Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 months in sydney!!! love it :-)

3 months in sydney!!! love it :-)

Old Aug 6th 2007, 5:09 am
Just Joined

niknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really nice
Default 3 months in sydney!!! love it :-)

hello everyone!

im a 28 year old woman who's just done 3 months of my 'how long is a piece of string' stint in sydney. i came here for a job and expected to hate it - had people telling me that there is no culture, that everyone wears thongs and stubbies and that all there is to do is drink beer and go to the beach. i thought it would be my worst nightmare to come here but i got an artist residency for 6 months and wanted a change from London so thought I'd gve it a go. How pleasantly surprised I have been!

On the plane over I got talking to a very nice girl who lives in Newtown who offered me a room to stay in. I had booked the local YHA but cancelled and moved into her attic. Large and sunny, there is a big window overhead with ferns and berries growing almost into it and in the morning parrots perch there and eat the berries. It's so easy to get up in the morning when I see that glorious weather! Since being here my art has taken on a whole new feel, the feel of the vibrant, colourful city. I thought there would be no culture but every weekend I see new bands in all different sorts of venues around town, from the poky and smoky to the large and industrial. You dont get the big international acts touring here so much but i like that i get to see the independent, underground music scene - some great bands here that will probably not get far due to the city's isolation (apparently its very hard to break out of Oz) but deserve to.

There are no where near as many galleries here but I have been really impressed with the quality and uniqueness of the art. Also, lots of open, free-booze opening nights help to encourage new people to attend!

The free TV is terrible but DVDS and movies are cheap and there are great cinemas plus what is the point of staying in anwyay. I watch a lot less TV than at home. If you come here and do want to watch TV get cable, much better and just like home - more channels = more rubbish! Aussie shows arent very good but neighbours is ok (ha!) and they have some good comedy. Avoid all radio except Triple J, FBI and 2SER.

I've also enjoyed the beaches and parks. Every weekend my flatmates and I ride our bikes up to huge Centennial Park (like Hyde Park but bigger and more 'bush' like) or other pretty little parks around the place and sit by the lake drinking champagne and eating cheese and watching the black swans. people ride horses by and its very friendly.

Some of the pubs in Newtown are a bit rough but friendly and you see funny characters. I've seen a few 'blokes' with beeer bellies and thongs but even people here think they are odd. I thought that would be the main fashion but there is fashion here, cute dresses and lots of original clothes. Like Camden in London but without the pretense - its more laid back.

Anyway I just wanted to share this because I have been so surprised and pleased to find Oz is not like all the negative stereotypes friends told me or i read on this site before coming. Its been such fun, i hope to stay longer than my contract.

Anyone else enjoyed this city like i have?

Nikola
Old Aug 6th 2007, 12:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months in sydney!!! love it :-)

Glad you're enjoying it Nikola. I love Sydney too.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
Glad you're enjoying it Nikola. I love Sydney too.
We are due to come to Sydney the first week of November. How nice to read such a refreshing post. Thank you for such an interesting read
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:35 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niknaknoo
hello everyone!

im a 28 year old woman who's just done 3 months of my 'how long is a piece of string' stint in sydney. i came here for a job and expected to hate it - had people telling me that there is no culture, that everyone wears thongs and stubbies and that all there is to do is drink beer and go to the beach. i thought it would be my worst nightmare to come here but i got an artist residency for 6 months and wanted a change from London so thought I'd gve it a go. How pleasantly surprised I have been!

On the plane over I got talking to a very nice girl who lives in Newtown who offered me a room to stay in. I had booked the local YHA but cancelled and moved into her attic. Large and sunny, there is a big window overhead with ferns and berries growing almost into it and in the morning parrots perch there and eat the berries. It's so easy to get up in the morning when I see that glorious weather! Since being here my art has taken on a whole new feel, the feel of the vibrant, colourful city. I thought there would be no culture but every weekend I see new bands in all different sorts of venues around town, from the poky and smoky to the large and industrial. You dont get the big international acts touring here so much but i like that i get to see the independent, underground music scene - some great bands here that will probably not get far due to the city's isolation (apparently its very hard to break out of Oz) but deserve to.

There are no where near as many galleries here but I have been really impressed with the quality and uniqueness of the art. Also, lots of open, free-booze opening nights help to encourage new people to attend!

The free TV is terrible but DVDS and movies are cheap and there are great cinemas plus what is the point of staying in anwyay. I watch a lot less TV than at home. If you come here and do want to watch TV get cable, much better and just like home - more channels = more rubbish! Aussie shows arent very good but neighbours is ok (ha!) and they have some good comedy. Avoid all radio except Triple J, FBI and 2SER.

I've also enjoyed the beaches and parks. Every weekend my flatmates and I ride our bikes up to huge Centennial Park (like Hyde Park but bigger and more 'bush' like) or other pretty little parks around the place and sit by the lake drinking champagne and eating cheese and watching the black swans. people ride horses by and its very friendly.

