Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

4 months on the gold coast - wooo!!!

4 months on the gold coast - wooo!!!

Old Dec 11th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

nursesarah has a brilliant futurenursesarah has a brilliant futurenursesarah has a brilliant futurenursesarah has a brilliant futurenursesarah has a brilliant futurenursesarah has a brilliant future
Talking 4 months on the gold coast - wooo!!!

Well where do i start? I came out to the goldie on a 457 visa with a friend of mine in august and now its december and nearly christmas and i dont know where time has gone?!!!
We are both nurses and absolutely love our jobs, both at different hospitals, but both good. Nursing is very similar to the UK, just more time to spend with patients and i feel healthcare runs smoother in general with less politics!
As for accommodation - we had pre booked a 4 month rental from the internet (risky i know!). This turned out to be a really nice apartment and we have met some fantastic friends here! Now we have found a new place in mermaid beach which we move into 2 days before christmas (stress i know!!). :curse:

One of the biggest stresses for us was buying a car when we first arrived - we didnt know who to trust and were a bit shocked by the prices! so we had a hire car for 3 weeks and were offerred a car loan over 4 years, but declined and decided to use savings and bought an ex rental toyota corrolla - very nice car and its been good so far (apart from sue getting a speeding fine last week - duh!) we are sharing and its working out well!

Before we got here we thought the hardest thing would be making new friends - but we have a big group of friends who are all really close and regularly meet up for drinks/dinner and we are all spending christmas day together (fancy dress and bbq) as we are all away from home for the 1st time - so im actually really looking forward to this christmas!! - its just wierd having a christmas tree up when its red hot outside!!!!! - I'm still cooking turkey though!

Ive babbled on quite a bit now, so i better end here. Overall its the best thing i ever did (so far) coz we are loving every minute....next step is applying for a permanent visa, so fingers crossed! just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who helped me from BE with all your advice and kind words, and to those of you still waiting for that visa or nursing registration - keep ya chin up - it will soon be sorted and it is all worth it when you get here!!!!!

Sarah xxx
Old Dec 11th 2007, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default Re: 4 months on the gold coast - wooo!!!

Originally Posted by nursesarah
Well where do i start? I came out to the goldie on a 457 visa with a friend of mine in august and now its december and nearly christmas and i dont know where time has gone?!!!
We are both nurses and absolutely love our jobs, both at different hospitals, but both good. Nursing is very similar to the UK, just more time to spend with patients and i feel healthcare runs smoother in general with less politics!
As for accommodation - we had pre booked a 4 month rental from the internet (risky i know!). This turned out to be a really nice apartment and we have met some fantastic friends here! Now we have found a new place in mermaid beach which we move into 2 days before christmas (stress i know!!). :curse:

One of the biggest stresses for us was buying a car when we first arrived - we didnt know who to trust and were a bit shocked by the prices! so we had a hire car for 3 weeks and were offerred a car loan over 4 years, but declined and decided to use savings and bought an ex rental toyota corrolla - very nice car and its been good so far (apart from sue getting a speeding fine last week - duh!) we are sharing and its working out well!

Before we got here we thought the hardest thing would be making new friends - but we have a big group of friends who are all really close and regularly meet up for drinks/dinner and we are all spending christmas day together (fancy dress and bbq) as we are all away from home for the 1st time - so im actually really looking forward to this christmas!! - its just wierd having a christmas tree up when its red hot outside!!!!! - I'm still cooking turkey though!

Ive babbled on quite a bit now, so i better end here. Overall its the best thing i ever did (so far) coz we are loving every minute....next step is applying for a permanent visa, so fingers crossed! just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who helped me from BE with all your advice and kind words, and to those of you still waiting for that visa or nursing registration - keep ya chin up - it will soon be sorted and it is all worth it when you get here!!!!!

Sarah xxx
Sounds like you are going out of your way to embrace your new life!

Lovely update. Thanks
Old Dec 11th 2007, 6:51 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Gold Coast! Hope your move is smooth and you enjoy Christmas.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:20 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Great update. Hope you continue to enjoy your new life.

Have a great Christmas

Joex
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

spaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to all

Again great update. So you are both off Christmas Day how good is that
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Thanks for the update glad to know you are enjoying it. We leave for cairns on the 8th jan so not long now for us Im getting nervous about starting my new job Im a nurse too and will be working on the kids ward Just hope it goes ok. All the best have a great xmas and new year xx Trudi
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Mermaid Beach is nice so hope you enjoy the rest of your foreseeable lives
Old Dec 14th 2007, 1:57 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you have settled in well, it is nice to hear when it has worked out well

Have a great Xmas and New Year