3 weeks in Adelaide!!!

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:19 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks in Adelaide!!!

Hi Lou, I am delighted to hear things are working out so well for you all! It sounds absolutely amazing! It is so great to hear that you are living your dream!

Love the update, look forward to hearing more about your life in adelaide!

Love Jackie x
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

icequeen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lou! Fantastic post hun!!!!!

Thanks for sharing I am very happy you settled in so well.
Your post gives hope and keeps the positive spirit! xxx

Wishing you all the best and be well.

Marina
xxxx
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Weasy
At last I've found a few minutes to do an initial update!!!! Hope it's not too long and boring.

Our last days in the UK were very weird. Having booked our flights for the 10th of January when our assuror lodged our bond on the 6th December and was told it would only be a few days until we got our visas, we then had a gruelling 4 week wait over Christmas and New Year!!! We were beginning to panic that we'd have to fly without our stickers and get them in New Zealand... Anyway, at about 4am on the 2nd January I woke up to do that early morning email check (you all know what that one is like....) and there it was. The email had arrived at 1.30am – surely the first grant of 2007?

This left us with 8 days to say our goodbyes properly as the reality of it hadn't hit until that email. Not an ideal scenario but good in some ways as I hate long drawn out emotional scenes.

So, we left Nottingham at 6am on a typical dark January morning having said all our goodbyes the day before and had a very relaxing taxi ride to Heathrow.

We had an amazing 2 week holiday on the west coast of the States where Arizona had the coldest temperatures in 17 years!! This meant we had to bring all our winter woollies with us but the trip was well worth it and a lovely break before starting our new lives. We did have to buy an extra suitcase to fit in all the cheap clothes we bought at the outlet malls in LA, and were more than pushing our luggage allowance! Top marks to Air New Zealand, could not fault them overall.

At 10.35am on Australia Day (Friday 26/1/07) we landed in Adelaide and were met by our rellies who drove us up into the hills and straight to the rental we'd managed to organise prior to arrival, thanks to a certain person on another forum to whom we will be ever grateful. Our landlady and her mum were there to greet us and they'd even made us a pavlova for Australia Day – how lovely was that? Our rental is in a place called Piccadilly and we just love it in this area, it's beautiful.

We bought a car the next day, the girls started at school on the following Tuesday (on 6 acres of grounds with their own wood and heaps of facilities), we got medicare, drivers licences, centrelink etc sorted out. We managed to finalise the transfer of our money when the exchange rate hit its peak and we got $2.54. We've caught up with a couple of friends off forums but have a few more to see yet, I've started going to a few coffee things etc with other mums from school and generally finding everyone very welcoming. We've been to a wedding on Port Noarlunga beach, gone to the beach after school on a Friday, the girls have already had a few play dates each, our previously not very sporting 9 year old has signed up for a beach volleyball tournament with school and I've had lunch at Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary with some new Aussie friends and ate lunch looking out at an amazing array of wildlife. Chaz went to catch up at a couple of agencies that he'd visited when we were here on our reccie last year and generally scoured the career websites.

However, this week Chaz got an interview for a great job that he'd actually applied for just before we left the UK and he got offered the job the next day . Should be starting sometime next week so we've now also bought a second car.

We can't quite believe it's only been 3 weeks so far, we feel so 'at home'. As I said, this area is truly beautiful and as the girls adore their new school and we love whole feel of the area we'll be staying up 'in the hills'. We love listening to the birds and crickets at night and on a very clear night we can see the milky way.

Overall we're loving everything so far. I've only had one night where I suddenly had a moment of panic and thought 'what have we done?' - no idea what brought that on and it went as soon as it appeared. I'll let you all know if I still feel the same in a few months.
Lovely update, enjoy every minute
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

dexonsbabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the update........so glad everything is working out.......even if it makes me as jealous as hell . Seriously though every time I read a post like this it makes me more determined to take the plunge, so keep these post coming.

Lori xx
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:12 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

At last I've found a few minutes to do an initial update!!!! Hope it's not too long and boring.

