British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   4 months in Adelaide (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/4-months-adelaide-596324/)

debbie222 Mar 9th 2009 8:31 am

4 months in Adelaide

Hi there

We arrived in Australia on 5th November 08, we are on a temp 475 visa. When we arrive in Adelaide, it was all I expect and more, especially when we arrived in Glenelg! After doing so much research prior to our arrival we had already decided we want to rent somewhere close to or in Glenelg (pref 4 bed house...3 kids!).....NO CHANCE! We had the biggest shock of our lives! We couldnt get a rental, so we looked at surrounding areas and reviewed our budget....5 weeks living in a tent is not good for anyone...then....we actually found somewhere:thumbsup:

We now have a rental in Marino which is lovely, however its a bit too quiet for me. My OH and I both have jobs (not the ones we want or ones which we expected, but you cant have everything!).

The eldest (who dug in her heels and said she wasnt coming) has now got a job and the other 2 children (11 and 9) are both in a local school. The youngest has settle in so well...no problems at all. Its almost like she has been living here for years. The other one, 11 year old boy is struggling and is finding it hard to make friends:( I know that we have moved here for a different life and meet different people, but I think that it is all a bit too much for him and I think he would benefit from meeting other British boys at a similar age.....or if anyone else has experience or been in a similar position, please fee free to email me:unsure::unsure:

I must admit, I feel a little homesick from time to time but when I drive home after work.......I feel so lucky to have been given the opportunity to live here!

I still pinch myself that I am here, some days just dont feel real. I love the sun, sea, spending more time with the children and look forward to the evenings and weekends so much!

To anyone who has recently arrive....if you are like me and cried everyday for about 10mins for the first 2 weeks, dont be alarmed! I was the same! I think its all the stress of packing, saying goodbyes etc. Whilst I was in the UK, I was fine, people didnt know how I was holding it all together...neither did I and then when I arrived it hit me...like a bus! You will be fine:thumbsup:

4 months isnt really much time to give anyone an update as we are still settling in to our new surrounding and meeting new people...good luck to anyone about the make the move to the other side of the world and enjoy it.....life is one big adventure!!!:D:eek::D

Debs

dickchap Mar 9th 2009 11:22 pm

Re: 4 months in Adelaide

Glad you are settling in. Enjoy your new life. I'm sure your son will soon find his feet. We all think kids are adaptable but some are more sensitive than others. It can be just as hard for kids to settle. Maybe try and get him involved with some after school clubs. When we were in the UK my boys had friends that they would see outside school etc but here they only see friends at school or at their after school clubs. They find that hard as they only have each other for company. I'm sure your son will make friends soon enough.:)

Fly Away Mar 10th 2009 12:09 am

Great update Debbie! Glad most things are falling into place. :thumbsup:

Hope your boy settles soon. :wub:

Summer05 Mar 11th 2009 9:44 pm

:)

Originally Posted by debbie222 (Post 7358980)
Hi there

We arrived in Australia on 5th November 08, we are on a temp 475 visa. When we arrive in Adelaide, it was all I expect and more, especially when we arrived in Glenelg! After doing so much research prior to our arrival we had already decided we want to rent somewhere close to or in Glenelg (pref 4 bed house...3 kids!).....NO CHANCE! We had the biggest shock of our lives! We couldnt get a rental, so we looked at surrounding areas and reviewed our budget....5 weeks living in a tent is not good for anyone...then....we actually found somewhere:thumbsup:

We now have a rental in Marino which is lovely, however its a bit too quiet for me. My OH and I both have jobs (not the ones we want or ones which we expected, but you cant have everything!).

The eldest (who dug in her heels and said she wasnt coming) has now got a job and the other 2 children (11 and 9) are both in a local school. The youngest has settle in so well...no problems at all. Its almost like she has been living here for years. The other one, 11 year old boy is struggling and is finding it hard to make friends:( I know that we have moved here for a different life and meet different people, but I think that it is all a bit too much for him and I think he would benefit from meeting other British boys at a similar age.....or if anyone else has experience or been in a similar position, please fee free to email me:unsure::unsure:

I must admit, I feel a little homesick from time to time but when I drive home after work.......I feel so lucky to have been given the opportunity to live here!

I still pinch myself that I am here, some days just dont feel real. I love the sun, sea, spending more time with the children and look forward to the evenings and weekends so much!

