3 months in Tasmania

Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future
Default Re: 3 months in Tasmania

Originally Posted by travelbug
Great to hear a positive report for a change on Tas. That is where we're thinking of heading ourselves (have not been before though). It looks like a beautiful island, and when we do our reccie later this year we'll be visiting there and Melbourne probably. We're hoping to locate to the suburbs near Hobart. Where have you settled there? The main reason i'm keen to settle in Tas is that it looks a lovely place to raise kids (i've got a daughter who'll be 4 in march and a 1month old baby boy). How are your kids settling and is there plenty to keep them occupied?
Also, if you dont mind all these questions what kind of work does your partner do ?
We're from Essex, where was you from? I think a lot of people's opinions of different places depends on what they're used to.....
Any advice / info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Mashy: wicked post. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it. Makes me feel a whole lot better about a positive post as we are hoping to come to Tas Sept/Oct time (just trying to sell house here) (although never been to Tas) but to us seems best place for the kids with the air etc.

Travelbug: What a small world! We are from Romford, Essex too, having 3 kids (girl 5, boy 4, boy 1) and OH!! Tas is top of our list at mo too. Have you got your visas, we got ours last July and OH would have been off straight away, just me being the cautious one!!! Anyway have decided to take the plunge and go for it as know I will regret it if we dont. Where abouts in Romford are you and when are you looking to go to Tas?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Davla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mashy
Well, we`ve been here in Tasmania for the last 3 months, and are lovin every minute!!!

We came here `blind` so to speak, having never visited Oz before and so didn`t know what to expect. After spending our first night in what can only be described as an extremely dodgy caravan park:scared: we moved on and began to explore our new surroundings. The weather was shite at first, but having lived in the UK for over 30yrs, we were used to crap weather

Within a week of arriving, we found a house to rent with views to die for, enrolled the girls in the local primary school, and hubby started work! The people we have so far met have been friendly and helpful. On our 3rd day, we asked someone for directions, got talking to him and he invited us to his house for a BBQ. Met some really nice people there, and had a fantastic time!!

We are going through the usual motions of missing family .......but not enough to want to go back

We`ve met up with quite a few BE` members who have been fantastic and only wish we`d made the move a lot sooner!

Heard quite a few people slagging Tasmania off, but one mans meat is another mans poison. Wouldn`t do for everyone to like all the same things as everyone else

For us, it`s perfect and we now regard it as home.

Sharon
Hi Sharon

Great thread, So glad you have settled out there and it's soo nice to hear from someone who's settled in Tas, most threads are about mainland Oz. We have fallen in love with Tassie too, without even visiting and like yourselves seem to be drawn to Hobart. We had our medicals last week so fingers crossed we pass them & sell then our house & then sort everything out etc...... We hope to be out in Sept/Oct fingers crossed! The sooner the better!
My OH is a brickie is there much work out there for him? Where's the best area in Tas to settle? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
Law
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

Tassie is truly a very beautiful island state. I lived there all my life until recently.

Hobart is the pick of areas as far as having more at your finger tips like shopping, events, choice of schools, etc..its just so darn cold in Winter and when Mt. Wellington is covered in a snow blanket those winds turn really chilly!...but its just the most beautiful sight...snow on the mountain as a backdrop to Hobart.

Its very laid back that is true. You dont have to deal with traffic, not on a huge scale anyway. The beaches are free and easily accessible.

Up North around Launceston and further to the North West (where I spent the majority of my time in Tassie)is very very green. Its all farming community all the way along the North West coast right to Circular Head.

I lived in Devonport where the Spirit of Tasmania comes in. Fantastic place. Central to everywhere. 1hr from Cradle Mountain, 3 hrs drive to Hobart, 1hr drive to Launceston, (or Lonny as the locals refer to it), and a major airport where Virginblue and Jetstar fly out of. Devonport has an airport as well but not a jetport. And beaches at your door step. Shearwater, Port Sorell and Hawley are beachside suburbs to die for and only 20 mins drive from Devonport. Only wish you had more months of the year when you can enjoy swimming in them!....

Housing prices in Tassie are very very affordable and you can get some great houses anywhere in Tasmania at wonderful prices when compared to the mainland.