Our last days in the UK were very weird. Having booked our flights for the 10th of January when our assuror lodged our bond on the 6th December and was told it would only be a few days until we got our visas, we then had a gruelling 4 week wait over Christmas and New Year!!! We were beginning to panic that we'd have to fly without our stickers and get them in New Zealand... Anyway, at about 4am on the 2nd January I woke up to do that early morning email check (you all know what that one is like....) and there it was. The email had arrived at 1.30am – surely the first grant of 2007?

This left us with 8 days to say our goodbyes properly as the reality of it hadn't hit until that email. Not an ideal scenario but good in some ways as I hate long drawn out emotional scenes.

So, we left Nottingham at 6am on a typical dark January morning having said all our goodbyes the day before and had a very relaxing taxi ride to Heathrow.

We had an amazing 2 week holiday on the west coast of the States where Arizona had the coldest temperatures in 17 years!! This meant we had to bring all our winter woollies with us but the trip was well worth it and a lovely break before starting our new lives. We did have to buy an extra suitcase to fit in all the cheap clothes we bought at the outlet malls in LA, and were more than pushing our luggage allowance! Top marks to Air New Zealand, could not fault them overall.

At 10.35am on Australia Day (Friday 26/1/07) we landed in Adelaide and were met by our rellies who drove us up into the hills and straight to the rental we'd managed to organise prior to arrival, thanks to a certain person on another forum to whom we will be ever grateful. Our landlady and her mum were there to greet us and they'd even made us a pavlova for Australia Day – how lovely was that? Our rental is in a place called Piccadilly and we just love it in this area, it's beautiful.

We bought a car the next day, the girls started at school on the following Tuesday (on 6 acres of grounds with their own wood and heaps of facilities), we got medicare, drivers licences, centrelink etc sorted out. We managed to finalise the transfer of our money when the exchange rate hit its peak and we got $2.54. We've caught up with a couple of friends off forums but have a few more to see yet, I've started going to a few coffee things etc with other mums from school and generally finding everyone very welcoming. We've been to a wedding on Port Noarlunga beach, gone to the beach after school on a Friday, the girls have already had a few play dates each, our previously not very sporting 9 year old has signed up for a beach volleyball tournament with school and I've had lunch at Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary with some new Aussie friends and ate lunch looking out at an amazing array of wildlife. Chaz went to catch up at a couple of agencies that he'd visited when we were here on our reccie last year and generally scoured the career websites.

However, this week Chaz got an interview for a great job that he'd actually applied for just before we left the UK and he got offered the job the next day . Should be starting sometime next week so we've now also bought a second car.

We can't quite believe it's only been 3 weeks so far, we feel so 'at home'. As I said, this area is truly beautiful and as the girls adore their new school and we love whole feel of the area we'll be staying up 'in the hills'. We love listening to the birds and crickets at night and on a very clear night we can see the milky way.

Overall we're loving everything so far. I've only had one night where I suddenly had a moment of panic and thought 'what have we done?' - no idea what brought that on and it went as soon as it appeared. I'll let you all know if I still feel the same in a few months.
Hi, I love your post - -takes me right back to 7 months ago when we arrived.
We have settled not far from you in Woodside and we fell in love with the hills too as soon as we drove up out of the city.

If you fancy a chat and a coffee(or beer) just let me know. I have 2 boys who are always happy to meet new playmates!!

xRachx
Old Mar 18th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi There

So glad you're enjoying Adelaide. We visited last October for 5 weeks and loved the place, we originally were looking at Brisbane area.

We just can't wait to be out there, hopefully Visa won't take too long.

Jane
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hi, I love your post - -takes me right back to 7 months ago when we arrived.
We have settled not far from you in Woodside and we fell in love with the hills too as soon as we drove up out of the city.

