Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3rd Month in and my honest opinion about Ozzie life

3rd Month in and my honest opinion about Ozzie life

Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

monkey hanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3rd Month in and my honest opinion about Ozzie life

for anyone in the U.K contemplating migrating to Australia or anywhere for that matter, try a simple inexpensive test.
For 3 months do not have any physical contact with your family and friends,
do not visit places you like to go,by all means ring or e-mail but no physical contact including birthdays etc..
If you can do that then your chances of a successful migration is high,if you can't? it's alot cheaper than getting there and finding out the hard way.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jacqui cameron
and thanks Sydeny and the rest of you for ROOTING for me
We'll see what happens. I just have to convince the other half
Given the geography, possibly a bad choice of words
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:17 pm
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
That must be your choice then, because it certainly wasn't ours when we lived in the UK, no matter what the weather.

I do get so sick of hearing people moan because they are stuck in front of the tv as though living in the UK makes them do that. What utter rot. We were hardly at home. We played squash, went swimming, took our boy football/cricket/rugby training. Watched his matches after school and the clubs he played for in all weathers, went for country walks all year round. Visited museums, castles etc.etc.

Australia isn't hard to love compared to the UK? Have you actually lived here? Tommy rot mate.
Perth in winter is very very boring and it the winter seems to last for ever at least the UK has so much to do when the weather is bad
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:33 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by london52
Perth in winter is very very boring and it the winter seems to last for ever at least the UK has so much to do when the weather is bad
Have to disagree. A Perth winter is better than a UK summer. Evenings may be chilly but the days are lovely and warm, with clear blue sky All it does in the UK in summer is rain and flood.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Have to disagree. A Perth winter is better than a UK summer. Evenings may be chilly but the days are lovely and warm, with clear blue sky All it does in the UK in summer is rain and flood.
Ludicrous analogy mate..

Sorry to be blunt but you have obviously never experienced a proper summer in UK...
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

PJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the rough

Well done to those who have given the move in either direction a go and then decided that it isn't for them - even to those who constantly flipflop. However, unfortunate as it is, a lot of people who are unhappy in the UK and then are unhappy in Australia (and the reverse) might have to deal with the fact they are unhappy people and the problem is not solved by moving. Anyway I work in an office in Brisbane with a South African, two Brits and a Canadian. They wax lyrical about Qld in some ways I can't fathom, but it does make you think that there must be something good here if they love it so much. Nobody seemed to have a positive thing to say about the UK when I lived in London, even accounting for a self deprecating sense of humour. As for those who don't think they belong or suffer prejudice because they are Brits (or Aussies), have you ever thought it might not really be because you are Brits (or Aussies) but it might be because you are a little too determined to remain British or Australian at all cost, become insufferable and then sweat on any opportunity to cry foul to explain why people don't warm to you? Another thing I have noticed is that Qld seems to be home to a lot of interstate migrants as well, who, along with the rest of the population of the state, think it's one of the best places on earth yet do so with a matter of fact confidence as opposed to arrogance.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Syedney
Ludicrous analogy mate..

Sorry to be blunt but you have obviously never experienced a proper summer in UK...
The winter in Brisbane is better than 95% of summers I had in Scotland.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:19 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Ludicrous analogy mate..

Not ludicrous .....

I lived in the UK for 42 years before emigrating to Perth one year ago ... so I think I know what I'm on about

So tell me how many days of 100% pure sun with pure blue skies did you have last summer in the UK ? ... or were my relatives, friends and weather reports all telling fibs ?

Last edited by BAY; Apr 7th 2009 at 5:23 am.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Sorry to be pedantic, but are we not talking about England now..

I discounted Scotland a long time ago...

I mean don't get me wrong, it's lovely with it's beautiful landscape and some nice colourful heritage...But weather in Soctland? the same greay and dump...
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:19 am
Account Closed

Sorry to be pedantic, but are we not talking about England now..

I discounted Scotland a long time ago...

I mean don't get me wrong, it's lovely with it's beautiful landscape and some nice colourful heritage...But weather in Soctland? the same greay and dump...
You said the UK and the last time I checked, Scotland was part of that.
I don't recall England being fantastic weather wise either.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BAY
Not ludicrous .....

I lived in the UK for 42 years before emigrating to Perth one year ago ... so I think I know what I'm on about

So tell me how many days of 100% pure sun with pure blue skies did you have last summer in the UK ? ... or were my relatives, friends and weather reports all telling fibs ?
The first winter is always the easiest. Wait until you have lived through a few.

Once you acclimatise, winter in Perth can seem very cold, especially at night in WA's poorly built houses.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stm1971
The first winter is always the easiest. Wait until you have lived through a few.

Once you acclimatise, winter in Perth can seem very cold, especially at night in WA's poorly built houses.
I would agree, the other morning it was 12 degrees when I got up and I was absolutely frozen.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:49 am
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BAY
That is funny.
Perth has more annual rainfall than London, so how do you square that one
And you forgot the floods in Perth last year then and the bloody frezzing weather with the paper thin houses.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
Scotland has pish weather, where I lived in the south near Kent the weather in the summer was excellent warm and long summer nights most of the time.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by london52
Scotland has pish weather, where I lived in the south near Kent the weather in the summer was excellent warm and long summer nights most of the time.
The weather in South of England has always been lovelier than any other part of UK...

So you may have lived in UK for 100 years but if you only lived in Scotland or up north (ie north of Watford gap) then chances are you've probably not seen much of the golden sun...

Please don't give me the "I have lived XXX years so I know."

Because I have met people in UK who have lived longer than myself but have never been outside the Blighty!!

So my point is: it means nothing to start a conversation with that kind of arguments...

UK does have summer and in fact the last few days have been absolutely brilliantly sunny in Brighton!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.