4 Months in (Nearly!)

Old May 20th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 Months in (Nearly!)

We arrived on the 8th February to beautiful sunshine. Drove down to Mandurah where we were staying for a couple of weeks until we got rental sorted.
All the important things done and dusted. The usual list, Medicare, TFN, cars and job.
Eventually got a rental where we wanted and moved in 2nd March. Girls started school the following week and seemed to have settled very well.
OH started work and seemed ok for a few weeks but then I started to realise he wasn't so happy. Anyway to cut a long story short he has now changed jobs but still not happy. Works the same hours here as he did in the UK but can't accept that theres very little to do on an evening. He used to be out and about most nights if not tinkering in the garage then down a mates having a beer or out with me and the kids. Really don't know what I can do to help him get over this but whatever we both decide will be the right choice. Unfortunately for me I love it here and seemed to have settled into the way of life. I think its because I have met some really nice people here and can chat as and when I need to.
We both decided when we left that should either of us be unhappy or unsettled we would do whatever the other wanted no matter what. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

Lynne
Old May 20th 2007, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

banoff has a brilliant futurebanoff has a brilliant futurebanoff has a brilliant futurebanoff has a brilliant futurebanoff has a brilliant futurebanoff has a brilliant futurebanoff has a brilliant future
Default Re: 4 Months in (Nearly!)

Sorry to hear things arent going as you hoped. It is early days yet good luck.

Jan
Old May 20th 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

Its still early days for you both, sounds like your hubby needs to make some new friends of his own to go out with, does he have any hobbies like water sports etc to get him out of the house more?
Old May 20th 2007, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

carolynbubble is a jewel in the roughcarolynbubble is a jewel in the roughcarolynbubble is a jewel in the roughcarolynbubble is a jewel in the rough

Hiya
What is it thats getting you down? Its very early days so its not surprising your having some tough days!
Is it Secret harbour that you can settle into? Reason Im asking is we are having rekkie July and hope to settle there eventually. Would appreciate your views.
Hope it all works out what ever you decide and if you return UK at least you can say you gave it a go!
Best wishes
Carolyn
Old May 21st 2007, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replys.
I know its early days but he knows how he feels. I also think he is thinking financially as well. We still have our house in the UK being rented out at the moment and should it come to the time when we sell, well the equity we make would have gone all on a house here. Now as you are all aware the prices have rose a considerable amount in the last few months which means we will have to take out a mortgage for a longer length of time which we didnt want to do. Had we stayed in the UK we would have paid our mortgage off in the next couple of years. Here we would have it again for at least 25 years again. Also, should we go back to the UK trying to get back onto the property ladder will also be a bit of a nightmare. Before anyone says, I am not moaning about these things, as stated previously I love it here it just unfortunate my OH doesnt feel the same way.

Ozzy 7 - He does have hobbies but never seems to have the time to do them. ie gym, motorsport. By the time he gets in from work hes tired and wants to chill out. Catch 22 at the moment

carolynbubble - Its not Secret Harbour as this is a beautiful area along with most of the places around here. I just think for him its not what he wants.

Very difficult situation to be in but thanks for your comments as all help is appreciated.

Lynne
Old May 21st 2007, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I get what you're saying - financially we're back to square one starting out with a high mortgage for 30 years, but we're all happy here so we're thinking long term so aren't worried about it.

Have you considered moving closer to the CBD where there's more things happening ? It's a shame really that it's the wrong time of year, we arrived at the end of August and it was cold and not much happening but, from November onwards, it gets warmer, people start having barbies of an evening, walks on the beach after work and so on.

Hope you decide to stay.
Old May 21st 2007, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ohippy
I get what you're saying - financially we're back to square one starting out with a high mortgage for 30 years, but we're all happy here so we're thinking long term so aren't worried about it.

Have you considered moving closer to the CBD where there's more things happening ? It's a shame really that it's the wrong time of year, we arrived at the end of August and it was cold and not much happening but, from November onwards, it gets warmer, people start having barbies of an evening, walks on the beach after work and so on.

Hope you decide to stay.
Thanks for that H. Just don't know what to do at the moment. Don't want to be close to CBD thats definately not us!! I also hear what your saying about the time of year as well. It is a big factor.

Lynne
Old May 21st 2007, 6:37 am
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Arrrhhh Lynne didn't know you were feeling like this

Must catch up soon for a natter
Old May 21st 2007, 8:28 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mick69
Thanks for that H. Just don't know what to do at the moment. Don't want to be close to CBD thats definately not us!! I also hear what your saying about the time of year as well. It is a big factor.