If you fancy a chat and a coffee(or beer) just let me know. I have 2 boys who are always happy to meet new playmates!!

xRachx
hi,

we are also hoping to get to adelaide, i have been researching areas and i am at aloss as it all looks fab... i am a nurse so would need to be nearish to a hospital... hubby is a machanical fitter so would need to be near factories and the kids are 12 n 9 so need to be near a good school.... any advise from the ground would be much appreiciated..... one more thing, can u see the stars at night i know it sounds odd but where i live i am lucky to see 10

thanks
debbie
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:27 pm

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbieuk
hi,

we are also hoping to get to adelaide, i have been researching areas and i am at aloss as it all looks fab... i am a nurse so would need to be nearish to a hospital... hubby is a machanical fitter so would need to be near factories and the kids are 12 n 9 so need to be near a good school.... any advise from the ground would be much appreiciated..... one more thing, can u see the stars at night i know it sounds odd but where i live i am lucky to see 10

thanks
debbie
Debbie the stars are amazing!!!!!
In the hills the sky is crystal clear.

I have a 35 minute commute down to the Royal Adelaide Hosp in the city. 35mins is nothing here when you appreciate how huge this place is. I wanted to be closer but that would mean living in the city which is too busy for me. I like the space the hills has to offer.

My boys are 10 and 8 and have been to 2 schools since arriving - -they were both ok but the one they are at now is smaller and suits them far better than the 1000 pupil!! one they were at in the city.

xRachx
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant wait till i am there.....hopefully 2008 will be our year

will have to meet up and have a glass of wine and admire those stars

what area do u work in and do u like nursing in oz.

debbie
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:18 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooooooh the sight of the milky way up here still amazes me.

Been meaning to say how about meeting in the school hols Rach?

Lou
xx

Debbie the stars are amazing!!!!!
In the hills the sky is crystal clear.

I have a 35 minute commute down to the Royal Adelaide Hosp in the city. 35mins is nothing here when you appreciate how huge this place is. I wanted to be closer but that would mean living in the city which is too busy for me. I like the space the hills has to offer.

My boys are 10 and 8 and have been to 2 schools since arriving - -they were both ok but the one they are at now is smaller and suits them far better than the 1000 pupil!! one they were at in the city.

xRachx
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbieuk
hi,

thanks
debbie

Factories are in the Northern suburbs and there is a hospital up this end in Modbury or there's the one in the city as mentioned.

I'd suggest looking at the Hills, or somewhere on Main North Road (to the east of it, not west) no higher up than Salisbury.

For schools, there are some good ones about I am told. I can only comment on the ones my kids go to and that's Mawson Lakes Primary school. I have found them to be very helpful and my daughter really enjoys it there. Some teachers are great, but then there are a few who are a bit slack. The headmaster is great though and if I have any problems he usually sorts them out. I am moving here after easter though because we bought a house and it'll be too far away.

My other kid goes to high school, but you won't be needing that for a while so I won't bore you with the details.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:32 pm

Ooooooooh the sight of the milky way up here still amazes me.

Been meaning to say how about meeting in the school hols Rach?

Lou
xx
Hi Lou,

I'd love to meet up - -I've pm'd my mobile - -give me a buzz and we'll arrange something.

xRachx
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:24 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lou,

I'd love to meet up - -I've pm'd my mobile - -give me a buzz and we'll arrange something.

xRachx
hi there you lovely Adelaide folk.........we should be having our VISA application picked up on monday morning i have got the day off work and am so excited about it all.

the kids are looking forward to having 2 summers this year thats as long as they get a move on with our apllication that is.

We really cnt wait to get out there with you all and start to really enjoy life.

i am as jealous as hell of you all.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 9:55 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it - hope t goes through quickly and smoothly

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
hi there you lovely Adelaide folk.........we should be having our VISA application picked up on monday morning i have got the day off work and am so excited about it all.

the kids are looking forward to having 2 summers this year thats as long as they get a move on with our apllication that is.

We really cnt wait to get out there with you all and start to really enjoy life.

i am as jealous as hell of you all.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it - hope t goes through quickly and smoothly

Lou
xx
Weasy

So glad things are going well for you,

you have so much organized in such a short space of time. Well done

Goes to show the stress and waiting is all worth it in the end .

Keep on enjoying Australia.

Sarah