3 years in Sydney

Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 years in Sydney

Time has really flown by since we arrived at 6am on August 18th 2008. My cheek muscles ached with all the smiling I had done. Outside the airport we were greeted by a huge sign for erection problems- you knew you were in a different country!
We had a week in the CBD sorting out all the paperwork, banks and schools etc, and doing touristy things, then 4 weeks in a holiday apartment in Manly. Although it was winter, we still sat on the bech in t-shirts: you could tell we were not local, as they were rugged up. DD had her fist surfing lesson and we bought her a wetsuit- she grew out of it very quickly, as a month after arriving she hit puberty, and grew a chest, which is still growing It was then I discovered how difficult it is to get decent underwear.
We found a rental in Killara, but couldn't believe how expensive it was. It was also grotty, unclean and right next to both a busy road and a railway line- $720 per week. It was described as freshly painted, but was mouldy in all the cupboards, and the paint was only thin so the walls were, on closer inspection, patchy, and no paint at all where they took the curtains off before we moved in. I spent a week cleaning it, as the landlord did not send a cleaner to rectify all the grease in the kitchen or the bathrooms. The roof also leaked and that took weeks before anyone was sent to fix it.
Worst of all, the French went on strike, so our furniture did not arrive for 7 weeks, so we camped on the floor. DD's school were able to lend us some things, and parents helped, but it was cold. Cockroaches that had been on steroids flew into my ear and mouth when I was trying to sleep. We had to move, and I didn't want to rent any more.

We found a house in St Ives- in need of renovation, but liveable, and with a pool. We lived through the amazing sandstorm that turned Sydney orange. I was finding dust for weeks. We havd to paint dd's bedroom before she would move in, as it was brown. She wanted a lavender colour, and it was then that we discovered how poor some of the paint is out here- took so many coats to cover up, and none of the gloss paint sticks to the skirting or doors- it peels off in great flakes if you touch it- and yes, we sanded and primed.

Now I have my orange and lemon trees, and despite cockatoos eating the windows and fruits, and the possums playing footie on the roof or poohing in the pool, I am more content with things, though I dearly wish I didn't have MS (diagnosed 6 months after arrival) and all the bills poor health brings. It means we are still living with a tiny blue bathroom and chewed windows, and our bedroom is still very tatty. This house is also mouldy, but it seems to be a perennial problem here- I've never seen it rain so much. At least we got the roof insulated last week, so it is not quite as cold. Can't afford double glazing- was quoted $68k to do the house!!!

Would I still move out here, knowing what I know now?

YES. For all its faults, my life here is better than it was. My husband is far happier, my daughter loves her school, lifestyle and friends, and I can at least in summer jump into my pool and look at the scenery, and don't feel like I have to "keep up with the Jonses" or be looked down on. I've even got a pair of flip-flops and a rashie!
Old Aug 21st 2011, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 years in Sydney

Nice to hear that you are still happy despite your poor health and other problems.I hope things continue to go well for you.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the 3 years
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:49 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Many congrats on the 3 years Caroline.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Caroline.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Thats a lovely, accurate update Caroline.Like your style!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats! You came just before me!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I know- I remember posting about some of the things I'd found and tried to help with advice.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:14 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I know- I remember posting about some of the things I'd found and tried to help with advice.
Nice one...enjoy the Upper North Shore!!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks- just got our first barbecue, so feeling more like we fit in here.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:41 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks- just got our first barbecue, so feeling more like we fit in here.
Oh there is a list of Ozzy things you MUST do:

Play cricket on Xmas day,
Have Xmas dinner on/by the beach,
Sign kids up for nippers,
Use Fathers Day as an excuse to get completely and utterly smashed by 5pm in the afternoon!!

The list is endless but I've ticked those 4!!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the 3 years
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:31 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations

However, I demand to know where the 'huge erection signs' pics are?
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Congratulations

However, I demand to know where the 'huge erection signs' pics are?
We were in a taxi, all jet lagged- no time to get the cameras out.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:06 am
Social Grenade Thrower

We were in a taxi, all jet lagged- no time to get the cameras out.
Most have gone now, they were along the M4 and M5 but were classed as a distraction and removed. Plus the company has gone into receivership, due to a flaccid account system probably, doubt it will stand up in court though!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.