Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 months on - small update

3 months on - small update

Old Dec 24th 2006, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months on - small update

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Something Qld might achieve in 2090...............

You're being optomistic aren't you
Old Dec 24th 2006, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi sorry to hear you are so homesick but go on hang in there. A great informative post, so helpful for us still waiting. Wishing you a merry christmas and all the best for 2007 Donna & Neil
Old Dec 24th 2006, 8:11 am
Est
Forum Regular

Est is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: 3 months on - small update

I am feeling exactly the same. We have been away from home since 19 november and have travelled around the far east for a few weeks got to perth 10 december, spending christmas in adelaide and new year in melbourne - we are arriving in brisbane on 3 january.

I am struggling beyond belief. I am really missing my family. I really have been in tears most days since we left. I would appreciate any more advice on this and would really like to meet anyone else in the same situation in Brisbane in January. I didnt think I was such a big softy.

I agree with the goodbyes in airport as it was very very upsetting but I would not have had it any other way.

Esther
Old Dec 24th 2006, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[.[/QUOTE]

Cheers for the post Liver bird , hang in there, hope it gets easier for you.

Dave
Old Dec 25th 2006, 9:45 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
....actually LG, you can meet some grotbags as well
(only joking nikki ). we too felt like you, but we are getting there now (i think). it really does get easier, honest. it does help to meet up with other people, even if it's just one or two people.

please dont give up the fight yet, it took you a lot of time and effort to get to australia. you can also pm me as well (my pm box is empty, as no buggar wants to chat to me )

Michelle !!!

You made it too- seems so long ago that chat we had about Oz and Migration agents..

Hope you had a fantastic Christmas and have a great New Year !

Nick
Old Dec 26th 2006, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Liver Bird

Great post

Wendy
x
Old Dec 26th 2006, 7:16 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi love!!!!

Good to hear from you. I've been looking out for your post.
I hear what your saying in your post - all the wondering and worrying if you've made the right move,will or wont stay etc. The 2nd time I went out to oz I felt the same way and almost felt as though everything and everyone out there was going against me and just not meant to be - but here I am, 3 years later trying to go back!
I think it's all about BALANCING the good and bad sides of Oz AND the Uk. Both have good and bad sides to them. If you can achieve a better lifestyle out in Oz AND afford to come back for visits often enough then that to me is the best of both worlds. If you come back to the Uk, it'd be fantastic for a year or two but all the old annoyances are still there - just as there are things in Oz which you wont like.
It's really hard,I know - that's why I also came back to the Uk, but I'm a few years down the line now with a bit more cash under my belt to afford me a decent set up over there and hopefully then be able to afford to come back to the UK for visits when I want to.
My advice darl??? Get into things you weren't into in the Uk - sports/clubs etc, make huge efforts to meet new people,travel around the country or up/down the coasts and go inland,get your house just the way you want it and ................ DO come back for a visit -you just might see the UK very differently and see that the move to Oz was a positive one.
Nothing needs to be forever darl. Tyr to aim for a couple of years out there and enjoy all of it while your there. Anything longer tha that is a bonus. You could even stick it out to get your residency and come back to the Uk for a few years. SO many options, so don't feel like your trapped,ok?
PM me any time and thanks for the tip about getting the dog tested for the echithingy well before the actual test pre flying out.
Your a star liverbird, your doing brilliantly - keep doing what your doing.

*pearly*

( fog bound,damp and currently -2 degrees!! )
Old Dec 26th 2006, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

