Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:32 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Originally Posted by lozza1
Hi I have not posted on here before but am interested in whats being said about returning to UK. We have been here for a year now and although I enjoy the lifestyle and the sunshine I miss family and goods friends. I find it frustrating when I feel fed up and want to talk that everyone is in bed. We have bought a house but I think the cost of living here in Perth is going through the roof and we seem to be forever counting the dollars & cents. We have decided to stick it out a bit longer but I worry that we are also going to disrupt our eldest childs education re: exams etc if we don't make up our minds what to do.( He is 14, in yr 9). Has anyone gone back with older children, he has not fully settled and would happily get on a plane tomorrow. Then I worry if we don't make up our mind soon he might settle and not want to return even if we do !!! Oh the joys of life !!!!! Any advice will be much appreciated.
theres a moving back to the uk forum, u might get a better answer there
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lozza1
I miss family and goods friends.
Have you made any good friends here?

I think that's what made it hard for me in the early days, I didnt have any friends and felt quite lonely, I was working from home all day every day and OH was out at work getting to know his colleagues.

It doesnt take long to make good friends and it makes the whole world of difference. Of course, you dont just forget about your old friends or your family but it does really help.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

I have 2 friends one went back n forth 3 times cried for 12 months but settled.All the people we know those that couldn't settle and kept flying back for holidays it didn't help as you would be here for 8 months go on holiday come back unsettled again,etc etc.Thousands of dollars later they have now settled.
Lots do settle straight away and it must be awful not to but every man and his dog misses family and friends and freinds cannot be replaced over 4 month period.Jobs won't be found that you really want,kids won't of settled and made friends it all takes time.
Its a shame you couldn't do the 2 Years as then you can say you gave it your best shot.But good luck what ever you deceide.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shade8
I have 2 friends one went back n forth 3 times cried for 12 months but settled.All the people we know those that couldn't settle and kept flying back for holidays it didn't help as you would be here for 8 months go on holiday come back unsettled again,etc etc.Thousands of dollars later they have now settled.
Lots do settle straight away and it must be awful not to but every man and his dog misses family and friends and freinds cannot be replaced over 4 month period.Jobs won't be found that you really want,kids won't of settled and made friends it all takes time.
Its a shame you couldn't do the 2 Years as then you can say you gave it your best shot.But good luck what ever you deceide.
Even if we do go home after the 6 months, I will still be able to say that we gave it our best shot, you dont need to do 2 years for that! The only reason anybody mentions 2 years is because thats when you can keep hold of your permanent residency or apply for citizenship, it doesn't take 2 years to know where you want to be.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:49 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafc
Even if we do go home after the 6 months, I will still be able to say that we gave it our best shot, you dont need to do 2 years for that! The only reason anybody mentions 2 years is because thats when you can keep hold of your permanent residency or apply for citizenship, it doesn't take 2 years to know where you want to be.
Your right ,it doesnt take two years to realise wether you want to be here .
A mate of mine was here on a migration visa in 1992 and went home after 48 hours and he has never regretted it ..Good luck for you in the future
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:47 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

It is the worst thing leaving family back in the UK and don't wish it upon anyone but they knew what they were doing before they came.
It takes 1-2 years to settle and 4 month s is not giving it ago thats just like a long holiday.If in 18 months still feel the same you can then say you gave it your best shot.
I felt awful from day 1 in Perth and knew that it would never be home - we stayed 2 years and as time went on the homesickness got worse not better.

It's not the length of time you spend in a place that governs if you've given it 'long enough' to settle, it's the depth and strength of how you feel and how it affects your life, the OP is doing what is right for him/her and I daresay no amount of time will change that - if you ever go into the 'moving back to the UK' forum you will find people that have been in Oz a lot longer than 1-2 years and are still desperately homesick and planning their return home to the UK.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:17 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Like a few other members of the forum I'm also going back home to the UK, in June.

