sound a bit off........... soz.

hope it all works out for you though, whatever you decide, gotta do whats needed.

We will be coming over in Dec, but to Bris and wont have much cash in the pot either, so know the score. We wont be able to afford to come back, might have to sail in a boat we made.....

I guess what i was trying to say was, to possibly try Adelaide before you come back if you can.. you might feel different????

good luck anyway,

S-j and Si x

shade8 Apr 22nd 2007 10:52 pm

I think you are crazy to be packing up already 4 months is nothing to make a deceision most people will not of settled.Did you not do your homework before leaving the UK on house prices etc?
The average home now for anyone coming is $550000 so not cheap.
The friends come with time but you have to make the effort.Did you have jobs?People should also realise wages are a lot lower than the UK.

Good luck.