Some of the pubs in Newtown are a bit rough but friendly and you see funny characters. I've seen a few 'blokes' with beeer bellies and thongs but even people here think they are odd. I thought that would be the main fashion but there is fashion here, cute dresses and lots of original clothes. Like Camden in London but without the pretense - its more laid back.

Anyway I just wanted to share this because I have been so surprised and pleased to find Oz is not like all the negative stereotypes friends told me or i read on this site before coming. Its been such fun, i hope to stay longer than my contract.

Nikola
Hi Nikola,

I live in Newtown too - well, Erskineville to be exact - and I love it too. I'm about 30 seconds walk from The Rose, which really is a great pub. I'm guessing you will be familiar with all the decent places by now. The Town Hall and The Coopers can be a bit rough and ready, but certainly not unpleasant. In fact, the Coopers do a great Sunday roast!

Good to see that you are also into the indie music scene - we have been developing quite a following at The Clare Hotel on Broadway on a Friday night. It's pretty much all indie music, but my mate DJs there, so I always try to mention it when I can! We are off to see the Midnight Jugganaughts the week after next which should be great.

If you fancy coming and hanging out with some indie fans for live music, dancing and a bit of a laugh, then drop me a PM. There are quite a few of us now, but the more the merrier...

S
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. Hope you continue to love it for as long as you're here.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:57 am
Just Joined

niknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really niceniknaknoo is just really nice

thanks for your replies! im glad this post may help new visitors to sydney :-) i have some not typically touristy but nevertheless good ways to see and get a feel for sydney for the new visitors... (if you are interested!)

Catch a Ferry across the Harbour to the Zoo (bit touristy but well fun)

Drive or catch a bus to Tamarama Beach (next to Bondi but not so packed) and Nielsen Park Harbour Beach (very European!)

Have a picnic at the Botanical Gardens, see the Opera House and have evening drinks and canapés at the Opera Bar

Walk the back streets of Newtown and admire all the cute terrace houses, followed by dinner and drinks on King Street or surrounds (I recommend the Bank, the rooftop at the Zanzibar, the Carlisle Castle and the Court House beer garden)

Explore the back streets and hidden parks of Kings Cross and Elizabeth Bay

Drive to Glenworth Valley (one hour north of Sydney) and go free-range horse riding in the rainforest

Go shopping in Surry Hills (Bourke and Crown Sts) followed by dinner and drinks in Darlinghurst or Paddington (The Lord Roberts Hotel, The Stanley and The Cricketers Arms are good pubs and there are great Italian places on Stanley St)

See a band live at the Hopetoun, the Vanguard, the Annandale or Spectrum

Go to Glebe or Paddington Markets on a Saturday

Explore Chinatown! Wait in line for delicious custard Emperor Puffs, go to Yum Cha, window shop for crazy clothes in Market City and waste money on silly trinkets at Paddy’s Market

I've done all these things and more since I've been here, thanks to my fabulous housemates. Can anyone add anything else?

Thanks for the invite to The Clare, Swerv-o, I will have to come down and check it out :-)
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Wonderful post. I enjoyed reading it, thankyou. I hope you get to stay longer in Oz too.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

WOW you have a great attitude!...which i am sure lends itself to your positive expereinces...

is so lovely to read of people actualy enjoying australia. i love Sydney and used to work in it...there are some things i don't like about it...and for me personaly i wouldn't want to live there..however..it is a great place to visit..i love the harbour area..and the markets...and just wandering around the city checking things out.....

have you taken a cruise around the harbour..? they are reasonably priced and you have your choices of lunch....or dinner at night cruises.....i haven't done the night one yet..but am planning on it my next visit back home........*tip*.>>..i dont' know why .but i got a thrill out of going under the Harbour Bridge..hehehee..

Enjoy~
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

markinhull is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you are enjoying Sydney. I am planning to spend the first 2 years of my stay there due to work and after reading your comments I cannot wait.

Newtown sounds like an good place to be. Can you recommend any of the other suburbs of Sydney to be based from.

Thanks
Mark
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markinhull
Glad you are enjoying Sydney. I am planning to spend the first 2 years of my stay there due to work and after reading your comments I cannot wait.

Newtown sounds like an good place to be. Can you recommend any of the other suburbs of Sydney to be based from.

Thanks
Mark
Glad you're enjoying Sydney Nikola... S-j x
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

gelectrox is just really nicegelectrox is just really nicegelectrox is just really nicegelectrox is just really nicegelectrox is just really nicegelectrox is just really nicegelectrox is just really nicegelectrox is just really nice

I'm moving tomorrow (to Sydney) cannae wait. I'm printing out this message board. My mate told me about the parrots I can't wait to see them
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by niknaknoo
hello everyone!

Nikola
....and you havent visited melbourne yet-that will be an eye-opener, one of the classiest cities on earth
Old May 27th 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Boweaver will become famous soon enough

Yeah, in line with others replying I wanted to say what a refreshing post this was in regards to Australia and specifically Sydney. Hoping to be there for September myself and going through the highs and lows of taking such a big decision, feeling positive now