Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 weeks on the gold coast

3 weeks on the gold coast

Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

sharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the rough
Default 3 weeks on the gold coast

well where do i start?

we flew with emirates out of glasgow on 13th feb.

the last few days were dreadful like waiting for a funeral . knowing the day was coming and dreading saying goodbye.
the last few hours spent with my daughter , had to nip to the loo a few times to sob!!!!!

when the time came to say good bye to her that night i felt as if i was leaving my baby behind . sobbed all the way to our hotel in glasgow . My hubbys friend gave us a lift through and we headed straight to the bar.

A late check out to catch the 1.30 flight and the first leg of our journey had begun.

The luggage allowance was a bit tight (put a lot of t shirts and shoes in with the golf bags.) total was about 100kgs and we managed to get through with out any excess payment.

The flight from glasgow was delayed on the tarmac for computer failure for about 1.5hours, so ou overnight in dubai was cutt short and after the hour getting to arrivals and through customs we arrrive tired at 3.00am.

the hotel was ok and up again at 6pm for transfer to airport. fight went on time and arrived in singapore around 8pm as we had visited last year and my hubby worked there lastear for a few weeks we decided to head straight fro Brisbane.

the entertainment on emirates is great and the whole 22 hours went quickly, food ok and service the same .

We arrive to bright blue skies this is what we are here for!!!!

We picked up our rental from east coasr rentals a nissan x trail for 4weeks .Quite cheap but they sting you for the liability insurance. Which we took just incase. The drivers here are mental.

We arrived at oyr holiday accommidation in Labrador basic but clean.
problem was they did not have a telephone or internet.Big issue for my hubby so off to australia fair to buy a mobile. pre paid with $49 dollars recharge giving us $310 of calls for a month with vodafone.
Tax file number etc sorted, using an internet cafe.

We started to look for a rental right away and got a 3 bedroom new build townhouse in upper coomera.

Sorted school for our son Jordan he is to start at upper coomera state school week after next.

The interviews started in week 2 . I have been offered 3 jobs just have to decide whether i travel to brissy on the train for the higher paid manager job or stay close to home as a practice nurse on a lesser wage.

Ricky has also been offered 2 jobs one in southport and the other in surfers both good jobs again decisions to be made.

We moved in to our rental after getting out of our 4 week deal with the granite apts.

The main hurdles we have encountered is the wait for services.. phone and broadband /austar.

it seems to be the aussie way. take your money and crap service.
waited in all day for austar yesterday but cancelled because of rain Even though it was blue skies and 29 degrees at our house..

we now have to wait another week and another day in the house waiting.

phone connected today and hopefully broadband wed on dialup disc deal at moment.

Phoned home a few times and my daughter uses phone cheap 1p a min most days also.

The next thoing need to get sorted is cars , we dont want to buy out right and you cant get finance unless you have been working for 3 months and a large deposit.
Ricky might get company car so it will be a cheapo for me until my 3 moths are up i guess.

I am not home sick yet and generally not missing any thing (only Cheryl)

as it has been a very busy 3 weeks.

We have met up with donna and neil for a barbie tues .thanks guys for a good night.

Off to scotschick and haggisman for a barbie tommorrow.

So things are fitting nicely in to place.

See you all at the football game in southport next sat.

Sharon
Old Mar 7th 2008, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

yummy mummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: 3 weeks on the gold coast

Sharon

We have just started our process of coming out and i have interviews next week for a mental health nurse post. i wonder if you can advise wether the wages are on par with the uk and wether you have found the basic cost of living higher than the uk i can't seem to find much info on this

Cheers
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 3 weeks on the gold coast

Originally Posted by sharon45
well where do i start?

we flew with emirates out of glasgow on 13th feb.

the last few days were dreadful like waiting for a funeral . knowing the day was coming and dreading saying goodbye.
the last few hours spent with my daughter , had to nip to the loo a few times to sob!!!!!

when the time came to say good bye to her that night i felt as if i was leaving my baby behind . sobbed all the way to our hotel in glasgow . My hubbys friend gave us a lift through and we headed straight to the bar.