It was hard work, stressful and costly moving to Perth from the UK and it will be similar going back but we all feel the need to be close to friends and family and just to be back in England in general.

I dont really have a bad word to say against Australia (apart from maybe the house prices as we couldn't afford anything), its a lovely place and I think its a great place to bring up children but like others have said, I could spend a few months at a time here but I dont think we could live here permanently. I would've liked to have tried Adelaide but we can always visit there in the future.

I've no doubt we'll have many regrets about returning and will have fond memories of the Australian lifestyle. I may also regret not sticking it out for 2years to enable me to return in the future but we have 5 years in which to make up the 2 year residency in Australia so it can always be done if we feel the need to, but I dont think we will. At this point I'd rather spend those 2 years in the UK.

If this experience has taught me one thing its that I will look on the UK differently and I will appreciate the things we have there such as friends and family etc.

Now that we're off we have 3 cars to sell so if anyone's interested please see the links in my signature below for details.

Good luck to all those going through this process, wherever in the world you may be.
Shocked WAFC ....shocked.

Dave
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower
Shocked WAFC ....shocked.

Dave
Hi Dave,

So are we really but it seems we'd all prefer to be back home. Home is where the heart is as they say and our hearts are in the UK with our family and friends.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

but they knew what they were doing before they came.

yeah maybe, but the actuality can be different as we have these annoying things called emotions ! It is their choice to do what they like.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Like a few other members of the forum I'm also going back home to the UK, in June.

It was hard work, stressful and costly moving to Perth from the UK and it will be similar going back but we all feel the need to be close to friends and family and just to be back in England in general.

I dont really have a bad word to say against Australia (apart from maybe the house prices as we couldn't afford anything), its a lovely place and I think its a great place to bring up children but like others have said, I could spend a few months at a time here but I dont think we could live here permanently. I would've liked to have tried Adelaide but we can always visit there in the future.

I've no doubt we'll have many regrets about returning and will have fond memories of the Australian lifestyle. I may also regret not sticking it out for 2years to enable me to return in the future but we have 5 years in which to make up the 2 year residency in Australia so it can always be done if we feel the need to, but I dont think we will. At this point I'd rather spend those 2 years in the UK.

If this experience has taught me one thing its that I will look on the UK differently and I will appreciate the things we have there such as friends and family etc.

Now that we're off we have 3 cars to sell so if anyone's interested please see the links in my signature below for details.

Good luck to all those going through this process, wherever in the world you may be.
Hi.I have not been on here for a good while but I remember you when we were coming out just over 7 months ago ,sorry to hear it is not worked out for you and yours,good luck whatever you do,cheers Dave
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:15 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
I felt awful from day 1 in Perth and knew that it would never be home - we stayed 2 years and as time went on the homesickness got worse not better.

It's not the length of time you spend in a place that governs if you've given it 'long enough' to settle, it's the depth and strength of how you feel and how it affects your life, the OP is doing what is right for him/her and I daresay no amount of time will change that - if you ever go into the 'moving back to the UK' forum you will find people that have been in Oz a lot longer than 1-2 years and are still desperately homesick and planning their return home to the UK.
another fine post
Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

PS - If anyone's interested in an Ex Display Home 4x2 rental in Somerly then please let me know. It will be available from approx Monday 11th June.

There's a link to my thread with a couple of pics here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444512

Stu
Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:51 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by king kong
Your right ,it doesnt take two years to realise wether you want to be here .
A mate of mine was here on a migration visa in 1992 and went home after 48 hours and he has never regretted it ..Good luck for you in the future
48 hours that must be a world record...

Good for him. He knew his stuff!!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lol, now there's a man who knows what he wants!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:20 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by paulrachel
48 hours that must be a world record...

Good for him. He knew his stuff!!
im sure there was another guy who didnt last long. cant remember if it was a couple of days or a week. im sure his name was toryglen boy?
im sure hes the guy who changed my mind about the 2 year pish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.