Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 weeks on the Gold Coast!

3 weeks on the Gold Coast!

Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of
Default 3 weeks on the Gold Coast!

Hi everyone

Not been on for ages as we have been relying on the $2 for 21 minutes machines, so just catching up with family etc on email.

As we came out on Paul's student visa, we didn't get the luggage allowance for migrants but thought we would get a bit more. We did but Andrew's bag weighed 35kgs!!!! Had to move some stuff into my bag and we were still way over our limit. The man from Singapore Airlines was really good though and his supervisor said that Paul could have 35kgs and me and Andrew could have 25kgs each. This left us 5kgs over so we got stung for £155. Suppose it could have been worse!!!

Stayed over in Singapore for two nights. We absolutely loved it there. The place is so clean. We went shopping loads (but couldn't buy anything because we were already overweight!!!!). Andrew did buy a new camera though which went into his hand luggage (oh yes, we had two hand luggage bags each too!!!!)

Went on the A380 from Heathrow to Singapore which was brilliant. The stewards were fab and the food was good. Apart from mine and Andrew's TVs breaking halfway there, the films were good too. Recommend Step Up 2 and Vantage Point (this film was great!!!!!)

On a normal plane from Singapore to Brisbane. Arrived in Brisbane to heavy rain (just like home then eh???). Drove down to Gold Coast and arrived about 10pm. Forgot that everything closes early but drove round anyway aimlessly trying to find something to eat. Ended up in Surfers with McDonalds!!!

Anyway, we're here!!!! We were staying in Budds Beach near Surfers Paradise for two weeks but we have now moved into a rental in Benowa. We have only been in for just over a week but it is good so far.

Unfortunately, our stuff didn't arrive when it was supposed to, so we have had to buy cheap plates, cutlery, quilts, beds, bedding, saucepans, towels etc etc!!!! Keep having to go to the shop to buy something we need which is a pain in the butt but, hey ho, all things are sent to try us.

We got a 3 piece suite, a TV and a fridge/freezer for $100 from a friend of the rental property manager. Unfortunately, the fridge/freezer had cockroaches in it which I found out to my horror when I opened it to see if it was getting cold!!!!!! EEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!:curse: The fridge quickly went into the garden!!!! Went and bought a brand new one the day after (which is nice and clean with no roaches!!!)

Paul has started at college (Ashmore Campus is about 10 minutes walk away from our house) and he is enjoying it so far. He has already had homework!!! He is quite shy but he has got stuck in and talked to people on his course and actually goes out of his way to go over to them (which he would not normally do!!!!)

Andrew starts at Benowa High on Tuesday after the holidays. When he went for his interview he was told he couldn't do most of the subjects he had picked as they are "dinky" subjects - apparently for those who aren't academic!!! Because he has been predicted As and A*s for the GCSEs he did before we left, they wanted him to do more academic subjects. Because he wants to go into the RAAF and become a pilot, he is doing Maths A and B, Physics, English, French and Physical Recreation (he managed to get away with one "dinky" subject!!!!) He is looking forward to meeting new people at school because he has been with us for a month now and I think he is about fed up of us!!!! We haven't had any rows though so I suppose that's always good!!!!

I went for an interview at a hairdressers in Ashmore City on Wednesday. Because we can only work 20 hours a week though, we are very limited. I think she wants someone full-time but she did seem interested and said she would phone me next week to do a trade test. Will keep my fingers crossed! Getting a Weekend Bulletin today to look for any more jobs in the area. Failing that, I will be getting the White Pages out and phoning round.

We are off to the Gold Coast meet today and looking forward to meeting lots of new people.

JustSarah made me very welcome with a cup of coffee and a natter for two hours the other day!!! Thanks matey - see you later. x

We have met up with BecciJ (who moved to the Sunshine Coast) and went to Australia Zoo with them.

We have also seen SammyG who is also from the Midlands who we originally met at a meet in Nottingham last year. Was great to catch up with Sam and Stu - we are still looking forward to meeting Rhiannon!!!!

Anyway, can't think of anything else for now. Hopefully I can update further on the job situation soon.

Hope I haven't bored you all too much!!!! LOL!!!

Jo xx
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:47 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks on the Gold Coast!

hi jo,
glad to hear so far so good!!!
good luck with the job hunting, and good luck to paul at college - you are such a lovely couple i cant imagine you not succeeding!
say hi to the gold coast for me ...

sue xxxxx
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Hi Sue

Thanks for that.

Hope things are going well your end. When are you expecting to be here?

Jo x
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:13 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdraper
Hi Sue

Thanks for that.

Hope things are going well your end. When are you expecting to be here?

Jo x

things went a bit tits up a while ago ... my mum passed away end of april, then mals mum died 2 weeks ago - mal now doesnt want to go
so leaving things alone for now ... we have few family ties to hold us back, but if we dont all want to go then we cant go ... has to be a family decision at the end of the day
we have agreed to discuss anything to do with aus in a couple of month ...
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Nice update & good luck with the job hunting
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
things went a bit tits up a while ago ... my mum passed away end of april, then mals mum died 2 weeks ago - mal now doesnt want to go
so leaving things alone for now ... we have few family ties to hold us back, but if we dont all want to go then we cant go ... has to be a family decision at the end of the day
we have agreed to discuss anything to do with aus in a couple of month ...
Sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out for you. Sending virtual hugs xoxo

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Nice update & good luck with the job hunting
Thanks.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:24 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like things are working out good for you guys. Glad to hear OH is enjoying the bakers course, loved it when I trained. C x