A late check out to catch the 1.30 flight and the first leg of our journey had begun.

The luggage allowance was a bit tight (put a lot of t shirts and shoes in with the golf bags.) total was about 100kgs and we managed to get through with out any excess payment.

The flight from glasgow was delayed on the tarmac for computer failure for about 1.5hours, so ou overnight in dubai was cutt short and after the hour getting to arrivals and through customs we arrrive tired at 3.00am.

the hotel was ok and up again at 6pm for transfer to airport. fight went on time and arrived in singapore around 8pm as we had visited last year and my hubby worked there lastear for a few weeks we decided to head straight fro Brisbane.

the entertainment on emirates is great and the whole 22 hours went quickly, food ok and service the same .

We arrive to bright blue skies this is what we are here for!!!!

We picked up our rental from east coasr rentals a nissan x trail for 4weeks .Quite cheap but they sting you for the liability insurance. Which we took just incase. The drivers here are mental.

We arrived at oyr holiday accommidation in Labrador basic but clean.
problem was they did not have a telephone or internet.Big issue for my hubby so off to australia fair to buy a mobile. pre paid with $49 dollars recharge giving us $310 of calls for a month with vodafone.
Tax file number etc sorted, using an internet cafe.

We started to look for a rental right away and got a 3 bedroom new build townhouse in upper coomera.

Sorted school for our son Jordan he is to start at upper coomera state school week after next.

The interviews started in week 2 . I have been offered 3 jobs just have to decide whether i travel to brissy on the train for the higher paid manager job or stay close to home as a practice nurse on a lesser wage.

Ricky has also been offered 2 jobs one in southport and the other in surfers both good jobs again decisions to be made.

We moved in to our rental after getting out of our 4 week deal with the granite apts.

The main hurdles we have encountered is the wait for services.. phone and broadband /austar.

it seems to be the aussie way. take your money and crap service.
waited in all day for austar yesterday but cancelled because of rain Even though it was blue skies and 29 degrees at our house..

we now have to wait another week and another day in the house waiting.

phone connected today and hopefully broadband wed on dialup disc deal at moment.

Phoned home a few times and my daughter uses phone cheap 1p a min most days also.

The next thoing need to get sorted is cars , we dont want to buy out right and you cant get finance unless you have been working for 3 months and a large deposit.
Ricky might get company car so it will be a cheapo for me until my 3 moths are up i guess.

I am not home sick yet and generally not missing any thing (only Cheryl)

as it has been a very busy 3 weeks.

We have met up with donna and neil for a barbie tues .thanks guys for a good night.

Off to scotschick and haggisman for a barbie tommorrow.

So things are fitting nicely in to place.

See you all at the football game in southport next sat.

Sharon

Hi Sharon, glad to hear you are doing well.

Just to let you know we bought a brand new car within 2 weeks of being here and before my husband had even started his new job!! We have also now got a second hand one too and had no problem in financing either!

He works in the city and has said the air conditioned trains are no problem at all and worth the extra money in wages.

See you in southport!!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

sharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by justsarah
Hi Sharon, glad to hear you are doing well.

Just to let you know we bought a brand new car within 2 weeks of being here and before my husband had even started his new job!! We have also now got a second hand one too and had no problem in financing either!

He works in the city and has said the air conditioned trains are no problem at all and worth the extra money in wages.

See you in southport!!
where did you go for your cars? any info would be great sarah as we need to get going on this very soon.

see you sat.

sharon x
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to GC, We also bought one very good second hand car & brand new car, one is toyota & one is Honda, no problem with either of them, you can get financing from the car dealers but the interest rate is higher than the bank on the repayment.
Glad all is working out well for you guys, see you on saturday.

F
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

what is so funny?

Its not very nice thing to say for a mother missing her daughter, sorry but I dont get the joke.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Mar 11th 2008 at 7:25 am. Reason: quoted a deleted post.