Lynne

Can empathise with you Mick...my thoughts whilst here on rekkie...so quiet at nights, no one to have beers with ....hmmmmmmmmmmm

Dave
Old May 21st 2007, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

I really hope hes abe to settle into the OZ life soon, were due to fly out to live In Perth by the end of the year and understand that we will all have tough days as well as the good days. It would be such a shame if you couldnt settle, just wanted to wish you well and let us know how you get on.
Old May 21st 2007, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Diane-Stephen is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived on the 8th February to beautiful sunshine. Drove down to Mandurah where we were staying for a couple of weeks until we got rental sorted.
All the important things done and dusted. The usual list, Medicare, TFN, cars and job.
Eventually got a rental where we wanted and moved in 2nd March. Girls started school the following week and seemed to have settled very well.
OH started work and seemed ok for a few weeks but then I started to realise he wasn't so happy. Anyway to cut a long story short he has now changed jobs but still not happy. Works the same hours here as he did in the UK but can't accept that theres very little to do on an evening. He used to be out and about most nights if not tinkering in the garage then down a mates having a beer or out with me and the kids. Really don't know what I can do to help him get over this but whatever we both decide will be the right choice. Unfortunately for me I love it here and seemed to have settled into the way of life. I think its because I have met some really nice people here and can chat as and when I need to.
We both decided when we left that should either of us be unhappy or unsettled we would do whatever the other wanted no matter what. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

Lynne
Hi Lynne

Sorry to hear your OH is unsettled. It must be very hard when you don't like job and haven't got your mates around you to have a beer with. What is it about the jobs that he doesn't like? Is it the people he works with or do they just do things differently here? I hope it all works out for your whatever you decide. Best wishes.

Diane
Old May 21st 2007, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Diane-Stephen
Hi Lynne

Sorry to hear your OH is unsettled. It must be very hard when you don't like job and haven't got your mates around you to have a beer with. What is it about the jobs that he doesn't like? Is it the people he works with or do they just do things differently here? I hope it all works out for your whatever you decide. Best wishes.

Diane
Thanks again everyone for your wishes. Will see what the next couple of weeks brings.

Diane - I don't think its the job as thats what hes done for the last 20 years, even the guys he works with (good crowd) I think its more of the financial side of things for him.

Mindblower - He actually said its difficult as he could always pop to his mates to have a moan about the OH, here he cant as I hear him on the phone!!! All kidding apart thats the lesser of the problems I reckon.

Salsa - Yes, soon

Lynne
Old May 21st 2007, 3:17 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again everyone for your wishes. Will see what the next couple of weeks brings.

Diane - I don't think its the job as thats what hes done for the last 20 years, even the guys he works with (good crowd) I think its more of the financial side of things for him.

Mindblower - He actually said its difficult as he could always pop to his mates to have a moan about the OH, here he cant as I hear him on the phone!!! All kidding apart thats the lesser of the problems I reckon.

Salsa - Yes, soon

Lynne
We were the same when we first came - it was May, didn't know anyone and didn't get invited out much. Financially too we wondered if we'd be OK.
But 2 years on and we have a good crowd of friends, out most weekends / have friends round and the money side is fine.
It really does take time to settle in many ways. But I do understand what you are saying about your mortgage - but surely you knew that before you came - the houses prices have been going up for a couple of years now.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:47 pm
patience is a virtue !!!!

jo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the rough

Hiya Lynne,
Hope things get a better in the coming weeks.

Jo
x
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

springflower will become famous soon enough

Hi Lynne

Sorry to hear OH isnt settling, it is a worry. We have taken out a mortgage for more than we were hoping but then I wouldnt go back to England so its worth it for us. I must admit I am like you, have regular meets with the girls here in Bunbury, also have my family over in Busselton, where as Ray works long hours (not for much longer though, he just had promotion so less hours) and he comes home has dinner and usually crashes out. Now he has weekends free it is much better and he is gradually enjoying himself once again getting back to some of his hobbies that have been on hold. It does take time and things certainly are different here, but like everyone says when spring and summer time comes around it is so nice, simple things like sitting out in the garden with a few beers with dinner chatting till late, or down to the beach with a bottle of wine and watching the sunset, all very laid back compared to the local pub but just as enjoyable.
Just wanted to wish you both all the best in what ever decision you make and if you need someone to talk to then just give me a call.

Jan xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.