found your story and the replies so far very interesting and moving.... i've been here just over three years, same as pollyanna, who is great at putting into words what i'm thinking - so often! i've just had an email from my sister back in birmingham telling me about her christmas day and that she wished i was there - well so do i wish i was there at the moment!
sometimes i read these bland posts on here from people that they arrived, have wonderful well-paid jobs, the massive house with the pool, everything new, get the big 4 wheel drive, have heaps of friends and live happily ever after... if thats all true! it can be very different....
we have struggled along, coped with deaths in england, twice my husband has gone back for funerals to be with the family, i had five weeks in hospital when it was touch and go - sister came out to be with me which was just marvellous, and money has been very tight at times. i believe i got the absolute best care while i was ill though, both in northern nsw where we live and in brisbane where i was sent to, and i have no medical insurance... did not wish i was back in birmingham then!
we have alot of friends both expats and aussies and a bit of a social life, we go to the clubs (not nightclubs) mostly, but hubby really misses the pub life he was used to in england. barbies are just not his scene, so we now don't get asked to many as said no too often!
to get a normal "office" job for me had become my daily challenge. cv requirements are so precise, they want reams of "documented" and "proven" history... i am very lucky to get an interview, in fact i've only had one! my jobs so far... telesales - soul destroying and poorly paid, sewing (alterations)in a cleaners (he sacked me after 3 months for being too slow!) working in a timber factory - heavy work, on your feet all day - too much ( i was ill then and did'nt know it) howevre, it is good not to have to wear a fluro shirt anymore, not the best look!!! so i've not worked in over a year now, done a bit of sewing for the theatre company and dance school and i am now thinking that there may not be a job i can get which i like.... instead i am hoping to rent a shop, there is a little business for sale which is hopefully the way to go next...
we have made a huge mistake with the property we have moved to, but thats another story. we downsized and had to get ris of loads of stuff... i'm sentimental and its been awful....just don't feel 'at home' in this house though it is getting better.
its not all bad...every day i think how lucky we are to live is such a beautiful place and want to see much more of australia in the future, but..... its about balance, and people are who you really miss the most nad it really does hurt sometimes.
karen
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

thanks I think I need to do something!x
Originally Posted by Nikki
If you go into your pm's there should be a box next to each msg, click each box and then the the bottom of the msgs (right hand side) there is a pull down box with a delete option.

Anyway, I am in NSW, 2 hours from Sydney, Hunter Valley.

Honestly, if you need a chat - clear out that PM box!!! I have met a couple of lovely girls off BE - in person , it has done me the world of good!!!

Nikki x
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

[will pm you!QUOTE=Sleeping Beauty]....actually LG, you can meet some grotbags as well
(only joking nikki ). we too felt like you, but we are getting there now (i think). it really does get easier, honest. it does help to meet up with other people, even if it's just one or two people.

please dont give up the fight yet, it took you a lot of time and effort to get to australia. you can also pm me as well (my pm box is empty, as no buggar wants to chat to me )[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=egghead4]
Originally Posted by liver bird
Hi, been here nearly three months, still horribly homesick and wish every day we could go back (numerous reasons) but going to try and hang on in there.

hope you feel better soon, take advantage of BE site and talk to people. sounds like there are a lot of people on here who are experiencing the same emotions as you. hope you have a lovely christmas
bec and egg

thank you so much and happy christmas to you too x
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wb800
Know exactly how your feeling.Where are you in oz were in the sunshine coast
We're about an hour away from you in The Gap in Brisbane? sorry you're feeling it too, its truly horrible . Hope you have a lovely christmas xx
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
Nice honest post Liver Bird.Give it a bit more time.Give it your best shot.Xmas is a horrible time when your missing folks back home.
Hope you and yours have a Happy Christmas and a better New Year

Thank you so much and sorry to be such a miserable cow on Christmas, always a bad idea posting when you feel bad but people are so kind x
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Hey LiverBird, welcome to Brisbane.
I still catches me out that the shops close at 5pm on Saturdays, and I've been back here for near 2 years!
Also agree with some of the supermarket stuff, but I'm afraid that may have to be a lifestyle change for you - making food instead buying readymade. I've gotta say tho, I find there's MORE choice in supermarkets here.
When my Australian vegetatarian friend has visited me in England, she can't believe all the vegetarian food she can buy! I'm not veg. but i used to prefer quorn burgers to others.
J

I know thanks!! I did make loads in the UK but it was all quorn based!! (and nipped off to m and s for special treats! and chocolate! I just can't find a decent replacement
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smiths
Hi Liverbird

We arrived 14 October to QLD and are in Ormiston. Too early to say whether we'll settle or not. This is not a good time of year and with hindsight think maybe Marchish would be the best time, but due to various circumstances came in October. Feel very bored and lonely but I guess that is to be expected and I'm sure it will get better. I'm sure you will have a good Christmas with your little ones - you have to be positive for their sakes. Try to keep smiling

Heather

Hi, sorry you feel this way too. Agree with you on the Christmas front. Doesn't help that it's been raining as just wish I was back home ! If you want to meet up, we go to manly for the fish n chips! next tiem we're out that way or you're in town (as we're still waiting to buy a car!) then you're more than welcome to meet for coffee or pm me for our phone number if you just need someone to talk to x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.