If you love fishing,4 wheel driving,diving, mountain climbing, then Tassie is your paradise.

If you love that country feel and love small towns, Tassie is your place.

There is plenty for kids to do as littlies. Concerns start to surface when they get towards the end of the Education years. There are not a lot of work opportunities and very limited options as to what type of work one can do in Tassie. Many leave for mainland Aust. at this time. This was also one factor that helped us decide to leave Tassie as well.

But it is the most beautiful scenic state you will ever likely see. The Lakes areas are just awesome. The East Coast of Tassie is a fantastic holiday spot with the best beaches you will see anywhere....think Wineglass Bay! Not many work opportunites in that area though.

The air and water are very pure.

We loved our state and still do. All our family are there. But as I mentioned earlier, we just got tired of the darn cold weather and worried about the opportunities for our kids once they reached the age where they needed to find work.

Tassie does take a bagging from its mainland neighbours but they are all just jealous I reckon!! lol
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum

Tassie does take a bagging from its mainland neighbours but they are all just jealous I reckon!! lol
Tassie is certainly a much lovelier place than the "north island"
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:09 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

I cant wait to get to Tassie now., just have to decide where will be the best for us...Reccie trip me thinks
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:00 am
Just Joined

tani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nice

Hi there

So good to hear youre loving living in Tassie.
I'm up near Byron Bay and although I love the warmth here, I spent some months in Tassie and loved it - best part of Oz I've seen I reckon....so beautiful isnt it........I'm contemplating moving down......just tossing the idea around at the moment so thanks for your posting.
Tani
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:17 am
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tani
Hi there

So good to hear youre loving living in Tassie.
I'm up near Byron Bay and although I love the warmth here, I spent some months in Tassie and loved it - best part of Oz I've seen I reckon....so beautiful isnt it........I'm contemplating moving down......just tossing the idea around at the moment so thanks for your posting.
Tani

Hi,

It truly is a beautiful place. The longer we are here, the more we love it

Never been to anywhere else apart from Melbourne but I just know that we chose the right state for us

Sharon
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:26 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mashy
Hi,

It truly is a beautiful place. The longer we are here, the more we love it

Never been to anywhere else apart from Melbourne but I just know that we chose the right state for us

Sharon

Speak to you tomorrow mate
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

I've just found this thread. What a great comfort to know that you've settled in Mashy We visited last year and fell in love with the place. We also was drawn to the Hobart area.

We are waiting for our visa's to come through had meds on 20th March, reading your post has put the spring back into my step. All the waiting and stuff kinda makes you doubt your decision, then wonder if its the right decision. After this post I feel it definately is the right decision!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

carina is a jewel in the roughcarina is a jewel in the roughcarina is a jewel in the roughcarina is a jewel in the rough

Hi Mashy

Great to read that you are loving it in Tas, we are headed there too, and reading positive posts like yours makes all this messing about seem worth it !
We are still waiting for acknowledgements - so its nail biting time for us !

Hope to be there by this time next year with any luck.

Bye for now

Carina
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CasG

Speak to you tomorrow mate

Speak to you tomorrow
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kezzabird
I've just found this thread. What a great comfort to know that you've settled in Mashy We visited last year and fell in love with the place. We also was drawn to the Hobart area.

We are waiting for our visa's to come through had meds on 20th March, reading your post has put the spring back into my step. All the waiting and stuff kinda makes you doubt your decision, then wonder if its the right decision. After this post I feel it definately is the right decision!
Hi,

We had never visited before, but we came we saw and we conquered
(so to speak).

We love the laid back lifestyle and our two girls of 8 and 10 have settled in brilliantly
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by carina
Hi Mashy

Great to read that you are loving it in Tas, we are headed there too, and reading positive posts like yours makes all this messing about seem worth it !
We are still waiting for acknowledgements - so its nail biting time for us !

Hope to be there by this time next year with any luck.

Bye for now

Carina
Hi Carine,

Don`t bite those nails too short there`s still more biting to be done after the acknowledgements

Here`s to next year
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:11 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

just brought these up for info for Lenmil
Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:24 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
just brought these up for info for Lenmil
Thanks very much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.