To anyone who has recently arrive....if you are like me and cried everyday for about 10mins for the first 2 weeks, dont be alarmed! I was the same! I think its all the stress of packing, saying goodbyes etc. Whilst I was in the UK, I was fine, people didnt know how I was holding it all together...neither did I and then when I arrived it hit me...like a bus! You will be fine:thumbsup:

4 months isnt really much time to give anyone an update as we are still settling in to our new surrounding and meeting new people...good luck to anyone about the make the move to the other side of the world and enjoy it.....life is one big adventure!!!:D:eek::D

Debs

thanks for this great update Debs. this gives us some hopes as we are coming over to Adelaide soon and I'm sure I'll be one of those who will cry every day probably for longer than ten minutes. I'll be thinking this is ok. :)
Also we have a 9 year old boy who is struggling with the idea of moving to oz so who knows maybe my boy and yours can meet together one day and be friends.
Wish you all the best
Edax

Sally Simpson Mar 11th 2009 11:07 pm

5 weeks in a tent:eek: Think I would have cried for more than 10 minutes a day with that situation!:ohmy:
Anyway, well done on your progress so far. You have been in Aus about the same time as us & it's still early days isn't it?
With regard to your son, as someone else has suggested, have you tried any clubs, sports, scouts? I have 2 boys, 10 & 15, we were expecting eldest one to struggle more but it has been the other way round. But youngest is now in scouts & has started rugby & seems to be more settled. We also spoke to his teacher as he was finding it very hard to make friends at school.
Continued success!

audrey426 Mar 30th 2009 9:15 pm

Have pm,d you debbie :)

noy_pee Jun 23rd 2009 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by debbie222 (Post 7358980)
Hi there

Debs

Hi debbie..we are new to this forum...we have just recently had our visa granted...we are really happy as this has been our dream..to be able to move to adelaide, but we have quite a dilemma because we have no idea where to start our life there...we have no idea where in adelaide we can find a place to rent..we have no idea where we can apply for a job...we were trying to apply jobs on line but it seems it is a little difficult to have them reply to our queries...I hope you can give us a little idea how to start our life there..thanks!!!

scotsnurse Jul 21st 2009 1:52 am

Hi everyone.

We have been in Adelaide for a week. We are in temporary shared accomodation which is very basic. It is better than a tent, but still not ideal. We are looking anywhere and everywhere for a rental, but it is very competetive.

No one explained that you had to apply for properties, in almost the same way you apply for a job. They do open viewings here. It is very like I imagine America to be in a lot of ways.

My feet are blistered from walking everywhere. In Adelaide you
!need need need!
a car. I'm hoping to have one by the end of today.

In spite of the above, I love Adelaide so far ( 1 whole week in:blink:). There is so much on offer and the people, generally, are great. I am sure 4 months from now I will have my life here carved out and established.

sunny side Jul 28th 2009 4:25 am

Hi,

We are also on 475 visa and plan to leave for Adelaide end of the year - expecting visa soon.

Pls let us know how things are there for people on this type of visa and job situation.

Is it any use trying to secure some interviews from overseas? I hear that they prefer to be face to face.

Thanks

Mari

mr mover Jul 28th 2009 10:56 am

Originally Posted by sunny side (Post 7789815)
Hi,

We are also on 475 visa and plan to leave for Adelaide end of the year - expecting visa soon.

Pls let us know how things are there for people on this type of visa and job situation.

Is it any use trying to secure some interviews from overseas? I hear that they prefer to be face to face.

Thanks

Mari

HI MARI WHAT DO YOU DO..??........................mm;)

sunny side Jul 30th 2009 11:01 am

I am in Hotel Mangement and Hubby is Airline business.

Tks

Mari

katsmajic Jul 30th 2009 1:07 pm

Look on poms in adelaide - bits of local news info etc.

weve been here over a year and love it - im in hospitality too.
i was a hospitality manager and yet have stepped back 'as such' to being a chef as its not that easy to step straight into a managers job - i can recommend perigren for managers roles(subway/ontherun/bpgarages) but their wages are quite low.
cheffing pays more than manager here...???

glenelg is prob the best place to aim at for work hotel wise etc, and its close to the airport too, its dear to live there tho.
the job situation is up and down really, no one said it was going to be easy and its not - my hubby is a toolmaker, we came on his skills and yet he works in bunnings (like b&q) as he cant find suitable work anywhere in the south - were not prepared to move up north - our decision :thumbsup: as we love the beaches.

our little kids have settled brilliantly and love it here, the big uns have settled too but have gone on different pathways than we expected

go to everything you are invited to - circulate, its a great way of meeting other people.

renting here is hard in most areas - its an open house viewing, you submit an application, supply as much information to support your application as possible, and theres usually several other applications going in...

your first few weeks will be madness - securing a rental, schools, jobs etc - allow plenty of money and understand the tears/arguements/tantrums cos theyl come thick and fast!